It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2007, 10:02 AM   #1
(female)

minner33 HB User
New here and scared out of my mind!

Hi everyone,

I am new to this board and I have already received some valuable insight and support just from reading your posts. Thank you! However, I still have questions.

I am a 35 y/o female who just started having seizures (I don't know what type, that is how new this is to me). I had my first seizure about 4 months ago. The only way I can describe it was I felt like I was "short circuiting". I was lying down at the time watching tv late at night and the next thing I know my dh has me sitting next to him and he is talking to me. He said I woke him up because I made an odd noise and he came downstairs and found me limp on the floor. He said it took about 15 minutes to wake me up and make me alert and coherant. Foolishly, I didn't go to the ER because I thought I had taken WAY too many over the counter headache medicine because I had been having HORRIBLE headaches. So I shrugged it off swearing to never do that again.

Fast forward four months later. On a Tues afternoon I am in a shoe store buying shoes with my 2 daughters (4 y/o and 2 y/o) when I started having the "short circuit" feeling again. I guess it is like sticking your finger in a light socket magnified times 100!!!! All I could think was PLEASE GOD NO!! Then it stopped after about a minute. (I did eat a candy bar that was at the register. I don't know how I had time for that!). Does that make sense?! Was that an "aura"?

Then a few days later at home, my dh is outside and I am in the house sweeping and watching the girls when the same "short circuit" feeling started, but way more intense! I started walking down the hallway to get dh, but knew I wasn't going to make it, and I asked my 4 y/o to get daddy while I tried to sit. Next thing I know, I am sitting on the couch VERY sore. Every muscle in my body hurt! Dh said when he found me I was very limp (I think I was tense before then), drooling at the mouth, eyes open and rolled back in the head, disoriented and I had urinated on myself. He said when I did speak, nothing made sense, and I didn't recognize my children or him. In total, it took about 30 minutes to become fully oriented and alert. Not only was I so sore, but I had a horrible headache! This time I went to the ER. CT scan and EKG was normal.

Now, here are my questions. (Thank you for being patient) My neurologist has diagnosed me with seizures and has ordered an EEG and contrast dye MRI for next week to rule out Epilepsy. Why has these seizures just started?! I have a history of headaches, plus I fractured my skull as a child. Could that have caused it? I do know my mother had seizure disorder as a child that presented again later in life. Also, my younger brother had convulsions as an infant/toddler not brought on by fever. Should he be concerned about this as well? Also, since mom had seizures, now me, I am so very concerned about my two daughters. You would think since I am a clinical therapist I could talk some of this fear out of me, right?! UGH! Right now I can't drive for 3-6 months, which is rough getting to and from work, but I understand.

Oh, I am on Topamax 100mg daily.

Last edited by minner33; 08-30-2007 at 10:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User
Re: New here and scared out of my mind!

Welcome to the boards! I'm sorry you are having a tough time! A lot of things can cause seizures, and sometimes certain people never find out the cause. A head injury as a child could have caused it, and I've also heard of it being hereditary. Good luck finding some anwers.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

I'm sorry you're going through this. The stress of seizures must be the worst thing in the world especially when taking care of small children & worrying that this will happen when you are alone with them. Had you started taking any new meds prior to the first seizure? Maybe something that would contain hormones? Sorry I can't help but you're in my thoughts.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

Welcome. Childhood injuries can cause adult onset seizures. And many times, there is no reason for the seizures found. They're considered 'idiopathic', or 'cause unknown'.

You might want to consider getting a "help, I can't get up" button that you or your 4 year old can push if you get the voltage feeling, or your 4 year old can use if your husband isn't home. They get basic information, and will send an ambulance, and have a number on file for someone to get your kids. You can have a necklace with a button on it as well as the 'box'. Just an idea for safety.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
(female)

aussie308 HB User

Hello and welcome to the board. Unfortunately it is under sad curcumstances we get new members.

It sounds to me as if you have both petit mal and granmal seizures. The 'short circuit" feeling could either be a petit or an aura. The other one where you were limp, sore,incontinent and incoherent for some time sounds just like my granmals. Also they are followed by an awful headache (usually a migraine requiring special migraine meds.)

As for safety I would say since this is all so new to you and you have no warning that you know of, I would say you should not drive. If you continue to have seiz. and get to know what the warning signs are you may be able to drive later. You might also follow neurowreck suggestions and have a friend or family member 'check in" with you several times a day by calling. If you do not answer, They call back, then if you still don't alert someone to check on you. Just be sure to tell the person when you're going out and when you return. It is a pain, but it works well for a friend of mine who is alone alot.

Also be sure to learn all you can about any meds . you take and don't be afraid to speak up and hold your stance with the doc if side effects are intolerable. This is also a great place to learn about people's experiences with meds.

As for what caused them it may be something that happened to you in childhood, you don't even remember, or it could be rlinked to your headaches (sound like migraines, mine are linked) or it may never be explained.

Epilepsy or even seiz. disorders are not alwaya diagnosable with any kind of MRI, cat scan, EEG. Just be sure to keep a written log of all "funny feelings" or seizures you have. it will not only help your doc. to diagnose you, but help you learn what possible triggers may be.

Sorry this is so long, just trying to answer your questions.
And even tho it is scary, you can get thru it! You will learn to live your life as best you can, stay positive.
Good luck, Laura

Old 08-30-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User

Hi Minnie,

As aussie said it is always sad to welcome new members,but,
I would like to welcome you.And I have to agree with what
Sammi said about hormones,mine only come around my period,
they are called catamenial seizures.And like Neuro said,getting
a necklace would be a good idea.Pay attention to when your
seizures come,see if it is right before,after or during your period.

Sorry to hear what you are having to go through.And yes,like you
said reading many other post here can help you tremendously,it
helped me even after having Epilepsy for 40 years.

Good-luck,Sherri

Old 08-30-2007, 08:20 PM   #7
(female)

minner33 HB User

Thank you so much for your feedback! It has been so helpful! My neurologist has also suggested I keep a journal, as suggested here, so I will definitely do that. Another thought I had is, I seem to have an uncanny strong sense of smell sometimes. Does anyone else have that? Could this be seizure related?

Old 08-31-2007, 07:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

I also smell things that aren't there. I've always thought it is associated with my migraines but can't be sure. I've thought the house was on fire b/4 because the odor was so strong. At times I smell cigarette smoke & no one has smoked in this house & there are no neighbors so it's also imaginery. Lot of weird unexplained things goes on in my brain.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:40 PM   #9
(female)

aussie308 HB User

That's odd you should mention smelling cigarette smoke sammi. The last couple of weeks I've been getting a very strong smell of cig. smoke too. No one in our house smokes, our house is 200 yards off a little traveled road and our closest neighbor is 1/4 mile or more away. Weird huh?

So to answer your question, yes, I do smell odd things at times, or have a hightened sense of smell. I haven't had any seiz. activity for about a month and no migraines so I don't know what it is. I am very sensitive to certain smells too, but not all the time. I guess it must just be something to do with our neurology.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:43 AM   #10
(female)

shellbeach HB User
epilepsy and seizures

Hello to everyone on this thread,

Im new, this is my first posting, I am currently living in the UK, and have also lived in the US. I suffer from epilepsy after an accident 5 years ago when I was a psychology student. I am now studying epilepsy. Like you, my doctor asked me to keep a log on my seizures. Well there were some similarities [fixed eyes, jerking arm-leg movements, pains etc] but when each seizure starts it catches me by surprise. This got me thinking about the nature of seizures, and particularly the part of the brain where the processing occurs.

My own subjective belief is that PTSD alters the way we process information, this is a benefit, but the downside is the hyper-reactivity of the brain to sensory information [smells, lights, vibrations, touch]. I have two coping strategies which work well for me, and one of them helps dissipate the impulses which cause my seizures. Its like being drunk, and then sobering up in seconds.

My heart goes out to anyone with seizures. Its not a pretty place to go, but I believe its not a permanent place either. Have a nice day everyone,

Shellbeach

Old 09-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: epilepsy and seizures

PTSD definitely alters brain chemistry and reactions to things. That's more the brain/emotion and body connection vs the brain/physical and body connection- which can get tangled up sometimes. The neurotransmitters get hypersensitive with PTSD (generally caused from the emotional response to either a physical or emotional trauma).

They've also found that adults with childhood abuse have permanently rewired brain chemistries from constant fight or flight syndrome, and the neurotransmitters almost always set on "ready to fire", instead of "prepared if needed". There's physical 'kindling' with frequent seizures which is similar, in that the brain gets used to having seizures, and is more likely to have them, since the brain pattern is 'worn' in the area of the seizure focus, so it doesn't take as much to set them off.

The brain truly is amazing.

Closed Thread