It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
(male)

IMNRVUS HB User
Question Advice on Auras, Panic Attacks, and Amoxicillin

I started to take Amoxicillin for a minor tooth infection seven days ago. Not long afterwards, I started to feel more depressed than usual, have panic attacks, and maybe an "aura" or two a day. I still can't tell the difference between the auras and panic attacks sometimes. It's just a very uncomfortable feeling head to toe. None of my other meds changed. I take Phenytoin for GM's (none since Nov. '06), Diovan for BP, and Lorazepam for the auras and panic attacks as needed. I take it one more time a day, and it doesn't help as well as it usually does.
Could this be the Amoxicillin, or something else. My stress level has increased in the past week too... not sure why.
The weather has been extra hot lately too... hovering in the high 90's to 100.

Anybody else have problems like this? If so, what helped?

Last edited by IMNRVUS; 06-13-2007 at 09:00 PM.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
(female)

lynxgal HB User
Re: Advice on Auras, Panic Attacks, and Amoxicillin

Hi Imnrvus,

Sorry to hear you are not feeling the best. I have never had a problem with Amoxi but I am also not on any other meds. Maybe you should mention it to your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
(male)

IMNRVUS HB User

Doctor and Pharmacist say it shouldn't be a problem. I have taken Amox. before taking A/E meds and since... with no trouble. Only 3 days left anyway.
Thanks

Last edited by IMNRVUS; 06-13-2007 at 08:58 PM.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
(female)

elliesmom50 HB User

Wow-this is strange. I went to the psychiatrist this week because my neurologist asked me to. She thinks that my partial seizures are related to panic attacks and that it is an endless cycle-one leads to another I have never heard that theory-so to see you describe your auras as panic attacks has got me thinking that maybe she is right. She wants me to go to counseling regarding this. Have you had these before? What are they like? Mine are deja vu moments that lead to me feeling sad and depressed for the rest of the day. Will you describe them so I know if I am dealing with panic attacks rather than seizures? Thanks...

Old 06-13-2007, 06:34 PM   #5
(male)

IMNRVUS HB User

First, let me say that I already went to a psychiatrist over this a few years ago. No help there. Neurologist wants you on A/E meds, and the psychiatrist
wants you on A/D meds. For me, they don't mix... right on the labels it says not to take most of the A/D meds when there is a history of seizures. Same goes for high BP.
Also, everyone is different, so what works on me, might or might not on you.

OK, a long time ago my auras were mostly the deja-vu type with a funny chemical smell (that nobody else could smell) every time. Then in October 2001, I had my first (of only 8 so far) Gran Mal seizures. My GM's only happen while sleeping, usually on my back. Sinus problems and sleep apnea have been diagnosed as the cause there.
From then on, my auras were different... no chemical smell since, but Actually smelling something familiar that reminds me of something from my past has triggered some auras. I also never had a panic attack or an anxiety problem until the first GM.
My auras since the first GM are mostly scary and full of fear. I have this feeling that something is very, very wrong somewhere in my life concerning myself or a loved one. I just can't figure out what's wrong, where it is, OR how to fix it. I can only describe it as similar to a psychic thought that takes over your mind... and I don't believe in them.
My panic attacks usually blend in with them... and usually its how I deal with the auras. Maybe I have the panic attacks because of the auras. Some last only minutes, but lately it's been hours and hours. Sometimes there are only panicky feelings that take my breath away... like what the heck was that. They're scary too, because you have no control over them. I feel that they're auras too. Friends say when I have this kind, my face muscles contort some.
Hope I didn't confuse you... and maybe it'll help. They are very confusing, and very painful emotionally. I don't like to feel scared or out of control of what's going through my mind.
I lived in a very stressful situation just before the first GM seizure. I didn't feel safe. I really don't know which ones are auras (mine are sensory simple partial seizures), or which ones are panic attacks/anxiety attacks. Ativan takes the edge off most of the time. I limit myself to 1/2mg, up to 3 times a day. If I need more, I call my primary care doc for advice.

Last edited by IMNRVUS; 06-13-2007 at 06:42 PM.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #6
(male)

IMNRVUS HB User

If you tell your doc about my experiences... let me know what she thinks.
I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

Old 06-13-2007, 07:04 PM   #7
(female)

lynxgal HB User

IMNRVUS,

I kind of know how you feel "scared like something is not right" I had that feeling come over me like a wave and then I could feel my throat muscles on my right side trying to spasm really bad. My husband said I looked really funny and he was talking to me....I could understand him just fine and I was looking at him but I just couldn't answer him for a min or so. It was a horrible feeling!

Old 06-13-2007, 07:58 PM   #8
(male)

IMNRVUS HB User

I can't imagine how bad that feels. I'm lucky enough to stay alert, can talk, think, and remember what I'm doing during my auras. Never had trouble driving during an aura. If I'm having a panic attack, no one knows what's going on unless I tell them. No one knows if it's an aura unless I tell them, or if they're looking at my face.
Hope you get them under control soon.

Last edited by IMNRVUS; 06-13-2007 at 08:57 PM.

Closed Thread