HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Epilepsy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/epilepsy/)
-   -   Broken ribs/back after seizure? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/epilepsy/483126-broken-ribs-back-after-seizure.html)

John07Oahu 03-21-2007 08:24 PM

Broken ribs/back after seizure?

Greetings. Recently had a tonic-clonic (gran mal) seizure. I'm 44 and hadn't had a fully generalized seizure in 14 years. Previously, my post-seizure experience was initial confusion and mild headache followed by a couple days of being kinda tired. This time, I convulsed heavily for a little over 5 minutes and then had post-convulsion heavy breathing for about 40 minutes. (my spouse was with me and time it) Here's the issue: My back is killing me! I had the seizure more than three weeks ago and my mid-back has been very painful ever since. Since it's not abating, I'm concerned that I may have broken a rib or worse, broken my back. I know that might sound crazy, but I looked on ( REMOVED ) and was shocked to see that they include the possibility of a broken back in a minority of cases! Has anyone had similar experience? Or should I chalk this up to being a bit older and out of shape? After a few days I figured that I just had sore muscles. After two weeks I figured I may have cracked a rib. Now, going on 4 weeks, I'm worrying. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

IMNRVUS 03-21-2007 10:51 PM

Re: Broken ribs/back after seizure?

I've had 8 G.M. seizures while sleeping because of sleep apnea (and an unexplained seizure disorder) since Oct. '01. After all of them I ache all over for about a week, arms and thighs the most. I usually bite my tongue, and have short term memory trouble... Luckily, no headaches.
Sixteen months ago was #6. I hurt both rotator cuffs... the ligaments and/or muscles in my upper arms were torn or damaged. Surgery was not advised. I lost range of motion of both arms. They still hurt, and aren't as strong as they once were.
I don't know what happened during the seizure since I was alone, but I didn't fall out of bed. I didn't think seizures could do this kind of damage.
I also wondered if age had something to do with the damaged muscles (I'm now 51), but the doc said no. The more in-shape you are, the more damage your muscles can do.

So, if your back pain bothers you... get it checked out.

John07Oahu 03-22-2007 08:48 AM

[QUOTE=IMNRVUS;2874497]I've had 8 G.M. seizures while sleeping because of sleep apnea (and an unexplained seizure disorder) since Oct. '01. After all of them I ache all over for about a week, arms and thighs the most. I usually bite my tongue, and have short term memory trouble... Luckily, no headaches.
Sixteen months ago was #6. I hurt both rotator cuffs... the ligaments and/or muscles in my upper arms were torn or damaged. Surgery was not advised. I lost range of motion of both arms. They still hurt, and aren't as strong as they once were.
I don't know what happened during the seizure since I was alone, but I didn't fall out of bed. I didn't think seizures could do this kind of damage.
I also wondered if age had something to do with the damaged muscles (I'm now 51), but the doc said no. The more in-shape you are, the more damage your muscles can do.

So, if your back pain bothers you... get it checked out.[/QUOTE]
First, thank you to all who reply and share thoughts. IMNRVUS, you and I have a couple things in common. My seizures almost always occur during sleep -and- they are idiopathic. I haven't heard of a sleep apnea/seizure connection yet, however I it's obvious I have some research to do. Honestly, since it had been 14 years since my last seizure, I think I just stopped thinking about it much. Also will see my doc for an x-ray at least. I wish you, and all, good health.

IMNRVUS 03-22-2007 09:31 AM

Sleep apnea... Lack of oxygen... Your body's way of trying to wake you up is to have a seizure I guess.