It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2003, 09:04 PM   #1

pretty_kitty HB User
Post bitten tongue

I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out what to do about my bitten tongue. I had a seizure the day before Mother's day in the middle of the night in the middle of the street. It was bad enough that I was sitting in the rain in a puddle having a seizure right before Mother's day had officially started, but my bf had forgotten that I had given him my cell phone and he had it in his pocket. He was going to go to a payphone and leave me sitting there. Everyone was looking at me and I had actually stopped traffic for a period of time. There were people from like bus stops that had come over to see me. The good news I guess is that I was not hit by a car, and that people were there to help me. (eventually I was able to communicate to my bf that he had my cell phone to call a ride, and he never left) But I had did a pretty good number on my tongue. How do I fix it? Surely there is something that can help a little? (edible neosporin kind of thing?)
thank you

Old 05-18-2003, 09:28 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mommajessibelle HB User
i do this all the time and there isnt really a whole lot you can do the good thing is the tougne actually heals fairly fast i have grand mals and i bite the right side of my tougne every time it sucks i know what i do is i bought this stuff at walmart in the mouth wash section its called peroxil colgate makes it it helps alot so does listerin if you cant find the peroxil just mix some mouth wash with peroxide and wash your mouth out with that its the same thing and a heck of a lot cheaper lol just do that a every time you eat and throughout the day i also wewnt and bought some baby orajel and put on the bite it seems to be stronger and last a little longer than the stuff for adults but i only do that when i want to eat i hope this info is helpful i did call my dr about it one time and they gave me some stuff to rinse my mouth with it was suppose to numb it so i could eat and it was also suppose to be a disinfectant but it just tasteded awful and it didnt help with the pain at all

mother of 3
Melissa 9, Brandon 8, and MaeLynn 6

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2003, 09:42 PM   #3

pretty_kitty HB User
It's been about two years since last I had bitten my tongue. I have to say that I bit it worse last time, it hurt a whole lot worse then, but it is very uncomfortable. I have like twiches or something that rub the tongue and teeth together. I have been trying to ignore it, but it doesn't stop. Does this happen to anyone else? Is there something wrong with it to make it want to jump or jerk or whatever the word is? This has only been happening the last couple of days. Not once did it happen the last time. There has been added stress the last couple of days, my father had recently passed.(the Tuesday after Mother's day) This Mother's day was just destany not to be a good one for me.
-Kitty

Old 08-01-2005, 02:44 AM   #4
(male)

fujitaf5 HB User
Re: bitten tongue

Sob. I'm up at 5:40am worrying about my biten tongue. I bit it twice in the past five days very badly now it's so swollen I can't even eat. I have to slim fast to get anything down. Also...my lips is not deveoping blisters all over it...and scabs where th bites are. It's been a horrile nightmare because I can breath okay, but I cant SWALLOW because gets in the way. I can't sleep, and when I do I have nightmares.
I"m going to the DR. today at 8:30am and prayine he won't send me to the hospital. The lip really does look bad, but then again, I don't see what more they could do for me there anyway.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:20 AM   #5
(male)

fujitaf5 HB User

Oh brother,
I had once before had THRUSH and that is exactly what is wrong again. Please note this about thrush.

Oral thrush is a yeast infection of the mucous membranes of the mouth and tongue. The Causes, incidence, and risk factors thrush is caused by are a fungus called Candida albicans. This organism lives in your mouth and is usually kept in check by healthy organisms that also live there. However, when your resistance to infection is low, the fungus can grow, leading to lesions in your mouth and on your tongue.

The following can lessen your resistance to infection and increase your chances of getting thrush:

Taking antibiotics or steroid medications
Having HIV or AIDS
Receiving chemotherapy for cancer or drugs to suppress your immune system following an organ transplant
Being very old or very young
Being in poor health
Having diabetes

Well, last time I went to emergency (after that seizure then getting thrush)...they presecribed ANTIBIOTICS. I want to sue so bad now! I'm not the type but they prescribed exactly what would give it to me again. Some how the seizures, the bites, and thrush are all related. Maybe it's a sign I'm a little chemically out of whack.
Thanks all
FujitaF5

Old 08-01-2005, 04:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

Like Mother's Day in May??? If it's still bothering you that much, your doc needs to see it....same with having thrush-- another very common cause of thrush is being ON antibiotics, so they generally give an anti-fungal/anti-candida medication....you could try some baby teething gel- just for the discomfort part- won't do a thing if you DO have thrush, but if it's been a couple of months, and it's still that sore, your doc should take a peek.... I bite my tongue and inside of my cheeks with night seizures- usually at least weekly (to varying degrees- sometimes my cheeks are spared, and sometimes my tongue doesn't get the brunt), and it does hurt quite a bit, but it should heal fairly quickly (like days, not weeks or months)...
also, sucking on an ice cube (but not after the teething gel, as that can numb your throat if you swallow some of it) can help with the swelling.... best of luck

Last edited by neurowreck; 08-01-2005 at 04:15 PM.

Closed Thread