It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
(male)

zachboy HB User
can sleep apnea cause seizures?

The only time I have a seizure is when I sleep on my stomach. My retired neurologists once stated that it's most likely caused by a lack of oxygen. I just read from a website that sleep apneas are caused by lack of oxygen? Doe ENTs treat sleep apnea?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
(male)

IMNRVUS HB User
Re: can sleep apnea cause seizures?

It's different for everybody but YES, it can and does. Something in your sinuses, and/or throat, close off... causing you to stop breathing... which is sleep apnea. I've heard that it can happen hundreds of times a nite. With me, it's my sinuses that are the problem, and only when I'm on my back. Congestion isn't helping any. I had a seizure a few nights ago because of it. Can't take decongestants with phenytoin either... so saline solution helps. ENT doctors treat sleep apnea, but there's tests you go through first.

Last edited by IMNRVUS; 01-15-2007 at 09:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
(male)

zachboy HB User
Re: can sleep apnea cause seizures?

Thank you for the information IMNRVUS. The last seizure I had was in September where I nearly wrecked a new bed I just baught. I've had epilepsy all my life but these sleep seizures never started until 1995. I was getting overweight back then. I've lost all that weight but I've heard you cannot loose weight in your neck?
I'm going to set up an appointment with my physician tomorrow. Since my nuerologists retired last year my physician has been writing my tegretol prescriptions. He'll either direct me to a new neurologists or maybe an ENT for the sleep apnea.

Last edited by zachboy; 01-14-2007 at 06:55 PM.

Closed Thread