It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
(female)

caza HB User
what are the rules on driving and epilepsy?

can anyone outline the rules on driving and epelepsy caza

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: what are the rules on driving and epilepsy?

Each state has it's own rules; some are very strict and require MDs to report epileptics to the DMV, and others are less strict, have no required reporting, and basically depend on the doctor and patient discussing it, and coming to a conclusion depending on the type of seizure, frequency, presence of an aura, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
(female)

caza HB User

so if you are epeleptic and have no warning of a seizure and fit regular and are on meds you really should not be driving

Old 08-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

Yeah, but check with your doc and the local rules for driving- some may allow for appointments or shopping close to home ( a limit on distance and time you don't typically have seizures).....but if you have no warning, you might be better to check into transportation for those with disabilities, and definitely get a Medic Alert necklace saying you have seizures- or you could end up in the drunk tank.....

Old 08-12-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
(female)

caza HB User

in the what

Old 08-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

Drunk tank in the jail for appearing to be intoxicated, when you're really having a seizure- common misconception....

Old 08-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
(female)

caza HB User

thank you for your help i really appreciate it take care caza

Old 08-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

No problem- what we're all here for

Old 08-15-2007, 07:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

The district that is in charge of issuing the license. Check with that board or commission in the UK, or call them for the regulations/restrictions about: seizures, diabetics, epilepsy and driving.

Be BROAD in your questioning over the telephone and ask if they have a location you can read the restrictions or if there is a publication that shows these limitations.

See if they can send you the specifics. If cornered say you are checking for a family member who is to start training soon.

In the US amost ALL states ask if you have "ever had a seizure" and/or "are you diabetic" and that flags you in the computer system.

Being from the US I don't know foreign driving regulations. I do know Europe tends to be a LOT stronger restrictions when compare to the US.

In the USA the states differ from 3-12 months seizure free in order to drive. Having driven in the past, and when I did I thankfully had what were called "pre-cursors"; now called "aura's". Mine were a ringing in the ear, electric feeling that would occur before a seizure (not anymore sadly) to give me time to pull to the curb and park/hazard lights JUST in case one would happen. Never did, but I had the warnings back then.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #10
(female)

bevin 30 HB User
Smile Re: what are the rules on driving and epilepsy?

hello my name is bevin and do not drive because of the fact that I have a non specific seizure disorder and I would like to tell the original poster of the original question that Mr travis from MN is correct in saying that you need to check with the district in which you live especially if in a foreign country. but in my state newjersey in the unitedstates someone who is diagnoised with a seizure has to be free of the symptoms for two years before going back to driving again only limited distances otherwise the doctor has to notify the state of your diagnosis and then the state determines in most cases of seizures and driving that is dangerous to have someone with those symptoms behind the wheel their license is taken away and then to make things more
difficult they have to fight for their license back and have to fight to have driving privleges back.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #11
(female)

lamb HB User

I don't drive but it would be nice in this day and age. I don't have auras so don't think I should drive. I don't have sz often but I could have one causing an accident. I don't want to hurt anyone or maybe even kill someone

Old 08-20-2007, 05:41 AM   #12
(female)

caza HB User

thankyou everyone all your advice has been gratefully accepted i will do what needs to be done caza

Old 08-20-2007, 11:55 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Caza, Not sure if this will help...

I could drive at one point, when mine were well controlled. I lost that control and "went downhill" lost control of my seizures. Had to give up my license a total of 3 times. Managed to get it back twice.

After I figured out I was not getting better for control I moved to where I could use mass transit and move out of rural regions that had no public transit. When I was going to move again, Public Transit was the FIRST item I looked for in cities over where I would be moving to. I could have been moving 2 or 3 hours away from family just to live in a city that had transit. Thankfully I found housing in one that was closer and had rent available.

Besides, why drive in traffic to a destination when I can make it in a handfull of minutes no traffic backup Travel above the roads with family at the yoke.

--Travis

Closed Thread