It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2003, 10:30 AM   #1

jaebird HB User
Question What kind of tests for CP?

What kind of tests will they do on my 6 year old to check for Complex Partials??? Anyone who knows please help, his appointment is less than 2 weeks away . Thanks! Jae

Old 09-17-2003, 01:57 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi,
Some of the most common tests would include an EEG, MRI, CT Scan or PET Scan. Diagnosing any type of seizure takes a long time sometimes. If none of the above tests shows a problem they may do a video EEG. I hope you get the answers you seek. Be well, Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2003, 02:03 PM   #3
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Talking

Hi,
I have simple and complex partials.I would say that,your youngster,will have all the usual tests...eeg to start with,as this test can reveal quite a lot,It certainly showed my problem area (temporal lobe),A cat scan,and or mri,to show if there is anything physically wrong.A physical examination, reflexes etc.I was asked loads of questions about my condition.I am not sure whether,the neuro can get much info from a six year old...but I may be wrong.I can imagine how you feel,but try not to worry too much,I have lived most of my life with this condition(undiagnosed).Thats all I can say really,except if non of these tests show anything,then they will delve deeper into monitoring you youngster for 24 hrs or so.I am sure someone else here may be able to give you more info from personal experience.
Take care.
Garry

Old 09-17-2003, 02:24 PM   #4

jaebird HB User
Garry,
Could you tell me how you feel after having a cp? Ive been trying to get my boy to explain what he feels after one, but usually all I get out of him is I was sick mom. Some days I just want to cry because I dont know what is going on in his little head when he has these , any help is definitely appreciative thanks again

Kathy,
Thanks, I know they wont be doing those tests on this appointment, but I wanted to have a little heads up so I can have them schedule the right tests, thanks

Old 09-17-2003, 04:50 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Garry,
I wish you all the best as you seek to find the best treatment possible for your child.

I have simple partial seizures that secondarily generalize (partials that go on to be gran mals.) The best way I can describe how I feel whenever I have a seizure is to say I feel as if my body is disconnected from my brain. For instance, I try to walk across a room but I end up bumping into furniture because my peripheral vision is way off. I feel dizzy, fuzzy-headed and very, very frightened. Seizures are awful! Hug your little one as much as you possibly can. Believe me it helps!

You'll be in my thoughts, Kathy

Old 09-17-2003, 06:31 PM   #6

jaebird HB User
Kathy,
Thanks much. Just lately it's been the hardest on me because my boy is having so many. Like I said I just want to cry because there isn't anything I can do for him. This makes it harder on my daughter I think because she knows when I am sad and she gets sad. How can I cope with this a little better? please help if you can thanks!

Old 09-17-2003, 09:54 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi Garry,
Unfortunately there is no magic solution to what you are going through. Getting some moral support is a great place to start. If you have a close family member or friend you should cling to her/him! Coming to this board is helpful too. There are many fine people here, and since we've all experienced "E" in some way or another it's a great place to trade info, share our hopes and fears and to have a good laugh or cry with supportive people.

As for your children, my only experience has been through raising three sons, now 29, 27 and 24. I am 49, but didn't begin having seizures until two years ago. I was fortunate in that my guys were old enough to help me, instead of the other way around. My best advice is to be as honest as is age-appropriate. Both of your children should know what is going on in your family, since "E" can be life changing. Explain to them that you are sad about what your son is going through, but that everything will be alright. That way the kids will feel secure. Kids are pretty resilient if they understand what is going on.

I'm sure that you'll feel alot better when you have some answers. Until then, take care of yourself. We'll all be thinking about you. Please don't hesitate to seek support. Kathy

Old 09-18-2003, 07:41 AM   #8

jaebird HB User
Kathy,
Thanks I have talked to both my kids, they do pretty much understand what is going on, although now it's trying to explain to my neices and the one girl I babysit what it is. BTW Im the one who started this thread, and you have been posting to Garry. Just so you know it's my son 6 who may have the complex partials. But thanks for you input I appreciate it very much. Take care, and anyone else who wants to give some input please do.

Old 09-18-2003, 10:06 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi Jae,
OOOOOPS! Sorry. I guess I had another name stuck in my head....then kept going with it.

I guess it would be more difficult to explain everything to the other kids. There are books that help explain "E" to kids, but they don't necessarily explain the pain a parent goes through. Best of luck Jae. Kathy

Old 09-18-2003, 11:30 AM   #10
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Talking

Hi jae,Kathy,
I get different feelings after a siezure,but I am always, really tired straight after,sometimes I may take a nap.Just out of interest,I once had a "do" (as I sometimes call them),I was in my garage,cleaning a motorcycle part,anyway I got that feeling I know only too well,I felt dizzy and sick...it's a sick feeling I can't explain,my head thumps and my left arm hurts.Anyway it ended pretty quickly,but a great feeling of depression came over me,and I can remember thinking this is a waste of time and I just threw the motorcycle part on the floor and walked out,I went into my bedroom and just lay on the bed for awhile,with all sorts going through my head,you know feeling like I am worthless and feeling like everyone is out to get me.
Anyway I dropped asleep and woke up just a few hours later feeling lethargic...but I'm used to it all now.
Garry

Old 09-18-2003, 04:47 PM   #11

jaebird HB User
Kathy,
No worries, it happens LOL. It's harder on my daughter than me I think sometimes. One time last year I just thought about this, but my son must have had one of his episodes cuz he was fine one minute, and the next he pushed his sister off the bed and hit her . So he does tend to get a little violent after one and usually I just have him lay down somewhere and take a nap that way he wont hurt himself or his sister. Take care and thanks again

Garry,
Thanks, I think it helps a little with what I need to ask my son. It's hard to describe a feeling I want to ask him if he's having u know :S anyway, thanks for all the help, it's getting closer to his appt. now and Im getting even more nervous . Well best of luck to you take care

Closed Thread