It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
(female)

deeleeinep HB User
hello im new

Hello Im new My name is missy Im 17 I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was thirteen I have several types of seizures I have tried all kind of meds and finally got them semi-under control
I used to have about 18 petits a day now im down to like I also have had some partials and I have about 4 granmals every month to that is alot better than it used tobe I am unable tto drive Im a junior in high school no one around me can relate to me I feel like I depend on my parents too nuch I do not like that

Last edited by deeleeinep; 03-12-2007 at 07:21 PM.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:27 AM   #2
(female)

lamac HB User
Re: hello Im 17 and epileptic

Hello deeleeinep....I can't begin to imagine what that name means!? I am happy you found Healthboards....welcome...I check in here often but don't post a lot. I am much older than you (51) and have been taking seizure meds for 11 years. The medication is controlling my Grand mal seizures really well, but I think I may still be having some simple partials.

I have not been 17 for a long time, but I do have a 17 year old God son who stays at my house often. He tells me about life in school...it is sometimes tough for him because he is Deaf and doesn't always know if the students around him are joking or teasing him. I also have a grown son...27 years old. He was with me the first time I had seizures and he had to call the hospital and rode with me in the ambulance. I was very confused and he was like the only person I recognized. Sometimes I feel like I depend on him too much....kinda like you and your parents...huh.

Take care...peace,
Laurie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Deeleeinep,

I didn't have luck with the students in school either. More of negative environment for me. However, that aisde, I found a youth orientated support group to be helpfull. If there is one in your area, give it a checkout and see what you think about it.

I was lucky to have my seizures under control still at that age. A few years after HS the "control" was lost and I needed to move to a city that had a bus system.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
(female)

deeleeinep HB User
Post Re: hello Im 17 and epileptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis from MN View Post
Deeleeinep,

I didn't have luck with the students in school either. More of negative environment for me. However, that aisde, I found a youth orientated support group to be helpfull. If there is one in your area, give it a checkout and see what you think about it.

I was lucky to have my seizures under control still at that age. A few years after HS the "control" was lost and I needed to move to a city that had a bus system.
thank you guys ok so you have no idea what the username could be it is really simple my middle name included with lee for my dog who died in 03 and ep stands for eastpoint where i live see simple anyways I appreciate the time you take to write it has been hard not being able to do things that my other friends get to drive, go to dances and etc well talk to you later

Old 03-13-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
(female)

brent's mom HB User

Dear Deeleeinep,
Hi! Welcome to the Healthboards! I don't have seizures, but my 14 year old son does and he talks about the same problems you mentioned! It's driving him nuts that he may not be able to get his learner's permit when he turns 15 since we can't get his absence seizures under control! Also, he decided he wanted to be home-schooled since he didn't know when his seizures would strike and he gets kind of lonesome sometimes. But he gives guitar lessons to 4 kids he used to go to school with so that helps.

Anyway, you've found a great, friendly place to vent or ask any kind of questions you can think of without being judged. You take care and keep the faith!

Elaine

Old 03-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Dee, User names can be whatever you want... I've seen the entire range of names over 19 years online... Yah... Most of my life in front of a screen. You can choose an alias that fits your personality, or show your name. It's up to the person and how "open" they are.

If you can catch a ride, or if your region has transit, use it. For driving, It's not as much as we thought it was in Drivers Ed. I went through two OLD trucks when I started out, then a car. A 1972 for my first, (tranny died) Then upped to a 1982 for $500; sold it for 500. The Tranny filter needed to be replaced (forgot to even CHECK it!). Last one was a Benz (2600$) Sold to my cuz for her first car. She didn't like the color!!! If I could have had a Diamler-Benz for my first car I would have jumped like crazy. It was a TANK for structure, great fuel effeciency.

However, you have to pay for insurence, fuel, maintain it... It's not cheap.

Brents mom--
Going the home schooling route is interesting. I had HECK in school, even though I didn't have seizures there; the social structure put me below the bottom; with an administration that did nothing when problems arose. A persons personality type also plays a part I found out. I wouldn't fight back, so I became the "target" for some students, and I still refused to fight back after I tried to defend myself once (and guess who got in trouble?).

Good to see he is putting his talents to use with the 6 string. The few years I could drive I worked at music fests (in the summer) and gigs in the metro helping bands for loadin/loadout & setup. A lot of hours & miles but it was fun and educating. Made a lot of contacts that way for upcomming gigs to work at.

--Travis

Old 03-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #7
(female)

deeleeinep HB User

Hi im missy I know how your son feels I too was homeschooled when i first got diagnosed it sucks not being able to do certain things the way i look at it is at least i have people who care enough to make sure im safe and wont put my self in danger if your son ever wants to talk to a person who can relate im here could use it also do you mimd if i ask a qiestion if your son has a long day like a busy day does he go into seizures cause right now im takin s.a.t and get tired extremely quick sleep like as soon as i get home

Last edited by deeleeinep; 03-13-2007 at 06:02 PM.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:00 PM   #8
(female)

deeleeinep HB User
you mind if i ask a qiestion if your son has a long day like a busy day does he go into seizures cause right now im takin s.a.t and get tired extremely feel exhausted sleep like as soon as i get home

Last edited by deeleeinep; 03-13-2007 at 06:07 PM.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #9
(female)

brent's mom HB User

Hi, again!

Yes, sometimes Brent will have a seizure if he gets really tired. Also if he gets really overheated or over-stressed. I know the S.A.T.'s are really stressful. Just make sure you get plenty of rest and stay hydrated.

When Brent gets upset over how he's going to do on a test or report, I remind him that we don't have to be perfect and to just take things "one day at a time".

Good luck with your tests!

Elaine

Old 03-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #10
(female)

brent's mom HB User

Hi, Travis!

I've enjoyed reading your posts for a long time when I was just a "lurker"!

Thanks for your reply... that's so interesting about your music ventures! We've owned a little music store since 1983 and my husband and I met in Branson when we both performed there in the late 70's and early 80's.

Do you play any instruments or just specialize in sound set up, etc.?

My husband plays flattop, banjo, and mandolin, and Brent plays flattop and mandolin. They are in a 4-piece bluegrass band and have a ball playing at local festivals, etc.

Well, you take care!

Elaine

Old 03-14-2007, 02:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

I tried piano for a few years, couldn't stick to it. My dad and sister both played guitar. I learned how to tune by ear for the most part.

I find it bad that I can tune, but not play the guitar. I took over a year of audio recording, so I have SOME education; but the most came from live work. A good pair of headsets comes in handy when listening to a new CD to hear all the details.

For gigs I am grunt. Setup, teardown, gels, stacks... pretty much anything. Carried my trusty Mag-Lite, duct tape, electrical tape, china marker, sharpies, gloves (whatever else) on me at the gigs. Thankfully I am not effected by lights for my seizures. Rule 1 I learned, always wear steeltoe workboots.

One instrument I would NOT want to tune is the Hammer Dulcimar. Rich knew how to play it. I caught his last gig in this state, about 6 months later he was in a car crash . Mainly he was guitar and vocal, sometimes piano. (had a band on stage with him as well)

The Dobro is not an easy instrument to play. I think thats what you are referring to that you play, or a relative to that. The dobro is also played face up (could mention a rock LP cover to look at, but I'll shut up).

Music is a great form of therapy, both in playing, and listening to it. Helps relax a person, get rid of stress, puts the mind in a different gear. They have done studies showing the neuro reactions to music and the types of music played can cause different reactions in brain waves.

--Travis

Closed Thread