It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #1
(female)

willow12 HB User
Question Alternative medicine/ natural remedies?

Hello,
I have an Aunt I am trying to help. I would say she has a seizure disorder caused from a fall. She began having seizures at 23 (now she told me just recently she DID take a hard fall when drunk before the seizures began) They thought she had a brain tumor. So the docs opened her head to get a biopsy (found nothing). Something went wrong (the newest neurologist says that surgeon took a piece of her brain out) and she suffered a stroke while under. She woke up to being paralyzed on her entire right side of her body and could not talk. She can walk now but slowly with a limp, she can talk but is hard to understand for other ppl. She didnt have a seizure for 18 years after the stroke because she was on meds until one night (3 yrs ago) she fell and hit her head hard. Just before that her doc took her off of one pill to see how she did. The next day she had a seizure. It has been terrible ever since. She has suffered numerous seizures. Most recently she had 3 within 3 days. She is on Phenobarbitol, Trileptol, Lamictol (about 4 pills each drug per day). The neurologists (she has seen 5 in the last couple yrs) have switched her meds and given her every possible thing they can. All the drugs are doing is depleting and deteriorating her body. They are not preventing seizures. Docs have literally given up on her. I am taking her to a chiropractor that also specializes in kinesiology tomorrow. I have taken her before but we quit going because it was so expensive. She was feeling better on the supplements he gave her. Now the family has all pitched in and she will go for the next 8 weeks. My family and I have seen this Doctor many times for many ailments. I have FULL faith he will give her the tools to restore her health naturally. Anyway, the reason I am posting is I want to know what other natural methods have worked for others.
Please let me know your suggestions and experiences, I would really appreciate it!
Thanks so much

The following user gives a hug of support to willow12:
elleihn07 (10-21-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: Alternative medicine/ natural remedies?

Before going the other way, have you tried locating an Epileptologist? They have extensive training in neurology and a specality in epilepsy. They are NOT just a neurologist. These are the type of Dr's you want to find for people who have epilepsy. Epilepsy specality clinics usually have this sort of staff.

I'd suggest sticking with traditional means: medications, testing, possible examinations to see if the implant MAY be feasible.

If that fails you can start to look into alternate means. After my treatment first failed and we needed to try to stabalize me, I was researching natural therapy after 7 years of medication after medication seemed to fail until they found something CLOSE... Then they found what I am on now about a year later. It gets grim. My previous Dr was even pushing me to get the implant and I outright refused until I had gone through ALL medications. Leaving surgery as a last resort. I'm glad I did. I wouldn't be where I am at now.

--Travis

Closed Thread