It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
(male)

John07Oahu HB User
Broken ribs/back after seizure?

Greetings. Recently had a tonic-clonic (gran mal) seizure. I'm 44 and hadn't had a fully generalized seizure in 14 years. Previously, my post-seizure experience was initial confusion and mild headache followed by a couple days of being kinda tired. This time, I convulsed heavily for a little over 5 minutes and then had post-convulsion heavy breathing for about 40 minutes. (my spouse was with me and time it) Here's the issue: My back is killing me! I had the seizure more than three weeks ago and my mid-back has been very painful ever since. Since it's not abating, I'm concerned that I may have broken a rib or worse, broken my back. I know that might sound crazy, but I looked on ( REMOVED ) and was shocked to see that they include the possibility of a broken back in a minority of cases! Has anyone had similar experience? Or should I chalk this up to being a bit older and out of shape? After a few days I figured that I just had sore muscles. After two weeks I figured I may have cracked a rib. Now, going on 4 weeks, I'm worrying. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-22-2007 at 07:55 AM. Reason: do not post commercial websites for any reason

Old 03-21-2007, 10:51 PM   #2
(male)

IMNRVUS HB User
Re: Broken ribs/back after seizure?

I've had 8 G.M. seizures while sleeping because of sleep apnea (and an unexplained seizure disorder) since Oct. '01. After all of them I ache all over for about a week, arms and thighs the most. I usually bite my tongue, and have short term memory trouble... Luckily, no headaches.
Sixteen months ago was #6. I hurt both rotator cuffs... the ligaments and/or muscles in my upper arms were torn or damaged. Surgery was not advised. I lost range of motion of both arms. They still hurt, and aren't as strong as they once were.
I don't know what happened during the seizure since I was alone, but I didn't fall out of bed. I didn't think seizures could do this kind of damage.
I also wondered if age had something to do with the damaged muscles (I'm now 51), but the doc said no. The more in-shape you are, the more damage your muscles can do.

So, if your back pain bothers you... get it checked out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
(male)

John07Oahu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMNRVUS View Post
I've had 8 G.M. seizures while sleeping because of sleep apnea (and an unexplained seizure disorder) since Oct. '01. After all of them I ache all over for about a week, arms and thighs the most. I usually bite my tongue, and have short term memory trouble... Luckily, no headaches.
Sixteen months ago was #6. I hurt both rotator cuffs... the ligaments and/or muscles in my upper arms were torn or damaged. Surgery was not advised. I lost range of motion of both arms. They still hurt, and aren't as strong as they once were.
I don't know what happened during the seizure since I was alone, but I didn't fall out of bed. I didn't think seizures could do this kind of damage.
I also wondered if age had something to do with the damaged muscles (I'm now 51), but the doc said no. The more in-shape you are, the more damage your muscles can do.

So, if your back pain bothers you... get it checked out.
First, thank you to all who reply and share thoughts. IMNRVUS, you and I have a couple things in common. My seizures almost always occur during sleep -and- they are idiopathic. I haven't heard of a sleep apnea/seizure connection yet, however I it's obvious I have some research to do. Honestly, since it had been 14 years since my last seizure, I think I just stopped thinking about it much. Also will see my doc for an x-ray at least. I wish you, and all, good health.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
(male)

IMNRVUS HB User

Sleep apnea... Lack of oxygen... Your body's way of trying to wake you up is to have a seizure I guess.

Closed Thread