It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 02:52 AM   #1
(female)

antdec HB User
are seizures linked to mensteral cycle?

hi just a question i'm hopeing to get some feed back on. I've been diagnosed with generalised epilepsy since march last year and have had a total of 8 seizures. i've recently realised that the last few i've had have been about a week before i'm due to start my period. Could there be a link? if so what can i do to help reduce this happening? i'm currently taking Lamotrogene 50mg twice a day.
thanks

Old 05-29-2007, 04:01 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cher1052 HB User
Re: are seizures linked to mensteral cycle?

Hi! To start menstural cycles have been known to trigger seizures. Sometimes I'd have one b4 for cycle-and sometimes I wouldn't. When I had seizures I could several weeks w/o one and then have several in one month. I'd go chat with your nero first-don't change your meds on your own. Or go get a 2nd opinion! Cherie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2007, 06:16 AM   #3
(female)

lamac HB User

catamenial seizures....seizures related to cycles....(hormones...not motor cycles...)I had to type that fast before I forget how to spell it...having seizures, for me has been related to hormones....keep a calendar of any seizures and your period...you'll see. Doctors love the calendars too.

Lamac

Old 05-29-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

YES! Seizures can definitely be linked to your hormonal changes related to your menstrual cycle.
Ask your doctor about birth control pills, in addition to your regular seizure meds, to help control this. I did, and I noticed an improvement after about 4 months.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
(female)

Trish17 HB User

Yes! Many women have seizures during PMS, and some right after the cycle. My seizures started when I got on the pill, and always came during PMS. They stopped after an early menopause, about 5 years ago. My neuro said a hormone balance along with seizure meds would have helped over the years. For some reason, the gynecologists here don't care to discuss this. I guess it hasn't been brought up at any ob/gyn conventions or studies.

My neurologist brought it up at a convention one year, about 7 or 8 years ago. He said no one was responsive to it. The question about female cycle seizures is now put on many medical history pages when you see a new doctor. Maybe you can get some info on the internet and take it to one of your drs. I hope they will listen and pay attention to this! So many women could be helped.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:33 AM   #6
(female)

antdec HB User
Talking Re: are seizures linked to mensteral cycle?

massive thank you to all your reply's i will definatly keep a diary of my seizures and menstural cycle to see if there is a pattern forming, it's so good to hear everyone's different experiance's it definatly helps you realise your not alone! once again THANKS xxxxxxxx

Old 06-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User

antdec,

You are definitely not alone,I too have catamenial epilepsy,
unfortunately for me I have not been able to find any meds,
combinations etc. to 100% control mine.I wish you all the luck
in controlling yours.I have had them for 36 out of 44 years.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
(female)

HelloKathy HB User

I was diagnosed with catamenial epilepsy 5 years ago and thanks to pinpointing the proper balance of hormones I have been seizure free for over 2 years now. I worked with Dr. Andrew Herzog.

When you ovulate or get your period, your estrogen levels rise and which most likely your brain is sensitive to. I would recommend trying natural progesterone to begin with and if this doesn't reduce or stop your seizures, try DepoLupron. A once a month Depo Lupron shot completely got rid of my seizures completely.

Good luck to you!!

Old 06-28-2007, 04:33 PM   #9
(female)

Deb822 HB User

My daughter has increased seizures during her menses. We went to an endocrinologist. SHe has poly cystic ovarian syndrome and some other name of a condition that has something to do with her adrenal gland.
She is not on phenobarbitol. It is helping.
We applied for disability for her, it has been 4 months and driving me crazy. She wants to become a licensed sign language therapist. But I have no idea if they let you go to school or work on disability or not.
She was having alot of seizures, like 13 a week, and still has a couple. THey are partial complex temporal lobe. She is 20, today she started her period and is depressed saying she does not know where her life will go. I don't know what to tell her. She is very sweet, independent and beautiful. But when stress enters the pic she gets more seizures. Anyone have any helpful info? I don't want this to be so debilitating that she doesn't have a life.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User

Hi Deb,

Sorry to hear about your daughter,I know how it can be
having seizures at 20,I am now 44,and have had them all
my life.
You said,you didn't know if she could work while on disability,or
go to school.The seizures should not interfere with her going to
school,but,as far as working,it would.While on disability,I know there
is a maximum that you could work and I think the most you could earn
is $4800.00 a year.I know there is a very small limit,but,I am not positive
that is it or not.And in some cases, if she were to start working at all,
your daughter could lose her disability totally.

Good luck with the disability,I am now on it,after 5 years of apealing
it after I had been denied 3 times.Working for my father,screwed it up
for me.But,they finally saw the light,now that my father had sold his
business and retired.He was much more understanding to my situation,
any other jobs I had would lay me off after a seizure at work,and of
course would say they were just overstaffed(yeah,right!!).
Take care

Old 07-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #11
(female)

jenlori71 HB User

I just noticed that my seizures are coming on during the middle of my period. I have even been doing some research to find out that they can be connected. So, I will be seeing my doctor soon and will talk to them about it. Maybe it is time for a change.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:35 PM   #12
(female)

Sk8ter Girl 23 HB User

Hi guys,
I have been having seizures for 16 years now and that most of them are always within a week of my period. I had one dr. that even tried water pills right before my period. I couldn't take them becuase they made me throw up all the time. It was a good thought. I do believe that the two are connected.
Good luck and hang in there.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:40 PM   #13
(female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User

I have always noticed that I have auras around my period and when I did have seizures. they're currently controlled my the evil topamax but since my iq is have of what it was and i'm out of my mind, I don't consider that an even exchange. the evil topamax gives me horrific menstrual cycles and I menstruate longer than I did. pre-topahell, i did always think that there was a link between seizures and my MS.

I'm weaning of TET and on Keppra, hopefully that will continue to keep me aura/seizure free. So far no rages....just stupidity from teh lingering tmax.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:37 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User

Hi,

Is that Depo Lupron a natural or synthetic? I have read that
the synthetic progesterones can sometimes make symptoms
worse. I heard that you can get a natural prog. cream through
your pharmacy.Just wondering all of this because I did buy a
nat. prog. cream once from a health store and it did not stop my
seizures or even improve them.Any info. is appreciated.

Thanks,Sherri

Old 08-15-2007, 09:53 AM   #15
(female)

bevin 30 HB User
Smile Re: are seizures linked to mensteral cycle?

to sherri i think that the progesterone you were asking about maybe synthetic and i do not trust synthetics especially when it comes to any medicine such as an anti seziure medicine. bevin

Closed Thread