It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2003, 08:36 AM   #1
(male)

UH-60 HB User
Post Car accident led to seizure?

My wife just had her first ever seizure. It was devastating to watch, especially not knowing what was happening at first. Today we meet with the Neuro to find out what happened. Her mom had epilepsy for years, but my wife was tested and always came out clear. She has been getting more migraines lately, so her doctor changed her medicine to Elival. We learned that Elival can cause seizures. She also had a car accident three months ago. She was hit hard on the driver's side. She didn't hit her head too hard but did have a strong whiplash injury. Hopefully the Neuro can sort it all out. It seems that all three things contributed; family history, Elival, car accident.

Old 07-11-2003, 03:23 AM   #2
Inactive

Porkette HB User
Hi,
I'm sorry to hear that your wife was in a car accident and is now having seizures. I've had sz. for 31 yrs. absence (petit mal) and complex partial seizures.
2 yrs. ago I was in an auto accident and had a concussion after hitting the back of my head on the head rest. This increased my seizures and made them more severe.
Just like your wife I have family that has epilepsy also but they have grand mal seizures so I know I didn't inherit the seizures through the family genes. Just like your wife I had terrible migraines before I started having seizures. Over the yrs. I have found that I've gotten much more help seeing an Epileptologist instead of a neurologist, an Epileptologist deals only with epilepsy and I have found that they can help me much better than a neurologist and I'm on fewer drugs.
Tell your wife to get a calendar and start keeping record of all her seizures. Write down the time of day/night the seizure happened along with a discription. Also tell her to write down when she starts and stops her monthly period, often hormonal changes every month can cause seizures for many women. When your wife sees the Dr. take the calendar with you and the Dr. may see a special pattern as to what days of the month or what time of day your wife has any seizures.
Here's wishing your wife and you only the best of luck. May God Bless You Both!

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2003, 07:39 AM   #3

mleah2 HB User
HI,

I too suffer with seizures. I was in a car accident 18 months. Neither myself or anyone in my family ever had seizures before.

I also think that you should keep track of when these seizures occur, this will help your neuro to diagnosis, and if needed prescribe an anti-seizure medication.

I wish you all the luck,
mleah

Old 07-12-2003, 03:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
siezures can be confused with panic attacks from stress or anxiety
elavil, an antidepressant is sometimes used to stop panic attacks

Closed Thread