It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 05:37 AM   #1
(female)

aussie308 HB User
seizure meds. and heat sensitivity

I know this summer has been awful, and after a while the heat will wear on anyone,but, I've noticed this summer since I've been on Keppra and Trileptal I am very sun, heat sensitive. This is the first summer I have been on that combination and I have gotten so sensitive if it's above 80 degrees or so I won't go out to work in the garden alone anymore. I can get so hot so quickly that I can't be out for more than 15 mins. or so before I start feeling very sick and dizzy. I haven't done much in the summer for several years because getting over heated has always increased seiz. activity, but this year seems even worse.

Has anyone else experienced increased sun/ heat sensitivity with certain meds. ? Thank you for any replies.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
(male)

IMNRVUS HB User
Re: seizure meds. and heat sensitivity

I've only taken Phenytoin (Dilantin) for seizure control.
Be thankful you live where you do.
It got up to about 116 degrees here.
I only go out early or late in the day.
I don't even have to go outside to have side effects from the heat.
I set my thermostat inside at 80... which is comfortable to me.
I still have no ambition to do anything but eat, sleep, and watch TV.
I get dizzy more than during cooler weather.
Humidity over 20% makes it much worse here.
If you go outside.....
Drink a lot of water, wear a hat and sunglasses!

Last edited by IMNRVUS; 08-08-2007 at 11:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Isn't Trileptal a variant of Tegretol (chemically)?

Teg is known for causing patients to be sensitive to sun exposure, mainly burning easially.

With ANY medications keeping hydrated in sumer conditions is needed. Even for healthy persons not on medications. Dehydration can come easially. Taking frequent breaks, drinking a lot of WATER (NOT soda, NOT energy drinks) helps when being exposed to sun and hot environments. It will keep your system hydrated. Breaks (shade, or inside if you can) help. Going into an air conditioned environment may cause **shock** to the system, so be carefull when doing that depending on the temp change from outside to inside.

what else...

LIGHT colored clothing (natural, not synthetic so it breathes) so it reflects light not absorbes it long sleeve THIN if you want to try and cover up your arms; otherwise stay with short sleeve. And the tips from the previous post.

I'd also sugest one of the many commercial products you can find in sports stores. Water back packs, or similar ones. A good way to keep water on you that you can drink through a tube (bite and drink). In hot temps fill them half way with ICE and the rest with water to make sure they stay cool if you intend to be out long.

Just came to my mind... Beach umbrella for larger area of shade. Won't really bump down the ambient temp, but will provide shade and make it "feel" slightly cooler without the direct sun beating down on you.

--Travis

Old 08-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
(female)

aussie308 HB User

Thanks guys, for your answers and input. IMN, even tho the temp. doesn't reach quite as high here the humidity is HORRIBLE! The temp. the last several days has been in the high 90's to over 100 with a heat index over 106 so I feel your pain.

Travis, I am very careful about staying hydrated and drinking LOTS of water. I do have coffee first thing in the moring and sometimes iced tea if I'm inside (unsweetened) but if I am outside it is always water. On days as hot as it has been I don't go outside from the heat to A/C any more than absolutely necessary. I know going from extreme heat to cold A/C is very hard on me and have had to be in and out alot the last 2 days and have ended up with a migraine and a mild seizure to show for it. I have stayed in and stayed cool, not chilled today. If I want or need to go out I try to do as much as I can very early or late in the day. I also always wear sunscreen and a wide brimmed hat.

I don't know about the relationship between trileptal and tegratol, but I know I don't like this heat either way.

Again, thank you both for your caring replies. If I seem grumpy it's nothing personal, it's just this dang heat wave and inability to do what I love more than usual. Be outside.

Laura

Old 08-08-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
(male)

IMNRVUS HB User

I know about the humidity problem... I'm from Upstate NY, near Lake Ontario in the Syracuse suburbs. Never had seizures there though, only in Nevada.

Closed Thread