It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2003, 02:32 PM   #1

BrandeNichole HB User
Question Personality Changes

I have a friend who is epileptic and he said that people are telling him that he isnt the same person anymore and that he doesnt seem like himself. We were both wondering if a personality change is common in epileptic people? Or is there certain medications that could cause a personality change. Ive been doing some research but all i can find is that there is electoencephalognaphic evidence of personality changes when using Ataraxic drugs. Can someone help me please??

Old 08-09-2003, 03:18 PM   #2

Fidget HB User
I'm sorry... I am just cruising around the boards and noticed your post. I am an x-user of prescription benzodiazepines (Klonopin, Ativan, etc.) and it is very likely that your friend is on benzos too since that is the original reason they are prescribed for. Benzos are disinhibiting drugs and can certainly change a person's behaviour specifically by taking away fear and anxiety. Looking back on my past behaviour I see that I became a very different person while on them. Now that I'm off I can see this.

If you do a search on benzodiazepines and behaviour some more info should pop up. Doctors don't usually tell patients that these drugs can cause behavoural changes but I sure wish mine had. If you friend sees this info in print he/she may be able to modify their behaviour somewhat.

As for epilepsy itself causing changes I cannot answer that one.

Hope I've offered some help.

[This message has been edited by Fidget (edited 08-09-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2003, 08:40 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mommajessibelle HB User
i was diagnosed with epilepsy when i was 15 years old i am now 22 my family has noticed a big personallity change in me since i was diagnosed i dont know if it becuase of the fact that i now have thishorrible condition or if it has to do with the meds i know that i do get worse with certain meds im on but it kinda seems like the more seizures i have the worse i get im not currently taking meds and i havent been for about 2 months i think and I know that im not the same person i used to be it could be because of the changes that have occured in my life since i was 15 (im now a mother and a wife)or it could just be becuase of the E i dont know im not sure if this answers your question or not but i hope it helped

------------------
mother of 3
ages 4,3,and 1
my pride and joy

diagnosed with epilepsy jan. of 97

live life to its fullest you never know when it may be to late to do all the things you would have done tomorrow

mother of 3
Melissa 9, Brandon 8, and MaeLynn 6

Closed Thread