It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2002, 03:48 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Lisa T HB User
Question Medic alert bracelet

My neuro has never said anything about a medical alert bracelet, is this something I should bring up? How many of you wear them? What all does it tell??

Hope everyone has a very peaceful holiday!!!!

Lisa

Old 12-18-2002, 03:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
I feel they are VERY important. They come in different styles and do not really stand out too much, some are more subtle. EMT and hospital personnel are trained to look for them. You can have so much info in your file that could be helpful!! Well worth it I feel. There are other versions in Drug stores that are cheaper and do not have a fee.

I do not leave home with out mine for drug allergies and asthma...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2002, 07:16 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi Lisa,
I wouldn't go without my medic alert bracelet personally. On the back, there is information that informs emergency personnel that I have a seizure disorder, and gives basic info. It also gives an 800 number to call to get more detailed information like my medications and any allergies I have, along with emergency contact phone #'s. In my opinion, every person with a seizure disorder should wear one. My son is very involved in rescue. He says that all ambulance/fire/police personnel are instructed to look for medic alert jewelry. I'm not sure about the ones you get at the pharmacy, but I'd make sure that they give similar contact info/medical information. My bracelet cost me around $35.00, which is very inexpensive insurance for my care, and allows me to feel safe when I'm out in the public. Be well, Kathy

Old 12-29-2002, 01:41 PM   #4

Pacemaker52 HB User
Cool

It is real important for the EMS Personel to know
what you kind of medical condition you may have. I am
a EMT, and I train EMT'S, I also have had seizures. I
explain to them the importance of looking for medic
alert Id's
Peace & Happy New Year
Pacemaker (Steve)

Old 12-30-2002, 02:40 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Lisa T HB User
How do you go about picking one? They really seem to range in prices. What should i look for? I'm not worried about fancyness or anything like that, I just want to make sure i get one that will tell what i need it to tell and not cost an arm and leg.

Thanks everyone!
Lisa

Old 12-30-2002, 06:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
The medic alert ones are have some that are not too expensive. You can go to the drugstore and see what they have. SOme the engraving is free, whatever you want on there. Might want to ask neuro just what he thinks you should put on there. Try a web search for them, too for other makers...

Old 01-05-2003, 09:32 PM   #7

pretty_kitty HB User
I bought mine at Walgreens for ten or fifteen dollars. I changed medications a while ago, and then moved. My medication allergies are on there, blood type address and phone number. All kinds of stuff like that. Even if my purse is lost or stolen or something awful like that, someone has a chance to help me in the event of sickness. I urge you to get one.

-Kitty

Old 01-06-2003, 11:17 AM   #8
Inactive

nicola76 HB User
Thumbs up

My hubby wants me to go ahead and get a Medic-Alert bracelet now that I'm back at work. I'm looking into getting one of those Medic-Alert watches. They're really smart looking without being too obvious.

Take care!

Nic

Old 04-22-2003, 06:23 AM   #9

Kz3boys HB User
Wink

I would like information on how to find the medic alert watches? I cannot find them on the internet. My sons diabetic educator said she seen one and that they were nice. He graduates from high school this spring and I would like to get him one as a gift. Any one know where I can find them? thanks so much!

Old 04-22-2003, 06:26 AM   #10

Kz3boys HB User
Can you tell me where I can find the medic alert watches you speak of? thank you for your help!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by nicola76:
My hubby wants me to go ahead and get a Medic-Alert bracelet now that I'm back at work. I'm looking into getting one of those Medic-Alert watches. They're really smart looking without being too obvious.

Take care!

Nic

Old 04-27-2003, 04:21 AM   #11

ishake2003 HB User
Talking

Definitely get one. It could save your life. I know it did mine. I seized in a public place and the Paramedics would have given me a lethal dose of a drug that I was allergic to if I did not have an ID.

I have a very expensive silver bracelet that I like to wear for nicer occasions, but regularly I go with the cheapest one I can find. I have been changing meds quite frequently so I get a new one each time it changes. Good luck.

Old 05-04-2003, 12:08 AM   #12

parachronistic HB User
I use a Medic Alert neclace. I cant talk just before I have a seizure and I can give someone the neclkace just before it occurs. I use the service from the Medic Alert foundation and they call my doctor, and my nearest relative. I was motivated to buy one after a bystander tried to perform CPR on me during a generalized seizure. It really does help calm people down.

Closed Thread