It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 07:12 AM   #1
(female)

Gurl66 HB User
Talking Anyone ever heard of REBOUND of taking seizure meds??

I have had seizures now for 20 years. I have the petit ones, shaking and such. There has been a few times I have had the big ones, where eyes roll back in head, loss of time and didnt know I was having it until I woke up in the hospital. I thought that I was getting them under control (somewhat), I would still have a couple of them, especially in the mornings, but not as much as I used to have them. When it is my time of the month I would take an extra Tegratol (sp??) cause I have them more at that time. BTW: I take Tegratol twice a day and Depakote 5 times a day. Here lately I have been having more seizures. I had a big one yesterday morning where I fell and when I was falling got my finger stuck in the door and couldnt get it out. My husband said I am taking too many tegratols and that is probably why i am having them all of a sudden. My mom said it was called rebound effect. Was wondering if anyone has gone through this...I dont wanna go back to the Nero. dont think he knows what he is doing anyways. lol He will just put me on more depakote..any help would be great ...thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: Anyone ever heard of REBOUND of taking seizure meds??

You really need to get drug levels done to find out if you're on too many meds; and are you adjusting meds on your own???? That's never a good idea, unless your doc tells you to take an extra Teg if you have a seizure, but usually it's for that day only..... get in to see your primary doc, who can do the lab and call your neuro- might get you in faster

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cher1052 HB User

I have to agree with neurowreck --- Don't take extra pills because YOU think they'll help control things!!! Cycles can bring on a seizure. TALK with your Dr. Cherie

Old 08-29-2007, 09:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

Ironically, some seizure meds actually have seizures as side effects, generally depending on the dose....

Old 09-03-2007, 12:53 AM   #5
(female)

zeak HB User

Just wondering if lamictal could be one of these drugs do you know?

Old 09-03-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

You can have more seizures if you're toxic- it's not really rebound, which is more seizures if you stop taking the meds (which would be more like withdrawl seizures).... nose spray can cause rebound congestion if you stop taking it....you don't really get rebound by taking the same or more of the med- you can get physical dependence (not addiction) or the med isn't working for you anymore, or toxicity..... get those levels done

Closed Thread