It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2003, 11:48 PM   #1
(female)

HelloKathy HB User
Post SEIZURES HAPPEN AROUND YOUR PERIOD?? good news for you!

I have seizures just around the time of my period. I have tried every antiseizure medication and nothing has worked. Finally I found something that works that I want to share with you all! If you believe that your seizures are caused by your hormones then you are in luck. You have something known as catamenial epilepsy. I have been seeing a top notch doctor at Harvard who has researched this and here is what I have found... A few days before your period starts your progesterone levels begin to drop and your brain is sensitive to this causing you to have seizures. If you simply take a Natural Progesterone lozenge or use a cream(they are sold on the web by companies like Life flo and Progest) during the second half of your cycle, your period will become regular and you won't have any seizures. If you are currently on any sort of birth control, stop taking it because it is most likely an estrogen pill which only increases the seizures. Make sure that the Progesterone is not synthetic because it doesn't work the same way as the natural stuff. I know, I have tried. I hope this information helps someone out there. Let your neurologist know and he/she should be able to have the lozenges made in a lab for you. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Old 03-24-2003, 05:00 AM   #2
Inactive

Lefora HB User
Hey that's really interesting stuff and thanks for sharing. Since I 'grew' into my epilepsy at around the time I began to go through puberty, I'm wondering if mine would be similar to yours? Were you born with it? (I can't confirm nor deny the monthly cycle thing for many reasons.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2003, 12:03 AM   #3
(female)

HelloKathy HB User
Nope, I wasn't born with it but I have had it since my early twenties. I think that I've always had symptoms of it all my life. The dejavus have been with me forever but my seizures started about 4 years ago. I was on the pill for a long time while I was having the seizures and it never occured to me that the pill was what was causing the epilepsy or that my seizures could be hormonally related. Now I know. High estrogen and low progesterone will cause seizures for most women with epilepsy.

Old 03-26-2003, 02:34 AM   #4
Inactive

Lefora HB User
Thanks. Parts of what you said sound applicable to my 'situation'....but not the contraceptive - the hormone levels. I'll bring that up when I talk to my neurologist next month.

Old 03-29-2003, 11:07 AM   #5

simeone HB User
Hi There

I had my first grand mal seizure went I was 39 now I am 40. I have not have any grand mal seizure but I get partial seizures only during my period no better how much medication the doctor give me I still get partial before during my period cycle.S o You take natural progestrone lozenge? And could get them any phamacy because I work at a Shopper's Drug Mart and could you give my more information on this. It would my dream to have partials seizures anymore.Thank You and Take Care in Advance for the good information.

Old 04-06-2003, 11:37 PM   #6
(female)

HelloKathy HB User
Well, you can't get the lozenges just anywhere. Before you try the lozenge, which is very potent, try a cream and see if that works first. There is a company called Life Flo that sells natural progesterone cream on the web. Initially, I used a cream called Progest which is sold at some specialty vitamin/herb/health food stores. Use the cream 3 times daily on days 14-28 of your period. See if that stops the seizures. Give it a month or two, if that doesn't work, try asking your doctor if he knows of a lab that can make it for you. I get mine at a place called Freedom Drug. They are a lab that specializes in women's products like natural progesterone. Also, try doing a google or yahoo search on a Dr. Andrew Herzog. He is the one that discovered the relationship between hormones and seizures. Good luck!!!!

Old 04-07-2003, 10:24 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

mommajessibelle HB User
this sounds really interesting how can you go about getting a dr to look onto it? i was 14 when i was diagnosed with epilepsy i'll be 22 on the 22 of this month my seizures started around the time i started having my periods but i never had any seizures when i was pregnant i have 3 kids i have always thought there was a connection between the 2 and so hasmy mother but none of my drs have ever wanted to really look into it i have a new dr now and i guess ive just kind of givin up on it is there a website that tells about this or something?

mother of 3
Melissa 9, Brandon 8, and MaeLynn 6

Old 04-13-2003, 12:28 AM   #8
(female)

HelloKathy HB User
here are some links that will help you out. [url="http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/gui/show/NCT00044252?order=2"]http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/gui/show/NCT00044252?order=2[/url]
[url="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=7675223"]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&dopt= Abstract&list_uids=7675223[/url]

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 06-09-2003).]

Old 06-08-2003, 03:05 AM   #9

ritamymom HB User
Hi there

I just read your post and I too am currently taking progesterone lozenge for the past month. I start my second month on it in a few days (days 14 thru 28) and am also being treated by Dr. Andrew Herzog at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital in Boston.
I was wondering what side affects you have found with the lozenge. I have found (so far) that my breasts have become much larger than they ever were (they used to swell after ovulation but now are swollen and sore only five days after my cycle!). I have also found myself to be a bit depressed and tired.
My cycle did start right on day 28 last month and my breast swelling went down just two days before that.
Could you tell me if symptoms or side affects become worse as you go on or what symptoms you have experienced on this drug?
My goal of course is to reduce my seizures which have plagued me for the past three years.
I have seizures throughout the month but, tend to have many more auras, complex partials and tonic clonics after ovulation thru my cylce.

Thanks Cathy, I look forward to hearing from you!

ritamymom

Old 06-08-2003, 10:13 AM   #10
Inactive

KittyMom HB User
Lightbulb

I hope you hear from her. I haven't seen her on this board in a while but that doesn't mean she doesn't check in from time to time.

I just thought that I would let you know that she hasn't been around in a while.

Hope you find the cure for you,

KittyMom

------------------
Mother of 3 beautiful kids and wife to a Great husband! I love helping others...it helps me grow!

Old 06-08-2003, 11:57 PM   #11

ritamymom HB User
Smile

Thank You Kitty!
I appreciate your reply.

Old 06-10-2003, 02:58 PM   #12

giupset HB User
A side effect of progesterone is depression - which is part of PMS for many women. I'm not understanding this. Your progesterone INCREASES around your period and your estrogen DECREASES around your cycle. I just saw an endocrinologist today and he reminded me of what I learned in college. He believes since the pre-menstral cycle brings on the seizures that it's the progesterone that causes them, not the estrogen which makes sense. A birth control pill will tend to cause seizures since most (or all) brands of b/c pills have both in the pill you take everyday.

Be careful with these companies.

If you breasts are sore for so long is this effecting your prolactin level? Having a high prolactin level may cause your TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) level to drop but not sure - it may be vice versa.

Diamox works for me as my ADH (anti-diuretic hormone) is also part of it.

[This message has been edited by giupset (edited 06-10-2003).]

[This message has been edited by giupset (edited 06-10-2003).]

Old 06-11-2003, 02:38 PM   #13
(female)

HelloKathy HB User
Hi everyone,
Sorry I haven't replied in a while. I've been out of town.

Regarding the side effects from progesterone, I am more tired, physically and mentally, especially on the first few days when I start taking the lozenges. It usually diminishes after about a week. I have also lost weight. I don't feel as hungry and I don't feel the need to snack all the time like I used to. It is now my third month taking the lozenges and I've lost about 10 pounds without dieting.

I think that our bodies need time to adjust to the hormone. It's not something that works overnight. In the last three months I have had only a few small seizures and they weren't too strong. I'm pretty satisfied with the results from these lozenges. My goal is to be completely seizure free but for now, this is a great improvement.

I have some questions for you-
Do you have your seizures in your sleep? Mine almost always occur while I'm sleeping.
Have your periods always been difficult to deal with? I have always had really bad cramps and mood change whenever my period started.
Do you work or go to school? Do you have memory loss from your seizures that get in the way? My memory loss is the biggest issue for me. I made it through school and it was tough. I am now looking for a job and I fear that I'll have a seizure even in my sleep that will effect my job performance, memory, etc.,
What type of seizures do you have? I have complex partial, in my temporal lobe.
How old are you? I'm 28.

Write back soon. I'll try and check back more often.
Thanks!
Kathy

Old 06-11-2003, 03:26 PM   #14
(female)

HelloKathy HB User
Oh, one more thing, I believe that estrogen levels increase around the time of your period and that is why you are more prone to having seizures then.

Old 06-11-2003, 05:09 PM   #15

giupset HB User
Your estrogen level begin to increase on day 5 thru 14, depending on the # of days between day 1 to the next day 1. See below:
OVARIAN & MENSTRUAL CYCLES

Ovaries
· Held in placed by;
o Broad ligament
o Mesovarium
o Suspensory ligaments
o Ovarian ligaments
· Covered by;
o Peritoneum (ovarian epithelium)
o Tunica albuginea
· Divided into;
o Cortex
§ Contains follicle
o Medulla
§ Receives lymph and blood vessels
§ Nerves
· Follicular development
o Oogonia
§ Proliferate and become primary oocytes
§ Prophase I of meiosis
· Primary follicles
o Primary oocytes surrounded by granulosa cells
o During puberty primary follicles become secondary follicles
o Continue meiosis to metaphase II
o Become secondary oocytes
· Secondary oocytes
o Surrounded by the zona pellucida
o Center of the follicle fills with fluid
§ Antrum
o Granulosa cells increase in number
o Theca cells form around the secondary follicle
· Graafian follicles
o Enlarged secondary follicles at the surface of the ovary

Ovulation
· Follicle swells and ruptures
o Secondary follicle is released from the ovary
· Second meiotic division => completed when the secondary oocyte => unites with a sperm cell => forms zygote

Fate of the Follicle
· Graafian follicle becomes the corpus luteum
· If fertilization occurs
o Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) => Corpus luteum persists
§ Hormone produced by the placenta
· If there is no fertilization
o Becomes the corpus albicans

Physiology of Female Reproduction
Puberty
· Begins with the first menstrual bleeding (menarche)
· Gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) levels increase
o Hypothalamic releasing hormone
o Stimulates the secretion of gonadotropins
o Luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle stimulating (FSH) from the adenohypophisis

Menstrual Cycle
· Ovarian Cycle
o FSH
§ Initiates development of the primary follicles
§ Secretes a substance that inhibits the development of other follicles
§ Stimulates the graafian follicles of the ovary
§ Assists in follicular maturation
§ Secretion of estrogen
o LH
§ Stimulates ovulation
§ Completion of first mitotic division by the primary oocyte
§ Stimulates the final maturation of the follicles
§ Secretion of progesterone
§ Causes rupture of follicles
§ LH surge => final formation of corpus luteum
· Positive-feedback mechanism cause FSH and LH levels to increase near the time of ovulation
o Theca cells of the follicle
§ Produce estrogen
§ Stimulates GnRH secretion
o GnRH
§ Stimulates FSH and LH
· Stimulate more estrogen secretion
§ Inhibition of GnRH levels
· FSH and LH levels decrease after ovulation
· Inhibition is due to the high levels of estrogen and progesterone produced by the corpus luteum
· Uterine Cycle
o Mensus (Day 1 to day 4 or 5)
§ Increased progesterone levels
· Spiral arteries constrict
· Endometrial cells die
· Menstrual fluid is composed of sloughed cells, secretions, and blood
o Proliferation phase (Day 5 to day 14)
§ Estrogen
· Stimulates proliferation of the edometrium
o Epithelial cells multiply and form glands
· Synthesis of progesterone receptors
· Spiral arteries supply the glands
o Secretory Phase (Day 15 to day 28)
§ Endometrium becomes thicker
§ Endometrial glands secrete

Studies suggest that progesterone has a role in regeneration of damaged brain cells and prolonged growth of the brain. Delayed aging and longer life span have been very clearly related to extra progesterone. Many types of tumors have been prevented and helped with progesterone. Excessive blood cloning caused by excess estrogen alleviated by progesterone. Pregnancy toxemia and tendency to miscarry or to deliver prematurely are often corrected by progesterone. When epilepsy occurs premenstrually, or first appears around puberty, it is often stopped by progesterone therapy.

There may be a more patient friendly description on other websites of the internet. If you can imagine the bell curve, this is what happens. As you estrogen increases your progesterone is down, then as your progesterone increases (PMS and during your menses), your estrogen decreases, then as your progesterone decreases, your estrogen increases = the cycle.

[This message has been edited by giupset (edited 06-11-2003).]

Closed Thread