It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 04:05 AM   #1
(female)

kelcz HB User
Smile epilepsy and dreaming

since i found i had epilepsy a year ago i have noticed an increase of vivid dreams and amazing recollection of them. no one i know is able to recall distinct details of their dreams like the clothing of a person near you or what shoes i may have been wearing. not only am i able to recall these amazingly well, what else is interesting is how random these dreams are. they often pick random people i know or dont know but have seen-like the lady who delivers pamphlets to my house who i have never met but dreamed about yelling and argueing with me, i also dreamed she had a son who was quite fat and wore an orange shirt and we were at a volleyball match. now i was wondering if this is epilepsy, or if it is just an extremely vivid imagination?

Old 08-13-2007, 07:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: epilepsy and dreaming

I have weird dreams about people I don't know (fiction dreams?) that are amazingly detailed, but I don't always remember them. I hadn't associated them with seizures, but who knows. I do have night seizures. But I might also just be having weird dreams because of medication, being really tired, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2007, 07:42 AM   #3
(female)

jenlori71 HB User

I also have alot of dreams that I remember real clearly. Yet, while I am sleeping and having these dreams I am also having seizures. Alot of times I am waking up with bruises and have no idea how I got them.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
(female)

kelcz HB User
Wink Re: epilepsy and dreaming

thanks very much. i have always had nocturnal seizures, but what you have said makes me think that maybe i am having complex partial in my sleep. im not having tonic clonic as i normally bite my tongue to pieces, but i will investigate that further

Old 08-14-2007, 06:44 AM   #5
(male)

wdmoor HB User

I'd noticed the dream association with epilepsy before. Weird, isn't it? I have out-of-body dreams. I recently dreamt I was a young Japanese boy in a fishing village, and it was so detailed and vivid, down to sound and smell and color, I had trouble waking up and focusing my awareness. I was hung over with this dream all day. The brain is a strange thing.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

I've been exactly the opposite since (thinking) Keppra started. Very rarely do I have dreams that I can recall. It's very possible that I dream, I just don't recall having them.
I mean rare for me to dream now! I would dream before on I'd guess the usual basis. A few times I had what I'd call freakish dreams dealing with friends, not scary, but very odd due to their medical condition at the time (of the dream). Those occations were a good 7 years ago!!

However now I have what I call a lack of dreams. My educated guess is, it is from the medications. I can't base that on any facts whatsoever; it as I say ***just a guess*** knowing that medications effect our minds. Trust me, a "lack of dreams" is very odd. I wouldn't mind having them (dreams) back now and then.

Thats comments from the opposite side. Hope I didn't burst your bubble.

--Travis

Old 08-15-2007, 02:03 PM   #7
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User

Travis, that's funny, well, not in a "ha-ha" sort of way, that you mention your lack of dreams since starting Keppra, as my dreams have become even more vivid since I started taking it in March! ? ? ? ?

I've always had very vivid dreams and I used to keep a dream journal, inspired by a college course I took a gajillion years ago. I have recurring dreams that pick up where the other left off and I swear it will someday make a great novel. For years that particular dream was in a holding pattern...same scenario played every night and just wouldn't progress. I know the story is a murder/mystery that takes place in Hawaii (never been there but I can describe the locale)...the characters are well-rounded and the storyline, well, I just don't know where it came from but I know every time my alarm went off I would get MAD becuz it meant I had to go to work and my "book" had to wait and the next chapter would perhaps write itself out in my head the following night.

Then I got this blasted "E" and started these meds and the dreams stopped...until Keppra. Now my Hawaiian-based murder/mystery is starting to come back, and the storyline is finally moving along and I'm psyched!

Perhaps these messed up temporal lobes can be of use afterall, eh? I say, enjoy the dreams when you have 'em!

Old 08-17-2007, 08:47 PM   #8
(female)

kelcz HB User

well i thought id just write down my newest dreams and thought about them. not only are they getting weirder and even more vivid, i goto sleep expecting them to come. my nightly thoughts are "well, i wonder what im in store for tonight??" haha. last night i had a dream about a horse that was standing in a camera shop, it then turned into a dog that i chased, the night before that i was following pikachu (yes the yellow pokemon) around a lake after i washed ashore, and the night before that i dreamed i was at the ski fields where there was a large mall, and in it there was a little chinese shop which i went into and the woman said to me "its daffodil day and i sold a plastic daffidol" in a merry tone" then after the chairlift i was on began to swing violently and made me fall off and i hung onto a bar underneath till i dropped off onto a higher mound of snow. now not only are these dreams odd, but when i wake up, its like i was actually there. they are so realistic when i woke from the ski one i was absolutely terrified from the falling and i was cold all over from the snow but i was under many blankets, the horse dream, i woke up with the greatest need to jump on a horse, just to fall off. i normally wake up at about 4am with these and have to wait till i have come to my senses and pulled myself out of the realism of the dream. so i lose about half an hour of sleep per night.

any of your weird dream stories are welcome

Closed Thread