It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
(female)

Delmarmom HB User
Question Re: seizure disorder 12 yr old boy

How has the topomax been working? Is your son okay? I have been searching for some information and support. My 13 year old boy had a grand mal seizure a few days ago, very unexpectedly, without any history of seizures. His EEG has some abnormal spikes, so the doctor recommended Topomax and we just started with 25 mg today. I am nervous about what I read, but I am trying to stay very positive. Did it take long to ramp up to the right level? Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: seizure disorder 12 yr old boy

BUT, I'll help with generals on Topa.

Topamax when starting they increase 25mg per week. My doc explained to me it takes the body nearly this long to adapt to the increased levels. During my initial titration (ramping up) to 100MG AM and PM; I had a few episodes of the following. Two occurences where I lost my train of thought. Once was on the phone, and another was when I was composing an email. All of a sudden I couldn't think of the words to type or speak. It didn't "feel" like a seizure. Have not had those since increasing medications.

Food issues: the taste of foods (diet soda's!!) can be different in SOME instances depending on the food.

Eating may be supressed. I had that happen once my dose was at 300mg (and above). I had to learn how to "force" myself to eat. I had no desire to eat. The medication makes the mind think you are not hungry. I could easially go 2 days without eating, and I never have had any eating issues. If anything I wanted to add on some weight. I did note that the **aroma** of seafood (shrimp in specific) triggered my appitite when in restraunts.

Energy: It took away my energy. I could bike 10 miles before no problem. Last time I tried I couldn't pull 2. I didn't have the stamina. I exhaust more easially when doing physical activities (construction, moving heavier items).

Not everybody has these symptoms. However this is what I have had; with the exception of food distaste mostly. Sometimes soda (normal soda, brand name) tasted "flat" or "stale". However that didn't persist very long.

Hope that helps somewhat. I was not on Topa as a teen, so it may differ in sidefx experienced. At that age I was on Teg (tablet) and Pheno.

--Travis

Last edited by moderator2; 08-08-2007 at 04:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread