It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
(female)

Princesspeach HB User
Unhappy Seizure after drinking cold liquids

Please has anyone else encountered this. My 10 year old son has been having seizures since October after drinking a cold liquid. It is not every time, but every 4 - 6 days. The doctor has confirmed that this is not epilepsy, but the seizures he is having certainly look like he is having an epileptic fit. We have been told they are stress related, but the fact that it always happens usually when he is hot and then has an cold drink. Any information would really help, we have not been able to find anyone else with this. Thank you

Last edited by Princesspeach; 01-06-2007 at 08:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User
Re: Seizure after drinking cold liquids

What did they do to try and rule out epilepsy? I've heard that sometimes if the activity is too deep in the brain for the EEG to pick up, it might come back normal and that diagnosis is sometimes dependant on witnesses of the situation. Have they tried manageing him on any medications? Its my advise to do as much research as you can and in the mean time you could consider seeing another neurologist so as to get another opinon on the issue. It might be good to check out some kind of Internal Medicine doctor - Like an Infectious Disease doc or Rheumotologist to see if this is perhaps caused by something else, his primary doc might be able to suggest an apporpriate doc for this situation. His regular primary doctor might be able to help you brain storm on the issue as well. Good luck to you and many blessings. I hope it isn't too long before its figured out and that its nothing serious and easily manageable.

Last edited by PearlDoves; 01-06-2007 at 12:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User

Has he had an MRI of the head? Have they tried to rule out any movement disorders other than epilepsy; because there are many out there, and from what I understand a movement disorder can have things that trigger them as well, such as allergies, smells, environmental factors, difficantcies in things like magnesium or B12 and sometimes emotional things or stress. Medication manamgement can sometimes help but some people look for deeper reasons. I've read that sometimes labs alone may not find the cause, but one might have to look for magnesium problems intercellularly. I've read stories where people have done things as simply as avoiding food allergies or taking supplements and have had great results... it never goes away fully it seems, but one can lead a much more normal life. Hopefully something I've said can help you brainstorm other things that could be going on.

Last edited by PearlDoves; 01-06-2007 at 12:35 PM.

Old 01-06-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
(female)

Princesspeach HB User
Unhappy Re: Seizure after drinking cold liquids

Thank you so much for replying. We have had an eeg, an MRI and a sleep deprived eeg. He is a very stressful child and worries such a lot although he will say he isn't. The consultant has told us that the seizures are due to stress, but they only ever occur when he drinks very cold liquid, ie milk, water, anything with ice, and normally if he is hot such as after any sport, but not always. The common factor in all his seizures is the cold liquid and he always has them when he is either with me or his dad, which the consultant pointed out that this is because he is relaxed. Why do you think he will always have them is this something you have come across as the consultant said the same, but our next appointment with his is in 6 months time! If you do have any further information, we would be most grateful. Thank you.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:53 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User

Well from what I've read, people with movement disorders, the problem can come and go, or seem to disappear for years and then show up again suddenly.

With Seizures, I've heard of people having them in their childhood and then in adulthood they don't ever come back, but for some it still can come back.

Has your son been put on any kind of medication management for the seizures he is currently having to try and prevent them?

Its sometimes good to get a second opinon from other doctors or perhaps another neurologist in general on the situation to make sure he gets the best possible treatment and that everybody agrees on what is happening with him. There could be other insights.

Closed Thread