It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007, 08:49 AM   #1
(female)

amydianne1 HB User
Question for moms about kids w/epilepsy

Hello~

I am wondering if any moms have information on the chances of your children getting this as well. Or, if anyone has kids that have it as well. From what I remember when I was pregnant, I don't think the odds were that great of you passing it along.

My daughter is 2 1/2 and my husband was playing with her the other night and he said that she all of the sudden looked kind of out of it, she clenched her fists and froze and just looked like she "wasn't there", he said that it was alot like what I will do (I have temporal lobe epilepsy). He called me and when I went in her room she just wasn't responding to us, she was awake, but had kind of drifted off like she didn't even realize that we were there. A few minutes later, she was fine and back to her normal self. (This is the only time this has happened).

I don't want to be paranoid (and I'm sorry if I sound it) but after dealing with this for years myself, I'm afraid I am. It is probably nothing and may never happen again, but I am just a little worried.

Thanks so much!
Amy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: Question for moms about kids w/epilepsy

I need to pull my notes; but if you boil it down; less than 1% of epiletics have an "inherited" form of seizures (i.e. born with) but is does have a SLIM effect if the parents have seizures.

Got some of my notes from the presentation...

If ONE parent has (sorry technical terms here) "idiopathic epilepsy" there is a 4% chance of of the child developing it

if BOTH have idiopathic epilepsy it jumps to 20-30%

The chance of developing epilepsy in children with
mothers who are epileptic 5%
fathers who are epileptic 2.4%
general population 1-3%

In identical Twins if ONE develops epilepsy there's a 80% chance both will have epilepsy.

NOW for SYMPTOMATIC Epilepsy

If the Father has it, there's a 2.4% chance of the child developing it
If it's from the Maternal side, 5-8% of developing

If a sibling has symptomatic epilepsy, the risk is not different from that of the general population (1-3%)
Same with if a relative has it (1-3%)

There are relations TO Epilepsy from other diseases. (I can't use the word genetics as much as I want to, it's invalid)

Hope that helps a little bit..

Boil it down, if Grandma and Mother both had seizure conditions THEN there's a good chance thats a family that does have the rare inherited type (my friend is a good example of that).

BUT there are no actual GENES that they can look for to find "epilepsy" as they can with other diseases. The majority of cases are Brain injury, infection, sometimes unknown possible a medicine or body reaction that caused it to begin.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2007, 07:04 AM   #3
(female)

amydianne1 HB User

Travis~

Thank you SO much for all of your information, I truly appreciate it.

I had uncontrolled seizures for years and finally have them at least somewhat controlled (thanks, Lamictal!). I know I am jumping the gun a bit, but the thought of my daughter having to go through the same thing worries me to say the least, but looks like I may just be being overly cautious!

Again, thank you so much, your information is great.

Amy

Last edited by amydianne1; 01-10-2007 at 07:05 AM.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

You may want to tell the Dr about it for the record (say it was a stare off). Usually they won't go with medications unless the child has MULTIPLE seizures. Sometimes tempratures over 102 can cause seizures in children. But I'd still make a notation of it for the record just in case she has another episode so you know when the first one that you noticed happened.

If it is diagnosed as seizures, she may out grow them. That can happen with young children. So best advice is keep an eye on her. And as you know from your own case, if a GM hits THEN run to the ER as my folks did for my first (and only) cluster.

--Travis

Closed Thread