It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
(female)

Kimwwe HB User
first grand mal 40 year old

Hi,
I am a 40 yr. old female. I had a car accident but CT showed no concussion. About 4 days later I had a grand mal seizure. Thank God it was a Sunday and my husband and I were home. I bit my toungue so bad, my legs stiffened but upper body convulsing, stopped breathing for a couple seconds but all I remember is the EMT people in my house. I couldn't remember my name or my husbands for a couple minutes.
Does anyone know if once they start you get more? Or can someone only get one seizure in their life. I did not get sleep the night before, was stressed from the accident and take med's for OCD so the doctor thinks it was all of that put together. My EEG showed short waves in the left brain??? and he gave me Lamictal.
Also I heard that most people can tell when they are going to get another one. If so, does it give you enough time to go somewhere (like to another room if I was at work) or does it happen to fast after the sign you feel? I want to make sure I can be somewhere safe when or if I get a sign. This is a really scary thing, it never happened to me before ever. Thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
(male)

IMNRVUS HB User
Re: first grand mal 40 year old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwwe View Post
Hi,
Does anyone know if once they start you get more? Or can someone only get one seizure in their life. I did not get sleep the night before, was stressed from the accident and take med's for OCD so the doctor thinks it was all of that put together. Also I heard that most people can tell when they are going to get another one. If so, does it give you enough time to go somewhere (like to another room if I was at work) or does it happen to fast after the sign you feel?
More depends on the cause. Sounds like your doctor is correct with diagnosis. Stress and lack of sleep are major causes of seizures. Could be a one time thing, but there's no guarantee. Just having one means you could have a seizure disorder... at least that's what my doctor told me. Avoid stress, get more quality sleep... you might get lucky and not have more.
As for the warning before the seizures... Those are simple partial seizures... or "Auras". Again, everybody is different. They're odd/scary/uneasy feelings that run through your mind... such as deja-vu. Sometimes you smell funny smells that aren't really there.
I have had both simple partial as well as gran mal seizures. The Auras started when I was about 30. The first Gran Mal happened in 2001 at 45. For me, one doesn't come before the other. My Auras are in the daytime. My Gran mal's (all 8 of them) happened while sound asleep. I have an additional trigger for my gran mal's... lack of oxygen from sleep apnea.
Keep track of your sleep and stress... and if they trigger another seizure, tell your doctor.

Last edited by IMNRVUS; 03-09-2007 at 10:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
(female)

Kimwwe HB User

IMNRVUS -thank you for the info. I was going to ask if anyones get nervous when going places but I think the name gave that away. I am going to the movies tomorrow so I'll have to try and relax.

I do have another question, sorry to be a bother, this is so new. I know by law I cannot drive for 6 months. I have to get an MRI next week and then see my Doctor to get a release back to work. Does anyone know what the Doctor does as far as letting you back to work? Unfortunately, I have a full time stressful collections job, that doesn't help. Thanks again.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:16 PM   #4
(male)

IMNRVUS HB User

I'm not as nervous/anxious as I used to be.
Ask your doctor for a note to go back to work at your next appt., Finding a less stressful job might be necessary.

Last edited by IMNRVUS; 03-17-2007 at 09:02 AM.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User

Kim,
So sorry you're going through all of this. I had a 'grand mal' pretty much out of nowhere at the age of 42. I didn't know it until after the fact, though, that I had non-febrile seizures as an infant (5mos. old) and was on phenobarb. until 2 yrs. old. Never took meds again and never had a problem until 42 years old--but like you said, you were stressed out and hadn't slept...that can awaken seizures, unfortunately!

I had insomnia and stress from my job when my grand mal hit, and the eeg showed abnormalities. Maybe in your case you'll never have another seizure--that truly does happen! Some people just have one "biggie" and it never happens again. You just have to make sure you get lots of rest, exercise and work on reducing stress, if possible. There are very few states that require you to relinquish your driver's license after having a 'grand mal' seizure, actually. But honestly, you don't want to drive until you're seizure-free for six months before you drive again, as you DID have a whopper of a seizure.

After mine, I don't know if it was the meds (Dilantin and Lamictal) or the seizure itself, but I really didn't feel normal, whatever that is, until almost a week after my grand mal. But I'm a Copywriter by trade so you can understand how it was difficult for me to find the words needed to write for advertising after such an event! Just take your time and do what you need to do to come to terms with what happened to you. Hopefully it was a one-time thing. Take care of yourself and REST as much as possible. And most importantly, find a good neurologist!
I wish you the best!

Old 03-14-2007, 07:46 PM   #6
(female)

OwnedByCats HB User

I am 33 and just had my first grand mal seizure 3 days ago. I blacked out so I didn't even realize what was happening - the first 10 minutes of it I can't remember a thing. I also had no warning.

My husband and I were just leaving a restaurant when just as I got up from the table and pushed my chair in, I had a seizure. I started shaking and fell to the floor like a tree that was cut down. My husband dove to the floor in an effort to break my fall but he was just too far away. Apparrently I was shaking and all my muscles tightened up.

He yelled to the restaurant staff to call an ambulance and suddenly a woman who was dining there also ran over to help as she was a doctor. She explained to my husband what was going on as he was scared as hell and didn't know what to do. She kept him calm and told him to keep me on my side without restricting too much of my movement.

He said I started drooling pretty badly (found out later it was from me biting my tongue) and once most of the shaking stopped and I was calming down, the doctor and my husband sat me up. Then the ambulance arrived and shortly there after I came back.

The first thing I thought was that I was in a bar drinking with people I didn't know (the paramedic and the doctor) as they tried to see if I wanted any water. I honestly felt like I'd drank about 6 or 7 shots of vodka and my vision was terribly distorted. Then I notice someone behind me rubbing my arms, which I found out was my husband when I turned to look and then suddenly I realized I wasn't in a bar and I was in the restaurant sitting on the floor.

It was explained to me what had happened and the paramedic got me in the ambulance because my blood pressure was quite high. By the time I got to the emergency room at the hospital, my blood pressure had come down enough to where they were happy to let me go home as all the other tests they gave me turned out fine.

I am now scheduled for a head CT, but I'm not sure they will find anything. I am obviously hoping this was a one off occurance, but I am frightened of it happening again and with no warning. I was incredibly tired that night and I have had a stressful few years, although I would have thought if it was stress it would have happened years ago. I guess it's possible that sometimes it can take a while to effect a person that way. I am pretty scared even though I have no recollection, although my husband who had to witness the whole thing was scared out of his wits.

I'm still sore everywhere and my tongue is still killing me. I don't know how people can cope with regular seizures - they all deserve a medal!

*~*Christine*~*

Old 03-14-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
(male)

IMNRVUS HB User

Hope yours is a one time thing... glad your husband was there for you!

Last edited by IMNRVUS; 03-17-2007 at 08:56 AM.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:39 AM   #8
(female)

Cateh64 HB User

I hate it when I bite my tongue! Luckily I've never had a seizure like that out in public in the day time. I have Myoclonic Epilepsy, but have had about 8 Grand Mal seizures since 1989. When I had my first, I went 3 years before the next one......... but technically, anyone can have one seizure - and not have the chronic condition

Old 04-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #9
(female)

Trish17 HB User

The subject of seizures is very serious, but I have had a few funny things happen to me. I can look back on them now, but they weren't funny at the time. I had been taking depakote for about 8 months, and had been seizure free. I walked to lunch one afternoon. I left the restaurant, and all of a sudden I'm walking in circles in the lobby of a funeral home which was right across the street. A man working there was staring, and giving me really mean looks. I apologized and walked out. It was very humiliating at the time, but I can look back on it and laugh. At least I didn't get hit by a car.

Closed Thread