It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2007, 10:18 AM   #1
(female)

jenlori71 HB User
Lack of sleep and seizures

Hi! I have been having alot of trouble sleeping at night. I'm lucky if I get 6 hours. Just last night I only slept from 10:30 pm to 1 am. I sleep better during the day. However, I go to work Mon - Friday 9:30am to 6:00pm and soon I will be starting part-time night classes at college. My doctor has put me on medication that helps people sleep at night but it hasn't done me much good. I've noticed that lack of sleep is another thing that is causing me to have some seizures. I just wish there was someway for me to stay asleep when I go to sleep at night. I have two kids and I am jealous of the fact that they can sleep all night and I have to fight with myself to get to sleep, then stay asleep.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Re: Lack of sleep and seizures

Have you thought about going to a sleep study? Has your dr mentioned this to you. I had the same problem - waking up at all hours of the night. My neuro ordered a sleep study. I have sleep apnea. Which is causing me to have seizures.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
(female)

jenlori71 HB User

Thank you. I will be seeing another neurologist in 2 weeks and will mention it to them to see what they have to say.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
(male)

IMNRVUS HB User

I've had only 8 GM seizures (always while sleeping) since the first one in Oct. '01. Doctors had no idea what caused them. They were too quick to diagnosis my seizures as Epilepsy and sent me on my way with meds.
Through my researsch, and a great E.N.& T. doctor, I've proven that my sinus problems (which cause sleep apnea when I sleep on my back) are the cause of my GM seizures.

Find a good Ear, Nose and Throat Doctor.

Last edited by IMNRVUS; 08-27-2007 at 01:36 PM.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

I second that. That is who sent me to a neurologist to research my sleep habits.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:43 PM   #6
(male)

IMNRVUS HB User

So far, I haven't had a sleep study. Everytime I woke up after a seizure, I was on my back... except for the very first one. For that one, I was face down in a pillow. Every time I was having trouble breathing... and making funny noises.
I called the place where the sleep study is done. I asked what they did if I was having trouble breathing... they said nothing! I asked what they did if I started to have a seizure... they said that they'd call 911 and send me to a hospital.
SORRY... I DON'T WANT ANOTHER SEIZURE IF I HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT IT!
Both my Neurologist and E N T Dr. agreed with me when I refused to take that test for the insurance company. The E N T is working around it somehow. Maybe it's because my sleep apnea is caused by my sinuses instead of in my throat (like it usually is).

Old 08-27-2007, 06:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

Lack of sleep is a big trigger for me to have more seizures (complex partials). I take trazadone for sleep, along with the other meds for seizures, dysautonomia, and fibromyalgia....eventually I fall asleep. Most of the time, I stay up until I feel like I can sleep, instead of lying in bed wishing I were asleep. That has helped me. I used to flop around for a while, but if I stay up until I feel tired enough, I generally go right to sleep.

Closed Thread