It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
(female)

dvweez HB User
How to calm yourself during a seizure

I have a question for you all. I have refractory simple complex seizures due to a brain tumor that was removed 1-1/2 years ago.I usually have a 15-30 second window by the time I feel the seizure coming on to the time my right side is jerking. The seizure starts at my foot running up to my shoulder.
The jerking starts out mild (at that time I just try to relax and concentrate on breathing nice and easy). Within seconds it turns into a very rapid hard and painful jerking it hits my diaphram and makes it difficult to catch my breath (hard to relax and concentrate). It always lasts around 3 minutes. My neuro doctor (who I like) has said that he feels eventually it will turn in to a GM. I always think about that when I begin to have a seizure ....or the possibilty of it just not stopping.... I have about 3-4 seizures a month.
I am on Lamictal and Tegretol. Max on each.
My leg has always been numb due to craniotomy but acts up...pins needles or electric shock many times during week. I know a seizure is eminent when I get these feelings. My seizures have changed from day to night lately... about 30 minutes to and hour after I have gotten to sleep. It startles the heck out of me to wake up like that. I have a hard time going to bed now in fear of a seizure (I have always been able to deal with any fears I had head on..and be done with it.) Not this time, which is frustrating.
Sorry I am long winded...I just would like to know how you all control that "fear" (I hate that word) of having a seizure, and if you are awake during a jerking seizure...how do you calm yourself down....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: How to calm yourself during a seizure

I can't do anything once the seizure starts. During the aura (and yes, I realize that's a simple partial seizure), I can get myself to bed, or a safe place, and stay there, and sleep afterwards. I'm more isolated from being on disability than I'd like to be, but my biggest dread with the seizures is being seen during them. I'd rather be home, and not visible, and also safer.

Closed Thread