It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2007, 01:39 AM   #1
(female)

katehrine1987 HB User
seizures, but no diagnosis, any ideas?

I have been suffering from seizures since January 2007 and have them on a regualar basis. I have han MRI scan which showed no brain abnormalities, but still waiting for results on EEG. It has been 8 months now and i still have not been given any medication, is this normal?? They have now told me i have to go in to hospital for five days in October for observation, but do not seem to be doing anything in the mean time. Has anyone got any suggestions or helpful tips. I can't imagine that is should take this long, but is this the normal for people?? Welcome any feedback. Thanks.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
(female)

chelly80 HB User
Re: seizures, but no diagnosis, any ideas?

Hi K,

I too suffer from seizures, i was diagnosed in june 2007 and i have had 3 others since wih my last on on saturday.I am still waiting for a nuro appointment so till them just have to sit and wonder why it is happening. I was put on medication but was suffering side effects so decided to stop taking them.My doctor said they coulden't change my medication and that i would have to wait till i see the nuro(whenever that may be). I'm sorry i don't have any answers for you but thought you may find it setteling to know your not the only one in your situation.
I hope you find a reason soon. Chin up

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2007, 12:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

It can take a long time to get into a neuro's office here in the US, too. But, an ER visit should speed things up, if they give you papers telling you to make an appointment with a specific neuro (you can always change later if you don't like him/her). They did the MRI and EEG- which is standard, to get the results of those, since that will help them know better what sort of meds to give you. Did you have a witness who could describe the seizures to the doc? Being admitted for 5 days for observation is GREAT !! They can see and document what's going on, and you'll be in a safe place.

Some primary docs will prescribe neuro meds, but some won't. Depends on their own level of comfort with seizures and seizure meds......

Old 08-28-2007, 01:56 PM   #4
(male)

shakin stevens HB User

katehrine1987,
that was a good year, it is usual in the UK not to get any meds until your second grand mal but this is also variable depending on your location in the uk. you should see your NHS neurologist at least once every 6 months though to confirm his reasons. smile meds aren't always the answer anyway.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

That seems strange that they wouldn't put you on meds right away. After I had my gran mal seizure, I went to my primary physician the next morning, after talking to me about what happened, and knowing from my records that I'd been diagnosed a few years earlier by a pediatric neurologist with "possible seizures", he put me on Dilantin and referred me to a neurologist.

Closed Thread