It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
(male)

WVBaker HB User
Question HELP What is going on.

I must ask those who have been through these experiences and I want to thank you up front for reading this.

Let me explain what took place.

A few weeks ago, the wife and I were on separate computers, located in separate rooms, playing a game of cards on the Internet. A neighbor was online as well. We were all on the same site, at the same time. She noticed that when it was my turn to play, I wasnít responding. She came into the room I was in and said I was just sitting there, staring at the computer. I was conscious while she was there and responded to some of her questions. During her concern she reach for out blood pressure device and ask me for my arm and I did so. She took my pressure and it was completely normal. Several minutes later, I remember her asking me if I was aware what took place and I couldnít. The entire incident, all five or ten minutes, is a blank. During this incident, I was aware of what was going on around me, according to the wife.

Then, about a week ago, we were standing in the kitchen talking, when she said I appeared to sway backwards a bit. Again, never lost consciousness. Our Son, picked up a soda I had just placed on the counter and began to carry it into the living room for me. She tells me I told him not to touch it and to put it down. Next thing I remember, Iím sitting on the couch and I have no clue as to what just took place the previous few minutes. Donít remember it at all. Again, during this incident, I was aware of what was going on around me, according to the wife.

She tells me that this has happened 3 or 4 times over the past 5 or 6 months. There has never been any twitching, jerking, eye movements or odd spasms at all, on any part of my body. I have even stood and talked normal to an EMT who was present during one of these incidents. Answered his questions, but after it was over, donít remember it. He told the wife that he didnít believe it looked like a seizure from his experience.

After talking with our family doctor, I had the following tests:

CBC and all counts were normal and within proper ranges
EEG was normal
CT Scan without contrast was normal
CT Scan with contrast was normal
MRI without contrast was normal
MRI with contrast was normal
I wore a Halter Monitor for 24 hours and all results, were normal

I should also add, that there is no family history of Epilepsy and I am 52 years of age and currently being treated for stress, anxiety and high blood pressure. I have an appointment with a neurologist on the 27th of next month. My GP thinks I may suffer from Bi-Polar and has placed me on medication for it. Lamictal, which Iím sure you all know treats both Bi-Polar and Epilepsy.

I thought about Complex Partial Seizures, but there have never been any "complex" symptoms or automatisms during any of the events.
By that, I am referring to:
Involuntary but coordinated movements that tend to be purposeless and repetitive.
Eye twitching
Lip smacking
Chewing
Fidgeting and walking
Moving the arms and legs in strange and purposeless ways
Utter meaningless sounds
Wandering around
Buttoning or unbuttoning clothing
Acts of violence
Crying
Fatigue or confusion (I Always feel fine after it happens)
Also, I have never experienced an "aura," or a feeling that a seizure is going to occur. I wish I had or would, and then I could let others around me know.
Let me ask, what would your personal diagnosis be?

A. Epilepsy with Simple Partial Seizures
B. Epilepsy with Complex Partial Seizures
C. Psychogenic Non-Epileptic Seizures
D. Some other Disassociation Event

Sorry for being so long in explaining

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: HELP What is going on.

I would guess simple partial seizures, or even complex partials, since many with those can still repsond to simple commands- best to let to docs sort it out. Bi-polar disorder doesn't sound like any of that. A normal EEG one time doesn't mean much.....

Closed Thread