It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
(male)

Benjamin81 HB User
going stir crazy - please help!

Hello all maybe u could help me with a few questions? thankyou.

In august last yr i went to halkidiki in greece for a week on day 4 thursday a strange rash appeared on my neck and and i had a weird type of fever i hadnt eaten anything i shouldnt and had only been drinking bottled water i recieved cream from a greek pharmacist and by the time we left the rash had pretty much gone (it was a perfect square on my neck) on returning to england i noticed a small lump in my right groin which i now know was a lymph gland on the 3rd day of being back the distress of this lump caused me to have what i now believe to be a grand mal with a complete blackout and loss of control (no real recollection) just my girlfriends count of what happened eyes roliing back and no response etc and the before and after memories of my own, both of which were feeling of extreme dizziness and disorientation. i was taken to hospital and released the same day without treatment or any real reason as to why it had happened.
Approximately 2 weeks after this event i had a similar experience at work which took me to my knees but with no blackout i regained stability and steadiness after about 30 mins of sitting down, drinking water and breathing steadily.
1 or 2 weeks after this event it happened again whilst driving to work fortunately i managed to pull over and flag someone down to ring an ambulance i went to hospital and again was released with no treatment but a neurological appointment.
These attacks continued to happen, some more severe than others, with hospital visits to a and e regularly, and no real feedback.
I then had a 12 week gap with nothing really but an occassional headache.
Then 1 morning at work about 3 months ago, just before lunch, we were doing quite a normal activity (moving a large empty bulk container) with a colleague and i felt something go in my head i was immediately very dizzy aware but disorientated and nauseas my eyelids pulled tight and upwards making me look quite disfigured ( which quite often happens in varying degrees whilst having an episode apparently the right eye more) i believe this was a petit mal i went to hospital this day and was released with no treatment i returned the same week and was submitted for 2 days and 1 night where i was given an mri scan a cat scan and lumbre puncture all of which came back normal.
i was discharged and told to go to neurologists and gp and to take paracetamol for my now hurting back.
i am continuing to have episodes on what seems to be about a 2 weekly basis when i do have 1 it seems to cling to me for a good few days makes me feel extremely lethargic and very sleepy with the eyes going immediately. i have been signed off work numerous times and have been trying to do 2 or 3 days a week sometimes failing and having episodes at work at wot seems to be when i excert myself to much. i am now signed off until the 16th which is when i have my next neurologists appointment i also have an e.e.g scan booked for the 27th of july which my actually quite helpful doctor arranged without my knowledge, i am going stir crazy with everything taking so long and having no real diagnosis or medication i have been in my job for 4 yrs and fortunately have a great boss who is being very understanding and patient but im dying to go back to work as a drop of nearly 400 pound a week is not paying my rent very easily. If anybody can help as to what is happening or what i may have or any ideas as where to direct my neurologists towards or other legitimate ways and means of recieving treatment please help thanks for reading this very long post all the best. cheers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: going stir crazy - please help!

It's easy to feel stir crazy when there are no real answers...Write down your symptoms and questions for the neurologist (as some tend to be in and out of the door before you finish shaking hands). Something is going on. Demand to find out what is going on with your body- it's your right to know. Best of luck with the neuro.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:33 AM   #3
(female)

elliesmom50 HB User

Wow-what a difficult time you are having. I am so sorry. Whenever I think I am having a hard time-I read some of these blogs and feel fortunate. I have no real advice-just support. I am sorry you are going through all of this and hope that the doctors can figure something out. Good luck to you.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
(male)

Benjamin81 HB User

Thanks so much for your kind support.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

That discolord patch of skin is the oddity. It sounds like some oil or (SOMETHING!) was applied to that region; or it could simply be nothing. However it is a starting point. Any food alergies should have passed within 72 hours max.

Very odd. The only other the Dr's should have checked for based on your statements of travel (digestive related) would have been based on the foods you ate and how they were prepared..

No prior issues with neurological ailments (seizures and or epilepsy) it does bring up concern. Did you dig into family history to see if there is any record of seizures or other neurological condition on either side of the family? It may lead to a dead-end, but there is a very very small percentage of epilepsy cases that are inherited (genetics).

Why some persons seizures start earlier and others start later in age is almost impossible to explain if there is no trauma, ailment, or infection. It was just an on switch that was activated is the best way to say it.

--Travis

Last edited by Travis from MN; 07-06-2007 at 02:21 PM.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:30 AM   #6
(male)

Benjamin81 HB User
Thumbs up Re: going stir crazy - please help!

hi travis in answer to ur question i have checked out my family history and found out that 2 males in my fathers side of the family both suffered with petit mal as young men resulting in one having to leave his trade i am now thinking that this probably or certainly could be the cause of my problems thanks for ur help cheers B81

Old 07-07-2007, 08:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

I'll tell you the numbers, it is less that 1% that is inherited; even less when it comes from male (paternal) compared to comming from female (maternal) for the inherited epilepsy. They only recently found that there was an inherited epilepsy. I can't say if they have developed a genetic test to detect it yet. It's all new waters for research.

Don't put all your eggs in that basket yet, but do bring up family history of epilepsy with the Dr when you see them next.

--Travis

Closed Thread