It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2003, 04:54 AM   #1

Islander HB User
Question marajuana therapy for epilepsy

Hey all you folks.
Well, I was wondering about something. I was watcing tv the other day, the discovery channel to be exact. The show was about San Francisco and it's less than strict drug laws. One of the subjects was RX marajuana. They said that if you had a RX you could pick up pot at any number of places. One of those places was run by a man who has epilepsy. He said that he was perscribed pot for his seizure problem. Anyone know anything about this? Is this just a line or what? It sounds like a guy who likes to smoke pot, and thinks he can get around the police this way. He probably made up the epilepsy because it is so hard to diagnose. But then again you never know. Just wondering, it has peaked my interest. All of you out there take care of yourself.
Islander

Old 02-18-2003, 10:26 PM   #2

Piano HB User
Don't know anything about this, but started thinking while reading this. Maybe it's just me, but I seemed to be in more control when I was smoking pot. Or maybe I was just too stoned to notice! I quit three years ago. But I'm still all for legalizing it. It has so many medicinal qualities.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2003, 02:56 AM   #3

nicola_76_uk HB User
I agree that marajuana therapy can help with patients who are in a lot of pain (caner patietnts for example) but I'm not quite sure about epilepsy. Its a debate that could go on for ages!

I'm also in favor of legalizing marajuana.

Anybody else have any opinions?

Take care everybody!

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Nic

Old 02-19-2003, 10:25 PM   #4

violarose HB User
I pondered if I wanted to answer this post. I smoked pot recreationaly before i got sick. And then started to smoke pot for medical reasons. Pot lightens my load of life easier. It doesnt take away my pain, but it relaxes me. Makes the pain more tolerable. Or sometimes i just feel so terrible, emotionally- because this was not how I planed to be. marijuna has a small percantage, tiny anti seizure effect. so this is my thought, I would never tell somebody "hey go smoke it". but I also dont want somebody telling me not to either.

Old 02-20-2003, 06:59 AM   #5

nicola_76_uk HB User
Are there any other states beside California that have ok'd marajuana for medicinal purposes? Over here in Europe Holland and either Switzerland or Sweden (I think its Sweden) have legalized marajuana completely. There's talk of legalizing it here in Britain.

I personally don't have a problem with people using it to unwind or for medicinal purposes.

Old 02-24-2003, 03:51 PM   #6

pineapple35 HB User
I smoke pot on occasion and I have never felt any seizure activity while doing so. I have read before, though, that marijuana on the streets and marijuana in the clinic is different. I don't know if this is true, but hey i'm for legalization.

Old 03-18-2003, 08:46 PM   #7

Piano HB User
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one here for legalizing pot. To tell you the truth, I would much rather see my friends smoke pot than drink. I'm not saying ganja is completely healthy, but it is WAY better for you than alcohol. And keep in mind, I don't even smoke the stuff anymore. But I still want it legalized!

Old 03-19-2003, 02:39 AM   #8
Inactive

Lefora HB User
I would have to disagree about marijuana controlling seizures or at least in my case.

I smoked weed from 14-16 and it was when I was stoned one time that I had a nasty seizure. It was also the point I stopped smoking weed.

Contrary to popular belief, weed speeds up your heart rate (listen to your heart going wild when stoned)and epilepsy quite often flares up when someone is under stress. Increased heart rate is stress.

I'm not against weed. If you think it might work for you, do it in a safe place, but I certainly won't be recommending it as an epileptic remedy. It's not a safe one, you may as well get drunk and stay drunk and most know the side effects of too much alcomahol.

Good luck.

Old 05-13-2003, 03:35 PM   #9
(female)

bete HB User
My son has had seizures. I was recently researching again on the internet and noticed that marijuana is listed as especially to avoid.

What can be done to prevent the condition?
Damage to a fetus during pregnancy and delivery may increase the risk of seizures. Women with high-risk pregnancies should be monitored closely.
Many childhood infections can be prevented by appropriate vaccination. Following sports safety guidelines for children, adolescents, and adults can prevent some injuries.
Many times, there is no way to prevent epilepsy. Once it is diagnosed, individuals can lower their risk of seizures by taking the following steps: • avoiding excess alcohol • avoiding illegal drugs, especially marijuana and cocaine • getting enough sleep • limiting intake of stimulants such as caffeine • recognizing and avoiding known factors that trigger their own seizures • seeking prompt treatment for fever and illness • taking all medicines as prescribed

This info was on two different websites before I came to this healthboards. I also would like more info on this.

Closed Thread