It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2007, 04:14 PM   #1
(female)

LJen HB User
Deja Vu ...kind of...

I have been experiencing a very strange sensation for the past week. I am 24 year old female and have no history of any illnesses. However, last Sunday my mom was visiting and I had an overwhelming feel of deja vu, but it was very confusing. It felt like I was trying to remember something or like I was trying think of a memory word associated with my deja vu. Since then, I have had this happen from 1-3 times a day. It only lasts for 2-5 seconds. A very short period of time. It feels like I am just about to have deja vu or like I am trying to remember a certain memory, but it gets all confusing and fuzzy all of the sudden, and then it is over. It doesn't really make me have any sort of emotion, but I do get some anxiety with it just because I am worried there is something wrong with me. Oh and I am fully aware of everything around me and still very intact while this is happening. I have had some panic/axiety issues in the past, self diagnosed, but this feels a little different. My husband thinks that I am just panicking because in the past every time I had the slightest feeling of not being able to remember something I would panic that there was something wrong with me (a bit of a hypochondriac ). I wish that I could describe this in more detail, but many times I can't even remember what the clouded/confusing memory was even about. This has not happened in public yet. I have been under quite a bit of stress with work here lately, and I have just started a very hormonal mensturation--could this have an effect? Also, if you have this...can you have this alone? Or could this turn into having bigger seizures? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
(male)

IMNRVUS HB User
Re: Deja Vu ...kind of...

Sounds to me like (sensory) simple partial seizures... or auras.
How long they last and how they feel varies with everyone.
Confusion and feeling mentally fuzzy is normal.
Anxiety and worry over your health problems is normal too.
Yes, it can happen in public, alone or in a crowd.
Stress, and monthly periods are only two of many triggers for this.
Infections, surgery, new or change in medication, breathing trouble,
sleep apnea, smelling or hearing something that makes you
remember (deja-vu), florescent lights, computer monitors, strobe or
flashing lights, sirens, alcohol or drug use, etc. etc.
Yes, it is possible to turn into other seizures.
That's why it would be in your best interest to see a neurologist ASAP.
Try to find one that is associated with a university or learning facility.
Keep a journal of everything about these feelings... what you did that day, what you ate, drank, thought of... etc. It will help the doctor.

You're not alone... Lots of people on healthboards are going through what you describe... It's worth the doctor visit to find out for sure.

Last edited by IMNRVUS; 01-27-2007 at 08:35 PM.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:29 AM   #3
(female)

lamac HB User

My Deja vu/simple partials sound like they may have been a lot like yours. I would try to remember something or someone doing something...it would be so familiar and I may have been able to see it in my mind but not really...I would be close to remembering it and it would be gone...then a little bit of a roller coaster stomach...this happened to me for 20 years before I had a tonic clonic seizure...I didn't know they were seizures...I didn't know I had epilepsy....

Lamac

Old 01-29-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
(male)

IMNRVUS HB User

Depending on WHY people have seizures is important. You can have a seizure disorder WITHOUT having epilepsy. I have never been diagnosed with epilepsy... just a seizure disorder.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:51 AM   #5
(female)

lamac HB User

IMNRVUS...that is an interesting comment...about the epilepsy/seizure disorder...according to my neuro...anyone who has seizures...whether they are controlled or not...has epilepsy...and epilepsy and seizure disorders are one and the same. She says...epilepsy in and of itself is the condition of have seizures...the condition can be for a wide variety of reasons...but most often it is not known why...Anyone else hear this???

Lamac

Old 01-29-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
(male)

IMNRVUS HB User

What I've been told... If my seizures are ONLY CAUSED by lack of oxygen because of sleep apnea/sinus problems/breathing trouble, then it's not epilepsy. Seizures because of lack of oxygen is your body's way of saying "WAKE UP!!!"

BUT, if there's another cause AS WELL AS or instead of the breathing trouble... and medication controls it, then it could be epilepsy.
I have simple partial seizures (auras), and have for many years before my first Gran Mal seizure. I do believe that those are epilepsy. But the Gran Mals seem to be only related to lack of oxygen. Every time I have a gran mal, I'm fighting to breathe, snoring, and wake up on my back... even though 5 of my seizures were when I was weaning off of the dilantin.
I don't have the two types of seizures one before the other, the way many people do. My auras are while I'm awake... and the gran mals are only while sleeping. Combine the two, and its sort of a mess that can't be diagnosed accurately. Also, I think that I really do need the medication. But just for the auras. All of my EEG's are normal. But still I'm better off on the meds.
Are you as confused as I am yet?

Old 01-29-2007, 07:10 PM   #7
(female)

felixjunkie HB User

Things like alcohol, lack of sleep, lack of oxegen, and a looong list of other things can provoke and exacerbate seizures. It sounds to me as though you have epilepsy (which is defined, as far as I know, as having a tendency towards seizures, regardless of the cause. I think you are officially considered "epileptic" after having 3 seizures or something like that...) with primarily simple partials that generalize when your breathing trouble cuts off your oxegen. I've always had complex partials, and my only 2 generalized seizures occurred while I was experiencing withdrawal from my medication. I doubt I would ever have had a generalized seizure without the extra strain of withdrawal lowering my seizure threshold.

Closed Thread