It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User
(good) memory and epilepsy

I have temporal lobe seizures from what my neuro told me once. I just read another post where a poster mentioned that she has temporal lobe epilepsy and instead of having memory problems because of it (like a lot of people with temporal lobe seizures do), she actually had a really good memory because of it. I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread with my question, so I'm posting my own...
Are there a lot of cases where temporal lobe epilepsy can cause you to have a really good long-term memory? I can remember things from when I was two years old. For example, I remember the day my brother was born- in kind of a snapshot way, but I remember a bunch of details from that day, and I was a little over 2 months shy of my 3rd birthday. I always thought that was normal, and then I found out that most people I know can't remember anything from before they were 4 or 5 years old. My mom has always been astonished at the things I can remember and the detail in which I remember them, from back when I was just 2, 3, or 4 years old. I can also recall details about things that no one else remembers. Like, one example I can think of now was just brought up last week by my family- my parents were trying to remember the last time we'd been to a certain place, and I immediately chimed in and said that it was eight years ago in August, when I was seventeen, and I remembered the shirt I was wearing and that me and my brother went to a party at our friend's house that same night. I don't know if it's not common to remember things in detail like that when they happened 8 years ago, but that's how my memory has always worked.
The thing is, though, that my seizures didn't start until I was about 12 years old. So does the fact that I've always had what people who know me well would say is a freakishly good long-term memory mean that there's been something "strange" with my temporal lobe my whole life?
I don't have the greatest short-term memory, though. Like, I never did exceptionally good on tests or stuff like that in school. I usually got good grades, but certain things my mind couldn't grasp, and I didn't do the greatests on tests in those things.
anyone else have a memory like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
(female)

bevin 30 HB User
Re: (good) memory and epilepsy

To sentencedoing hello my name is bevin and i have had a temporal lobe seizure problem since the age of four(or non specific seizure disorder my given diagnosis as an adult) and because of that my short term memory is affected badly somedays and my long term memory is occassionally affected very badly on days when my seizure symptoms are very bad. The seizure disorder I suffer from is located in the temporal lobes in my brain. Both my long and short term memory are affected depending on how bad my symptoms are. I also as a child had trouble taking standardized tests and failed those type of tests because of my learning disability which was caused by my seizures. My mom felt that my learning problems and my seizure disorder ever since I was a child went hand in hand . She has felt ever since my childhood that my learning disabilities were cause by my seizures which started at the age of four ( during my childhood). I believe that my short term memory and my learning disability and my seizure disorder are all connnected and I also believe my seizure disorder is the main reason for all of the problems( poor short term memory and learning disability.) I hope this answers your question on memory and seizures. sometimes people can have really good memories and still suffer from seizures. I think it depends on the person and what symptoms they suffer from during seizure attacks.

Last edited by bevin 30; 08-22-2007 at 11:37 AM.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:37 AM   #3
(female)

lamb HB User

SenteceDoing, I have TE too.I can't say remembering things from long ago has anything to do with TE. But I remember things from long ago. I thought everyone did. Maybe we remember only those things that were somehow important. Like that one time you were going to a party & thats important to a child. I remember Hawaii becoming a state in 1959..the part about adding another star to the flag. I was born in 1958. I also remember Pres. Kennedy dyng (not exactly when but the fact that it happened & a guy named Johnson became the new pres.).

Old 08-22-2007, 02:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Thanks for the replies.
Just something I was curious about.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:11 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User

Hi SentenceDoing,

It was probably my post that you read.Yes,I use to have one
of the greatest long/short term memory in my whole family.
It has just been within the last 4 years that my memory has
started to fail big time.I still have a fairly good long term,but,my
short term is history.I don't know for sure if it is all due to my
reaching perimenopause years or a few of the falls I have had.The
few falls I have had caused severe injuries to my head that could
also be responsible,that is when my memory started to fail me also.

Take care,Sherri

Closed Thread