It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
(female)

jenlori71 HB User
Disability - Social Security

I've read before and talked with others who have Epilepsy and can't drive say that they get disability. I never had to get on that. I am also, a single mother of 2 children. I am currently working and was never told I had to get on it. Will disability help you if you need it?

*JenLori71*

Old 07-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: Disability - Social Security

It's a challange in most cases to qualify under epilepsy. When the applicants seizures started if one point they consider; how much medication you are on is another (do the medications sideFX effect you?); IF you can work is another, if it effects your quality of life (and prove it), Frequency of seizures.

The ordeal is NOT easy to go through and qualify for if you are well controlled.

I'm not trying to discourage you, however if you are just wanting a little bit more to get along it may not be worth a couple year battle. Each person has a unique case. My situation took a good 2 years+ to be approved and I had to grab a lawyer to help get qualified.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2007, 07:49 AM   #3
(female)

jenlori71 HB User

Thank you, Travis. I thought it might be a problem. I enjoy working. The doctors are doing their best to keep me under control. Would it help if the doctor gave you a statement? Or don't they do that because you don't have many seizures that can affect your work?

Old 07-25-2007, 11:28 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User

You wouldn't have to get a note from your doctor,
the S.S.A. will ask your dr. for copies of all your records.
It can take years to get disabiltiy for some. I had to appeal mine twice,
it took me almost five years to get approved.

Good-luck!! Sherri

Old 07-25-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Statements that DO apply are witness statements, people that have seen your seizures. I recalled having a seizure at a hospital when I was getting my arm re-wrapped so I obtained that statement from the hospital ER records.

For medical records get ready with the pen to do release forms for ANY Dr you can think of that can help you going back to your GP even (if you had seizures back then). I also included my old Neuros and Opthamologist (sp?) (eye Dr) from back when.

I had kept annual seizure logs (monthly) so THAT was a huge benefit for me. I also noted when medications were changed, totaled the monthly amount of seizures on that log.

Seizure logs, even if on wall calanders is for your benefit. It helps "prove" the amount you had. Thats why a lot of us on here encourage people to use ONE SPECIFIC calandar just for seizures and related.

I personally like the pocket ones; but they often don't have enough room so you need to go with time and letter code if you have multiple per day. Or go with a slightly larger one that is not the "month at a glance" type. (week at a glance?)

Having the 3 or 4 years worth of logs added invaluable data to show how often I had seizures along with the medication changes over that time frame (hospital records backed up med changes).

Only a few of the seizures was I admitted to the ER. I refuse to go. In the past they had overdosed me. Thats about all they can do unless you have a serious physical injury. So why go when you can stay home and sleep off the symptoms, as long as you are not having seizure after seizure.

--Travis

Old 07-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #6
(female)

Kimwwe HB User

Hi Jenlori,
I wanted to look into that myself due to new seizure disorder, OCD, anxiety, depression, etc. with plenty of phychiatrists and doctors knowing. I see you live in NY and me and my sister in law were just talking last night about how many people are on disability here in NY. I was going to look at some NYS SSI webpage and maybe get more info. Maybe you can look into that. Good luck, you know when you really need it!

Kim

Old 07-25-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User

Yes,like Travis said, having statements from witnesses.I had friends,family
and neighbors write letters for me and pictures if by chance you are ever
injured.Those are the two things that I did take in with me and my lawyer
the day that I was awarded the disability.When the judge seen my pictures,
I could tell by the look on his face that the pictures and when he read only
one letter out of 5,that all of that cinched the deal that day. Sherri

Old 07-26-2007, 02:54 PM   #8
(female)

jenlori71 HB User
Smile Re: Disability - Social Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwwe View Post
Hi Jenlori,
I wanted to look into that myself due to new seizure disorder, OCD, anxiety, depression, etc. with plenty of phychiatrists and doctors knowing. I see you live in NY and me and my sister in law were just talking last night about how many people are on disability here in NY. I was going to look at some NYS SSI webpage and maybe get more info. Maybe you can look into that. Good luck, you know when you really need it!

Kim
Thank you, Kim. I never had to deal with this before. I know I had thought of it. I think a long time ago people told me I wasn't considered disabled with my epilepsy, so I could work. I very much enjoy working so I hope it doesn't come down to this. But, I just wanted to do some research before I attempted getting on SSI.

-Jenlori

Old 07-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

I got on SSD with the first application because of the stack of documentation. Now, the neurologist is calling it refractory seizures (it was a bad week- he's never seen me before). I do have them a lot- enough to cancel plans, reschedule appointments, etc. And my employer, when I was working, shipped me out by ambulance at least 7-8 times- I don't remember most of that.

Don't give up if you really are having trouble with the seizures or med effects. You've paid into SSD with each paycheck. And, if you get stable again, you can do trials of going back to work with SSD still helping. A lot of people are denied several times- it's sort of an endurance thing- are you going to continue to apply, or give up--- don't give up if you need the help.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:23 AM   #10
(female)

jenlori71 HB User

My seizures aren't really as bad as some people. So, I don't think I will prosper if I attempt to try for SSD. I will talk with my doctor to see if it would be a good decision on my part. Thank you for your help.

Jenlori

Old 08-09-2007, 06:59 PM   #11
(male)

topper_9090 HB User

I am a seizure patient who is on SSD - Social Security Disability. I do have a Medicare card as well as being on the state HMO for those who are on disability.
From what I understand, a person nearly has to be "dead" before Social Security will accept the first submission of your application. My first submission was denied. I went as far as I did, but could not show I worked, till finally I had my SSD lawyer (who use to work for the SSA) and she was able to pull it through. The best part was I wasn't facing a huge fee from her ... she didn't charge me. That's probably not the case in many situations. Nor was she a "personal friend" neither. This was about 2 years later, though. If that step failed, the next step was to go before the state supreme court. I told my wife that if it got that far I may give up.
I don't know your work schedule nor how much time you spend at home doing housewife duties. Yes, I do know that being a housewife isn't all what people may think. I just need to look at my wife for that reason.
Another thing, the monthly amounts differ. For instance, talk to one disability individual and theirs may be $400-$500 per month. Mine is high ONLY because of the business I was in; computers. I do receive a "high" amount of SSD per month. On the other hand, take what I receive today and it's what I use to receive every two weeks when I was working back in the early nineties. The yearly increases can raise it another $25 to $50 per month. At least that's true in my case. In others it may be different and lower; I'm not sure.
The reason I'm on disability is because every time I tried to submit an application for a computer job I was told that either I wasn't experienced enough or the position was filled.
I have learned that I can go to work. My monthly amount can not exceed $900 nor can I work over 20 hours. If either happens, then, without any notices from Social Security, I will be cut off -- period. It has only been recently I thought I'd try to find something -- anything -- but I MUST tell any future employer that I must be on a part time basis and what my limits are. That also includes my physical limitations as well.
If I were you, first, talk with your doctor. Explain why you believe and feel you have the seizures. Have him "take it from there". He'll probably refer you to a Neurologist and he will preform tests; MRI, EEG, etc. While you are doing all this, keep notes as to what they say. Keep as an accurate account as to what happens to you during the day; do others say you just "went away"? Were there any hand, arm or other "strange" movements you made for a small period of time? Do you experience twitching, lip smacking, chewing and just stare? Do you fall while in these moments or weaving as if to fall? How is your temperment during these times. Getting angry about something is understandable but do you get angry or extremely upset for what would be "no reason"? How are your mood swings? Do they seem to be "uncontrolled"? That would mean going from being happy -- then possibly excited --- possibly to anger --- and/or being really depressed? If so, write down these times as to when you had them.
While having all of this done, as I said keep an accurate account as to what you experience because you'll need that information not only for your doctors but for Social Security when filling out forms. Try to be as thorough as you can be.
I'm not a doctor ... but can come from experiences I have had. If you decide to try for disability ... do expect a rather long process and a lot of filling out of forms. Who knows ... you may get it after the first submission.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:39 AM   #12
(female)

Kimwwe HB User

Hey Topper 9090. That is something I was wondering about when it came to disability. Does it go by how much you make or how long you have worked? I got my first grand mal at 40 which was this Feb. and second at 41 in June. So I've worked pretty much full time since my very early 20's with a few months exception here or there and I make a half way decent amout (for Buffalo anyway) so I did not know if they based it off that or not. I stopped taking my medication because I was so "zombie" like that people at work definately noticed a difference. My Neuro Doctor did not listen to a thing I said so I am seeing a new one at the end of August. I'd rather risk a seizure then feel like I did on that Zonegram.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:20 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwwe View Post
....My Neuro Doctor did not listen to a thing I said so I am seeing a new one at the end of August. I'd rather risk a seizure then feel like I did on that Zonegram.

I'd tell your Dr how you felt on the meds. That statement quoted above brought up a red flag with me. Changing therapy (meds) is very common.

I had major problems with Z (weight loss) and the weight loss caused a second med to become toxic in my system (high levels).

I'm sure from the reading you have done it is the "untreated" patients that are at more of a risk then those of us being treated and still having seizures.

Many more medications exist that can be tried if you still have seizures. It just takes time. It may take a few trials to locate the best medication for you.

--Travis

Old 08-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

I got through on the first application, and was surprised, but thankful. I've been on SSD for 2 years now (3 years of disability with my former jobs' long term disability plan, which also still helps financially), and am on Medicare, with the drug card and 'insurance' like coverage that replaces a supplement starting this month. My meds now cost me 0 for generics, and I can get a 3 month supply from my regular pharmacist (instead of waiting for mail order). I still hope to get back to work someday, but I'm thankful for what I have now. Medicaid helped some when I was on it, but my monthly "deductable" was over 2 thousand a month, which was impossible to do anything with- I'm now thinking about credit counseling- and paying them a certain amount each month to deal with the medical bills....I've been suicidal over the calls.

Closed Thread