It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2007, 02:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
I think I just had a seizure. Never had one before. Please help.

Hi,

I really don't know how to start this post so I guess I'll start with some background info. I'm 20 years old and for the last 2-3 months I've been having strange symptoms which consist of memory loss, visual disturbances (usually foggy vision) and slurred speech which can also be tied in with dizziness episodes. But I do sometimes experience dizziness without the above symptoms. I have no warning when these occur and my blood tests came back normal today (thank god).

But something very strange just happened to me about one hour ago. I do not have Epilepsy that I know of but Im wondering now based on what I remember and what my mum told me happened.

It first started with a strange disorientated feeling, similar to a Deja Vu feeling but confused as well. I felt my concentration slipping and my awareness of my surrounding so I got up and walked into the kitchen and thought I'd get myself some soda. I then proceeded to have a strange pressure building up from my feet, up my legs and abdomonen and into my chest. I don't know what made me think this but I just "knew" that when the pressure reached my head something would happen. I tried to have a drink and my right hand was shaking so I put the cup on the table and leaned my head in my hands saying "please go away" because it was very scary. But it didn't end there. I then became very confused and didn't know where I was and my mum said I kept looking around at my surroundings. My arms felt heavy then within a few seconds very light.I also felt like electricity going through my arms and hands and then I started shaking (like when your freezing cold). I remember nothing after this. I only know what my mum told me. She said I stumbled over to the Fridge and rested my back against it and then I slid down to the floor (still sitting up). She spoke to me but I didn't answer and my eyes were wide and staring. Mum said I kept staring for a few minutes then I would shake my head and say something to her with slurred speech then resume staring again. All of this must of lasted 10-15 minutes.

I can remember getting up off the floor and going into the living room. I continued to feel confused and muddled for 5-6 minutes then it went off. I feel fine now apart from very tired.

Im sorry for this long post but I wante to give as much info as possible. Does this sound like a seizure? I don't know if this is related but I did feel slightly nauseous afterwards.

Thank you.

Last edited by _mystictiger_; 04-13-2007 at 02:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
Re: I think I just had a seizure. Never had one before. Please help.

I would really appreciate it if someone who knows about seizures could reply. I've had quite a few views but no replies yet. Thank you and Im sorry for being a pest.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

I don't know a lot about epilepsy, but I don't think that this is what you have. i think it is connected with the rest of your symptoms. What blood tests did you have? Did you get any "aura" before your seizure, eg funny smells, flashing lights, etc? I think you must follow this up. These things do not just happen. I am here if you want to talk more.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hi and thank you for your reply. I had blood tests for Diabetes, WBC, RBC, Glandular Fever, Liver & Kidney function & Thyroid. Everything was normal

The only thing I can think of as a Aura would be the strong feeling of Deja Vu I had. I don't know if I mentioned this is my post but I could of sworn I saw a blue flashing light about 2 inches long prior before any of this happened. I don't know what happened when I wasn't "with it" - only what my mum told me as she was with me the whole time.

Mum just told me that when I had my head in my hands I was shaking in both my arms and my back and one of my legs looked like it was shaking as well (lasted 2 minutes max). She also said she put her hand on my right shoulder and shook me to get my attention because I wasn't talking to her and I turned my head to look at her but I stared through her blankly for a few seconds.

Last edited by _mystictiger_; 04-13-2007 at 05:55 PM. Reason: mum just told me something.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

You need to see a neurologist. Sooner rather than later. I think that this seizure is a progression from your other symptoms and cannot be ignored. You need to get it looked at. Seizures are serious symptoms! Go to the doctor today.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hi again. I can't see a Neurologist without a referral from my GP and GP is closed until Monday. I can try to get a appointment on Monday though.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Good idea. What country are you in?

Old 04-13-2007, 06:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

I'm from UK. Unfortunately we have the NHS system here.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:07 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Yes it is much the same here. Tell your GP your symptoms and get your referral, tell him about your seizure and ask him to call and make the appointment for you there and then. Don't be fobbed off with a letter. I think your Dr will do this for you (if only to get you out of his office LOL). in any event I am sure he will take the seizure very seriously. Get your mum to go with you so she can describe exactly what she saw. That is really useful. If (God forbid) you have another seizure in the meantime go straight to the nearest A&E, and get looked at immediately. That can bypass some of the red tape. All the best, Sera

Old 04-13-2007, 06:19 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Yep I will do that hun. I'll do it first thing on Monday. I really hope it doesn't happen again too. I have never experienced anything in my whole life like this seizure thing. When I think of seizures I always think of collapsing on the floor and shaking uncontrollably. I'll keep you posted and thank you again for your help. Take care x

Old 04-14-2007, 01:46 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

I was wondering but if someone(s) who have Epilepsy could tell me if this does sound like a Seizure? Do you have confused episodes lasting a few seconds that make you feel spaced out? So far so good as the seizure thing hasn't happened again apart from confused episodes. I just hope it stays away.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:18 PM   #12
(male)

IMNRVUS HB User

Sounds like Simple Partial Seizures (Auras) to me. I've had them for ever it seems. Sometimes it's just confusion. Sometimes it's intense fear. Sometimes it's deja-vu. Sometimes it's all of the above. What usually happens to me is an odd feeling like something is very wrong... but I have no idea what's wrong, where it is or who is involved. It's almost a psychic feeling... I feel it all through my body, especially in my stomach.
These "episodes" usually last up to a few minutes, but have lasted hours with me.
Before I had my first Gran Mal (out of 8 total), I could smell a chemical smell (like nail polish remover) along with it. The smells stopped after that first GM Seizure, and have never returned.
Stress usually triggers my Simple Partial Seizures, but something as simple as remembering or smelling something from my childhood (like fresh baked cookies) does it. Occasionally, using the computer too much does it too!

Old 04-14-2007, 04:13 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hi there and thank you for your reply. I did do some reading on auras earlier when the seizure (the one I originally posted about) happened. I just can't believe it happened to me or that my GP diagnosed me with Migraine. But it does make sense that the confused "episodes" are Auras. But I really cant get my head around this. Does the first post on this thread (the long one) sound like a seizure? Im pretty sure that wasn't a Aura based on what I was told and the way I felt. Thank you again.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #14
(male)

IMNRVUS HB User

I couldn't believe my first GM seizure happened in Oct. 2001 when I was almost 46... then 5 more 4 years later, and the last 2 happened last fall.

OK... I'm only going by what I've seen, read, and experienced myself because both types of seizures I have happen at different times. I have the simple partial seizures (auras) while awake. The Gran Mal seizures all happen to me while sound asleep. I found the probable cause for my GM's... Lack of oxygen due to sleep apnea, caused by sinus problems.

From your visual disturbances on, I'd say that you start out having a simple partial seizure (aura). A lot of people with Gran Mal seizures have an Aura first... as sort of a warning. Get to a safe place, lay down on your side, and make sure you won't hurt yourself.

The rest is mostly based on what I've learned.
It does sound like you are having Gran Mal seizures. They effect everyone differently... the shaking , confusion, and inability to talk and make sense. Memory problems seem to take a long time to get better.
Within a half hour or less, you should be over the worst. You should know who and where you are, and what just happened.

Some people lose bladder control, bite their tongue and/or cheeks hard enough to make them bleed. Luckily they heal rather quickly.
Another thing that happens to me is that almost every muscle in my body, especially my upper arms and upper legs hurt like I worked out at the gym way too long. I've never had a headache.
When I'm coming out of a seizure, my memory is kind of slow, as is my ability to talk in whole sentences. I do understand what others are asking me though.
I don't remember any of my GM seizures... I wake up during the recouperation period. I'm very thankful for that.
I live alone and sleep on my side or stomach in the middle of a queen sized bed, with pillows around me. If I wake up on my back, I'll probably have a GM... at least until my sinuses are completely taken care of.

Good luck... Hope this helped....
Go to a neurologist/epileptologist to confirm your diagnosis. The ones associated with schools tend to be better because they're always learning and/or teaching.
Quite a few things can trigger seizures. Try to find out what triggers yours.
If it's not seizures... keep trying to find out what it really is, I would want to know!

Last edited by IMNRVUS; 04-15-2007 at 07:45 AM.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:00 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hi again hun and thank you for your help. I had another seizure last night. Well at 2am. It was only by luck that I was getting a drink for bed and mum was doing the same. When it first started I was only about 30% aware of what was going on around me then within a few seconds I don't remember anything. Mum said she kept talking to me and I mumbled something that was all slurred and then looked right though her - all spaced out. She also said something about one side of my face (right side) going white as a sheet while the other side was flushed. I know when I came round I was on the floor with my back against the sink unit and I didn't recognize my Mum for about a minute or less then I was ok apart from feeling weird still.

I really appreciate all your help. Im just terrified it is Epilepsy because I drive and Im a carer for my Grandmother and we need the car. Noone else drives in the family - well noone who would lend a hand anyway. If this is Epilepsy is it true that the Neuro will stop me driving for 3-12 months until no more seizures occur? Im going to see my GP tomorrow and tell them I need a urgent referral. Or failing that I'll go private. I want this sorted asap because its scary.

Closed Thread