It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2003, 10:16 AM   #1

CaliGirl InBeanTown HB User
Post Kappra/Trileptol

Hi there, I just found this message board, and it sounds like exactly what I need. I have had partial complex seizures for about five years(due to a congenital malformation). I took Tegretol for about 4 years and it worked great. No complaints whatsoever. I started having seizures again so my doctor increased the dosage which helped for a few months, but my memory has worsened and I don't feel as sharp. Recently I started having partials again, so my doctor wants to put me on Dilatin. A family friend who is a neurologist said he did not feel this was right for me and suggested Kappra as a first choice and Trileptol as a second.
I've been reading some of the postings on here about Kappra, and I am terrified now. I just started a masters program and I am so busy it's crazy. I barely have time to spend a night out with my boyfriend once a week let alone need a minimum of nine hours of sleep a night(which I read in someone's reply regarding Kappra) I am frightened to go on a new medication that is going to make me exhausted, possibly cause me to be depressed and moody, and so forth. I feel so much pressure from school right now and I have two more years to go!
I guess I am wondering if anyone knows of factual websites about Kappra/Trileptol/Dilantin that are good. Also I just need to vent and get some moral support. Have others gone through the switch from Tegretol to any of these drugs? Okay, deep breaths.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2003, 12:01 AM   #2
(female)

yolo HB User
Angry

If I were you I would think twice about using Keppra. It sucked I was on 2500 mg a day. Plus two other meds and I had a hard time functioning. I couldn't get up in the morning to get my child off to school. I slept till 1pm each day. The Keppra made me want to kill myself. I was biting off my husbands head for no reason I was going crazy. Their are lots of AED that are out there Put Keppra at the end of the list if you can.
I didn't say all this to scare you but this is what happened to me.
God bless you good luck.

Yolo

Old 10-09-2003, 05:59 AM   #3

Tigre HB User
I have been on 2000mg of keppra a day now for 4 or so months. In the beginning i was a touch tired but so far its done well for me. I also have partial complex seizures (from a head injury) and I was first put on topamax...which i feel is a drug from hell. What works for some may not work the same for others but keppra has been great for me. Good luck on finding the right meds.

Tigre

Old 10-13-2003, 02:56 PM   #4

Anapier330 HB User
Hello,

I have been using Trileptol for over a year now. In the beginning I was very tired all of the time, but that has gone away. I have had a few problems in the last month or so. I have trouble remembering things or getting thoughts put into words. For the most part I have had no side effects until recently.

Trileptol seems to have worked well for me. I hope this helps a little..

Alissa

Closed Thread