It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
100 pills of Topa on the wall, 100 pills of Topa....

Geez .....one 25mg pill last evening, and today, I feel like my eyes are half crossed, and I've got marbles in my mouth when I talk. I read that those are fairly normal at first, and will get better (they have to !!).....this is going to be a long month getting up to just 50mg twice a day . It's a good thing I don't have to be anywhere. I rescheduled an appointment for tomorrow since I don't want to even try the car like this (I still drive, but know my limits). I slept well. Eating has been an issue for a while, so with one pill, I wouldn't expect to see changes yet, at that dose. Oy vey.....

Old 08-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: 100 pills of Topa on the wall, 100 pills of Topa....

nodding head..

Just make sure to check emails and letters so there are not gaps. I was barely able to squeak out "I'll call back" on the phone when Topa was taking my words away. I litterally did not have words in my head. Something (obviously Topamax) wiped the ability to compose sentences, even THINK of words. It took about 5 minutes until this symptom wore off and I was back to normal. Had to call back and explain why I cut the call short. Happened verbal once, online when typing twice. Drove me up the wall.

It did not have the symptoms of a typical seizure. none of the usual feelings that went along with it. In fact it felt normal; except not being able to think of words.

So, be careful... and welcome to the joyous (sarcastic) world of topamax ramp-up.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2007, 07:04 AM   #3
(female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User

Sorry, Travis. I feel your pain. It started like that with me and then got progressively worse. You might wanna give your doctor a call.

I'm still weaning. I"m now on half the dose I was on when I first came here but what a difference. I'm not as painfully stupid as I was a month ago from this drug....but I still have my moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis from MN View Post
nodding head..

Just make sure to check emails and letters so there are not gaps. I was barely able to squeak out "I'll call back" on the phone when Topa was taking my words away. I litterally did not have words in my head. Something (obviously Topamax) wiped the ability to compose sentences, even THINK of words. It took about 5 minutes until this symptom wore off and I was back to normal. Had to call back and explain why I cut the call short. Happened verbal once, online when typing twice. Drove me up the wall.

It did not have the symptoms of a typical seizure. none of the usual feelings that went along with it. In fact it felt normal; except not being able to think of words.

So, be careful... and welcome to the joyous (sarcastic) world of topamax ramp-up.

--Travis

Old 08-29-2007, 07:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

Today is a bit better- just really tired. Sunday, I go up another 25mg, in the a.m.....then the next week another 25 at bedtime, and the following week, another 25 in the morning, so when I see the neuro again, I'm on 50 mg twice a day, which can't be the final dose being aimed for....maybe that's just the hardest to get used to.....

Old 08-30-2007, 07:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Usually they bring you up to 100am/100pm and then go from there :| . See where your levels are at, see how you are feeling, if you are controlled, if you are tollerating it (well, how well anyway).

Levels only tell a small part of the picture. After an increase mine DROPPED when one would think they would go up for Topa. That was one of those "go figure" outcomes. However I did not have an outbreak of seizures, or an increase, so that was a good indication. No prolonged sideFX were felt.

Good to hear the initial effects are wearing off a little bit and your body hopefully is adapting.

--Travis

Old 08-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

I see the doc at 50mg twice/day- pretty slow, but that will take a month. By then, he'll have the CTs from the hospital, and records from the last neuro (who I can't stand, but did some tests) to review before ordering any others. My guess is that I'll be bumped up at that time. I can't imagine being on 100mg/day, when the med books list higher daily (divided) doses. But at the same time, I'm glad he's going slow.....and I was wrong about when I go up on the twice a day- that will be tomorrow. I don't have anything going on anyway, and got shopping done today. By the time I have to go anywhere next week, I will have been on the twice/day (25s) for a few days.... hopefully, it will even out in 3-4 days, like the first night 25s did.

I know that it takes a while to get used to meds- and I can live with that if I know what to expect. I've had so many other medical problems, I never know what's causing what.

Closed Thread