It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2003, 06:54 AM   #1

Lindakatt HB User
Question Anyone have something that triggers a seizure?

I have a very odd thing that can trigger a seizure for me. It's mostly under control now with meds, but I often "test" myself and find that I can still feel odd, almost like I could have one but don't.

Anyway, the thing is "humidity." If I talk about humidity, someone else talks about humidity, if I look at a humidity meter I have at home (I forget what they're called) or even think about humidity I feel as though I'm about to have a seizure. Even as I type this I feel odd. My doc thinks it is because the meter I have is shiny, but I don't think that's it at all.

My house is dry in the winter, so I have a humidifier to help out. Everytime I look at the thing or have to add water I get this odd feeling.

Very bizarre thing the brain is. I have heard of some people who have seizures if they hear a particular singer, or smell a certain smell. Anyone have any weird stories to share?

Old 01-10-2003, 01:56 PM   #2

Lindakatt HB User
Am I weird or something?? Hahaha...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2003, 06:08 PM   #3
Inactive

Karla HB User
I used to get a seizure everytime I would walk through the laundry soap isle at the grocery store. If I smelt soap at all I would have a seizure. Also flashing lights and lack of sleep would trigger my seizures. However, I had many that just occured for whatever reason I don't know.

Old 01-29-2003, 01:54 PM   #4

poodlecoaster HB User
My aura is that I have a smell like a paint smell from a car body shop. It is also the same smell as when someone has been riding their clutch while going down lots of hills in a straight shift car.

Old 02-08-2003, 10:40 PM   #5

bilbostuff HB User
Smile

Believe it or not, a bowel movement...I go to the bathroom get up, and start feeling it comming...I have no idea why....buy this is my pre-seizure thing..wish I could smell roses or something

------------------
Bilbostuff
Rock on..

Old 02-10-2003, 05:54 AM   #6
(female)

Pearl201se11 HB User
Lights. Lights trigger my seizures, especially bright or flashing lights!

Last edited by Pearl201se11; 12-19-2003 at 10:34 AM.

Old 02-10-2003, 08:23 AM   #7

sekharp HB User
I think that for me, it's sleep deprivation or fatigue. The nights when I've had my worst seizures were either immediately or recently preceded by a lack of sleep. ...

------------------
All of us has an angel, if only we know where to look.

Old 02-26-2003, 03:19 AM   #8
Inactive

James_reg HB User
For me it used to be doors. It used to take me about 5 minutes to open my front door. Good job i was not running from the police or somebody! Then again they would not have to worry about locking me up. Just give me a cloack room and i'll never leave!

[This message has been edited by James_reg (edited 03-01-2003).]

Old 02-26-2003, 03:42 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
Sam's can be from not eating, sleep deprivation is a biggy, sickness especially fighting a bacterial infection, fireworks used to trigger them, but not lately.

Old 02-26-2003, 09:09 PM   #10

pineapple35 HB User
I always had seizures in my sleep-wake cycle. I'd be just about to fall asleep and then I'd have a seizure. Also, sleep deprivation, nervousness, and loud noises.

Old 05-12-2003, 01:08 PM   #11
(female)

Pearl201se11 HB User
For pineapple35: My seizures can start if I hear a loud noise and can be made worse by loud noise that has already started. Is their a connection between seizures and noise?

------------------
Pearl201se11

Old 05-12-2003, 03:41 PM   #12
Inactive

Katiepops HB User
My brother in law also says sleep deprivation and flashing signs. He had never heard anyone else say sleep deprivation so he will be glad to know that others have the same problem.

Old 05-12-2003, 04:34 PM   #13

HawkFan1502 HB User
I have to agree with sleep deprivation for me, plus mine are more related to stress also. If I've been under a lot of stress, I usually have a seizure the next day.

Barb

Old 05-13-2003, 06:52 PM   #14

4shar HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Lindakatt:
I have a very odd thing that can trigger a seizure for me. It's mostly under control now with meds, but I often "test" myself and find that I can still feel odd, almost like I could have one but don't.

Anyway, the thing is "humidity." If I talk about humidity, someone else talks about humidity, if I look at a humidity meter I have at home (I forget what they're called) or even think about humidity I feel as though I'm about to have a seizure. Even as I type this I feel odd. My doc thinks it is because the meter I have is shiny, but I don't think that's it at all.

My house is dry in the winter, so I have a humidifier to help out. Everytime I look at the thing or have to add water I get this odd feeling.

Very bizarre thing the brain is. I have heard of some people who have seizures if they hear a particular singer, or smell a certain smell. Anyone have any weird stories to share?
For me I usually find lights, running water or just staring into lights, right into the core of them. Also the globes on dance floors do not help. The doctor also told me not to look out to the ocean or lake as the water is mesmerizing. Camp fires are also bad, then I also had a thing with MIRRORS. My biggest thing is just staring into these items. DO NOT try these as you want to avoid staring if possible.
My seizures were known as CATAMENEAL since the occured
right around that time of the month.
I asked my doctor if I was hypnotizing myself with the mirror and water but he would not say.

Old 05-14-2003, 09:22 AM   #15

terias HB User
My husband's are triggered by flashing lights...or more specifically, video games. Arcade, Nintendo, whatever! Sleep Deprivation probably didn't help him, though. Now, he pines for an X Box and I won't let him go near them. He's gone for several years without a seizure and I'm not about to let him start now!

Closed Thread