It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aquaticgirl HB User
What does it feel like to have a seizure?

I'd love to know.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
(female)

Riston HB User
Re: What does it feel like to have a seizure?

The symptoms can vary. My worst seizure was a drop down. It began by a sense of trembling in my entire body, a sense of cold wind blowing against my skin, sweating, a metallic taste in my mouth, a sense of impending death and I was very short winded. These symptoms were my forewarning. About seven minutes later, I felt like a sudden jolt of electricity shot from my feet to the top of my head. I attempted to run to get my daughter but felt myself collapsing. I fell across the bed to reach the phone to call 911. I became unable to make my arms or legs to work. I had an out of body experience, I saw myself from behind myself. A sense of a second person (presence) began to talk to me and instruct me as to what I should do. When everything went out of me, it felt like a thousand butterflies flew out of my chest and it took my breath away. I blacked out. I do not know what actually happened then because no one was with me. I came to momentarily, on the floor ,and the second presence was talking to me and telling me to pick up the phone. I saw only a "huge" phone and everything else was black. I argued with the second person (presence) that I could not move and it insisted that I could, so suddenly I began to speak to 911 and I apparently told them that I was in distress. Things went black again and then it was five hours later. Just like I blinked. I only have a few flashes and they were quite painful. It felt like my hands and feet were dead but they hurt, like they were thawing out, after being frozen.

I had a seizure last week and I can recall the entire episode. I also had a seizure and ran into the back of a truck. I remember seeing the truck as I was approaching it but I though that I was dreaming. Thank God no one was hurt. I remember telling the policeman that I did not know what had happened. I can be watching a movie and blink and it will be over.

Anyhow, I have been diagnosed with right temporal epilepsy and now take medication. If I get plenty of sleep and am not under stress, I do just fine. I have become a recluse because I fear that I will have one and have the amnesia again.

My son also has right temporal epilepsy and he has the amnesia. He once brought home a strange man. His wife and son were horrified. My son has absolutely no recollection of any of that, none whatsoever.

BTW I lost my drivers license for six months, after I was diagnosed. I had been misdiagnosed until the "big" drop down. The EEG found my problem.

I hope this gives you some idea of what a seizure can be like. Not all seizures are the same. The symptoms vary, according to whether the seizure is localized or spreads to other parts of the brain.

Regards:

Riston

The Following User Says Thank You to Riston For This Useful Post:
scorporon (11-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
(male)

jerrytom HB User

Most of what I know about what a seizure feels like is what the recovery is because I have complex partials that sometimes generalise. I usually don't get an aura like many people do, if I do I feel very cold for a few seconds or I can't stay awake. When I come around after a seizure, I hurt, my mouth is bleeding, sometimes I break bones and I feel very depressed. I think that's the worst part of it all.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:45 PM   #4
(female)

Riston HB User

I have only had one drop, thank God and I had a warning. I was on the bed when I lost all body functions. I Hope that I never start falling like you do because I have two total knee replacements, two hip replacements and a cervical fusion. I have had falls not related to epilepsy and I always broke something. I guess I am lucky, thus far, that I have warnings.

Do you know why some people have aura and others do not?

Old 12-21-2006, 06:44 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cher1052 HB User

I have had complex-partial motor seizures when I have had them-no auras - I knew that there was a lapse of time-I'd have blank stares. Then after a few minutes would be back to doing what I was doing. My last seizure was in 2003-had surgery-and all has been good for the past 3+ years...Cherie

Old 12-26-2006, 10:24 AM   #6
(female)

what? HB User
Cool Re: What does it feel like to have a seizure?

I'm sorry mamm but please be glad you don't know what it feels like to have a seizure.It's not pleasent.:

Old 12-28-2006, 10:45 AM   #7
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User

Leading up to my Grand Mal seizure I felt really crummy. Didn't know I was having Simple Partial seizures days before, (heck, I didn't know I had Epilepsy!) I just thought the nausea and uncontrollable jerking left hand then arm was pretty irritating. Then one morning it wouldn't stop jerking and everything just went white and I felt nothing. That little seizure had generalized into a Grand Mal. I was out cold for 5-10 mins. I'm told. Afterwards, I felt exhausted, my muscles hurt, I had a killer headache, and needless to say I couldn't figure out why I was in an ER.
The day-to-day Simple Partials and Complex Partials I get now involve lots of nausea, dizziness, plenty of spaciness, confusion and headaches.
Yup. Having seizures is a real blast.

Last edited by dogmom; 12-28-2006 at 10:51 AM.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:01 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

cher1052 HB User
Lightbulb Re: What does it feel like to have a seizure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by what?
I'm sorry mamm but please be glad you don't know what it feels like to have a seizure.It's not pleasent.:
That's right-my seizures are the type that you don't know they are coming-you just know that there was a lapse of time. I've had 1-2 grand mal on xmas 1999-was taken to the hospital-don't even remember much of that day! My case was sent to a nero clinic that was able to work with me-and I had surgery in 2003. Have been seizure free for about 3 years. I was lucky that the surgery helped me. As I look at my type of epilepsy-it seems like nothing-but it was still a big pain for me or anyone who has it. I've had it my whole life. cherie

Old 12-28-2006, 08:39 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

DO NOT TAKE THIS LITTERALLY, it is an example of how it feels having a seizure. Plug yourself into the wall of 110VAC (I.E. shock) loss of blatter black out, feeling "numb". When comming back you are disorientated, not sure how much time has lapsted. In my case speach is impaired, but I can understand what is being spoken. I just can't speak back to the EMT's who are trying to help me (thus they rush me to the hospital).

The seizure experience cannot be fully understood unless you have had a episode. Be it alcohol (or drug) overintoxication or neurogical. They are NOT enjoyable and the medications the Emergency Rooms inject are long lasting and NOT effects we care to have repeated; even though it often happens in repitition.

Think of it as your computer crashing, and YOU being the computer. The reboot may be sleeping it off, or a massive dose of medications provided by the hospital emergency room.

--Travis

P.S. I found out in my OWN experiences that it was best NOT to go to the ER if I did not have physical injuries. The drug overdoses did not help me, but HINDER me in almost all of the cases.

Old 12-31-2006, 02:34 PM   #10
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User

Travis--curious, just what in the heck drugs do they give a patient who is wheeled in after a grand mal? Because I couldn't remember anything for I swear at least a week (if not longer) after I was released!

Old 01-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #11
(female)

felixjunkie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom
Travis--curious, just what in the heck drugs do they give a patient who is wheeled in after a grand mal? Because I couldn't remember anything for I swear at least a week (if not longer) after I was released!
My complex partials generalized for the first time on Christmas day (Merry Christmas to me, haha) and I was taken to the ER and drugged up on Keppra and hooked up to some oxegen. I've been taking Keppra since, I really like the stuff (no seizures, no side-effects), and I think that's something typically used to suppress siezures short-term, effective immediately upon digestion.

But yeah, that sucked. I got my typical aura of intense deja vu, then the complex partial started with a rising/expanding sensation in my torso, and a seperating feeling in my head. I freeze up and can't make my body obey my brain through all this (sometimes I futiley attempt to talk and just end up grunting attractively, lol). Seizures are pretty weird, and you can never quite articulate the feeling to someone who hasn't felt it for themselves.

Apparently my seizure generalized after that because the next thing I knew I was surrounded my paramedics and everything hurt a lot (especially my head), and I was aware that there was a gap in my memory. Then I fell completely dead asleep in a loud, active ER full of barfing sick people, and screaming inured kiddies, and slept for 6 straight hours (my mom couldn't believe the things I managed to sleep through, and she thought I was unconcious at one point, haha). I don't remember if I was drugged into sleep, or if the seizure just took that much out of me. I'm trying to figure out why my seizure generalized in the first place, since that hasn't happened in the 7 years I've been getting complex partials, and I'm worried that my condition is worsening or my brain is degenerating, or something equally undesirable. Has that ever happened to anyone (years of partials and then all-of-a-sudden something more intense)? If anyone has ANY random useless info of any kind I'd be extremely grateful, since I'm kind of new to epilepsy (I was finally diagnosed only 2 years ago), and I don't have any kind of source of info about the progression of the condition, or different treatments. There seems to be plenty of epilepsy veterens around this community, and it would help me to read about other's personal experience. Pretty please?

Old 01-10-2007, 10:26 AM   #12
(female)

what? HB User
Smile Re: What does it feel like to have a seizure?

Please except my apology.I didn't realize you actually experienced any type of seizure.One thing I can say we have in commen is that I have had epilepsy all my life as well.If you're curious please let me know.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Quote:
I had a seizure last week and I can recall the entire episode
Wow, I had one GM seizure, and I remember a lot of it, and my doctors basically told me that was impossible to remember so much of the actual seizure. But I was in bed, and I had been having really bad auras all night, to the point where I was having trouble sleeping, and my neck was really sore from the complex partial seizures. And then all of a sudden, I had another complex partial, but as I was having it, all of a sudden, my whole body just curled up into a ball on its own, and at the same time, I felt pins and needles-like feeling al over my body, and I couldn't breathe. Just all of my muscles were tensed up as hard as they could be, and I tried to scream or make a sound to wake up someone in the house and alert them to what was happening ,but I couldn't do anything. And I couldn't breathe. And then I blacked out and woke up a half hour later. I almost didn't remember what had happened at first. I was about to roll over and go back to sleep, and then I remembered what happened, and realized I had bitten my tongue, so I knew I'd had a GM seizure. I don't know if I've ever talked to anyone else who remembers having an actual GM seizure.

Last edited by SentenceDoing; 01-13-2007 at 12:28 PM.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:34 AM   #14
(female)

eightballgal HB User

I have had several Grand Mal seizures while concious. It starts with an aura then I lose control of my head and hands. This gives me time to lie down. I can hear everything that is said and see everyone in the room. Then after lying down It really starts, my body starts stiffining up, I can feel myself biting my tonge while drooling, then I know its coming to an end when I start frothing at the mouth while making an undescribable noise and trying very hard to breath. Luckily I have now been 7 months seizure free though I am on Trileptal, Frisium, Rivotril and Dilantin, not much of a life without a licence and unable to work, things are definately looking up though. I personally know how you feel and having GMs while concious make you suicidal, the thought of having or even thinking about them is awful. Lets hope we dont experience any more, stuff the doctors its ridiculous to say its not possible

Last edited by eightballgal; 01-17-2007 at 04:36 AM.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:00 PM   #15
(male)

stephenla50 HB User
Thumbs down Re: What does it feel like to have a seizure?

for me it starts of with a feeling of weakness and then gradualy i start to sweat and eventualy iget the feeling of pins and needles all over my body and find myself unable to breath.

Closed Thread