It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User
Odd Question ie. topamax/klonopin

I've been thinking (bad idea i know!)

I was diagnosed w/ epilepsy a little over 2 years ago based on having seizures as my EEG didnt show a thing at the time. I've been having them for about 4 years and they just up and started one day. My seizures are mainly stress related / induced and sometimes flashing lights / games get to me, but not the one during the test. Sleep deprivation and the act of going to bed / waking up also trigger them.

My doctors had me on klonopin and topamax and they said they should help the seizures too and it was all i really "needed". (i'm not on my meds right now due to being pregnant).

So.. as i was saying, i was thinking... Anyone ever been on these two medications and their epilepsy got WORSE? I'm having less grand mals now then i was before when i was on these medications. And the other forms have died down some as well. (And i stopped my meds a couple months before getting pregnant so it is not hormonal). My social worker finds it odd as well.

Just looking for some answers on a boring night. LoL, thanks for reading :P

Old 06-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #2
(female)

elliesmom50 HB User
Re: Odd Question ie. topamax/klonopin

Topamax is an evil drug. Although it lessened the seizures-it also took my memory away. I don't remember my baby's first year-including when she walked, talked, etc. My friend was on it for migraines and she had the same side effects (luckily I could talk to her about it and not feel like I was going CRAZY). The only thing it was good for was weight loss-I lost about 30 pounds. Not worth it though. Good luck-I hope things with your pregnancy go well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
(male)

altsax2003 HB User

I was actually diagnosed with epilepsy even though I have never had a seizure(that we know of) and was put on a wonderful medication called Zonegran. I took it for like 2 years. I had symptoms that they thought could be very minor seizures but havn't had them since I took the medication. I had to stop taking the medicine though about 2 years ago because I developed another condition,ITP if you have ever heard of it, and you can't take sulfer meds if you have that condition.

Anyways, the side effect of Zonegran is weightloss. So you might talk to your doc about it and see if it could help.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
(male)

charles101 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenPaws View Post
I've been thinking (bad idea i know!)

I was diagnosed w/ epilepsy a little over 2 years ago based on having seizures as my EEG didnt show a thing at the time. I've been having them for about 4 years and they just up and started one day. My seizures are mainly stress related / induced and sometimes flashing lights / games get to me, but not the one during the test. Sleep deprivation and the act of going to bed / waking up also trigger them.

My doctors had me on klonopin and topamax and they said they should help the seizures too and it was all i really "needed". (i'm not on my meds right now due to being pregnant).

So.. as i was saying, i was thinking... Anyone ever been on these two medications and their epilepsy got WORSE? I'm having less grand mals now then i was before when i was on these medications. And the other forms have died down some as well. (And i stopped my meds a couple months before getting pregnant so it is not hormonal). My social worker finds it odd as well.

Just looking for some answers on a boring night. LoL, thanks for reading :P

Old 06-09-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
(male)

charles101 HB User

Hello,

I have had siezures for 10 years & they started 11 1/2 years ago. Topomax has helped tremendously. However, NOW I have what seems to be really good news for someone who cannot take medication. About a month ago I started taking a supplement that is apparently getting to the root of the problem & not just preventing siezures. (Thank goodness for that) But you probably know that a siezure is just a symptom of something else gone wrong. The supplement that I am taking has nutrients including: magnesium, calcium & phosphorus. These nutrients help with many things including muscle contraction, nerve transmission, circulation to the periphery, confusion (which I have had before & after siezures) & also convulsions.

The supplement has been used for many years for epilepsy in some other countries. It is Ginger. Try to ****** Ginger & you may want to try it. I have found it to be very helpful in obviously getting to the root of my problem & not just covering it up. I feel terrific!

Please feel free to contact me on this forum to ask specific questions on how the ginger is helping. One specific way is that the circulation to the periphery
(I feel circulation in my head that I have not felt before or cannot remember)
Anyone who has seen me have a siezure has said that before hand it seems like you are not getting enough oxygen to the brain.You seem woozie. The ginger is helping me feel very clear & more. The noticeable feeling of circulation goes away after about 45 minutes or so.

Good luck with everything.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

I've never been on Topamax, but am on Klonopin, Tegretol, and a host of other meds for other disorders. If someone is taken off of a benzodiazepine (like Klonopin, Ativan, Xanax, Tranxene, Valium, etc) suddenly, they can have seizures because of the absence of the medication that the body is used to. Tapering is much safer, but with being pregnant, it's a risk/benefit thing- which is worse for you and the baby- tapering, or seizures???? I'd let the doc know if you're having symptoms without the meds, so if there's a safer time to go back on them, they're aware that you're having problems....

Old 06-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User

Ive been tryin to research new meds. I dont know whats with me, most meds work for some time 2 weeks to a few months, the longest any medication for anything that has worked for me was maybe 8 or 9 months. Then the effects die down and its pretty much like popping sugar pills to fix my problems. I do think my epilepsy is from an underlying cause therefor the antiseizure meds not working for that long. I don't know. Right now i dont really care (sad to say i know... but i've been hitting that brick wall lately with any and all treatments). Maybe one day soon ill find a doctor that actually listens to ALL my symptoms and not just what fits in his profession.

For the moment im fine off meds. Having maybe 2-10 seizures a month..that i can count of. (knocks on wood) I also found out dairy gives me seizures so thats now back out of my diet (i had a craving for yogurt.. ugh).

Think im just going nuts .

Closed Thread