It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
(female)

nerfmom HB User
seuzures and aphasia

Every time my husband has had a seizure, after he regains consciousness, he has a period of time that he is unable to speak. One of his brain lesions is in his speech center. Now, he has expressive aphasia and can't always articulate. It is frustration for both of us of course, but over the years I can generally figure out what he is trying to say. I am very protective of him and he is still a happy guy, so we are both coping.
I think that my husband's case is unique, but I wonder if anyone else has speech difficulties after having a seizure.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: seuzures and aphasia

When I start coming back around, it takes me a while to get my speech coordinated. My thoughts are fairly clear, but slow. It helps if people ask me yes/no questions so I can do thumbs up/down, or head nods/shakes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
(female)

aussie308 HB User

I almost always have trouble regaining my speech after a seiz. Sometimes it's just a matter of my speech being slow and halting with very little inflection or sometimes I have trouble even being able to think of words, let alone being able to speak them. It usually depends on the severity of the seiz. sometimes if I have a mild one in my sleep and it doesn't wake me or my husband up the only way I can be sure it happened is if my speech sounds funny in the morning. If I have a severe granmal I may not regain my abilty to speak for days. It is frustrating but my hubby knows to try to ask yes/no questions when I come around and to have a pen/paper handy for when I regain my ability to write.

Good luck to you both.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
(female)

bevin 30 HB User
Cool Re: seuzures and aphasia

hello my name is bevin and i suffer from seizures myself and when i have a seizure and when it is occuring i have trouble with my speech because I can not say anything at all. My ability to think of what to say and have it come out of my mouth is impaired. I can only respond by nodding my head to questions like can you hear me? I can hear the person talking to me but i can not verbally answer their questions. When that happens I find my speech center has been affected so that my ability to speak to answer questions while I have had a seizure is severely hampered for some unknown reason. good luck to you and your husband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerfmom View Post
Every time my husband has had a seizure, after he regains consciousness, he has a period of time that he is unable to speak. One of his brain lesions is in his speech center. Now, he has expressive aphasia and can't always articulate. It is frustration for both of us of course, but over the years I can generally figure out what he is trying to say. I am very protective of him and he is still a happy guy, so we are both coping.
I think that my husband's case is unique, but I wonder if anyone else has speech difficulties after having a seizure.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
(male)

jerry1110 HB User

Beven, my name is Jerry. I have these spells like what you wrote about. I can hear and I can understand, but I cannot respond except to blink my eyes when the tell me to (once for yes and twice for no) and sometimes move my head. I am in the hospital now because I had one of these Thursday. I had another one Friday and one Saturday. I have had serveral over the last year (since my stroke). I also have jerking spells where I will jerk once or twice. I do this two or three times a day and several times at night. They originally thought the spells where I couldn't respond were TIA's, but they are ruling that out. They called, what I had Thursday and Friday Petitma seizures. The one I had on Saturday they called a complex seizure.

Today I went down for a CT scan (with contrast) on my abdomen. They made me hold my breath for 20 seconds. I have severe pulmonary fibrosis due to PCP pneumonia (which happened three and a half years ago), and it is very difficult for me to hold my breath for five seconds, let alone 20. Afterward I went into another one of those spells. This time, it was different because I began to shake uncontrollably for around two minutes. They called my pulmonologist and she told them not to wrry about it to send me back to my room because I was having psuedoseizures. The reason I know what she said is because the two nurses aids that took me back were talking about it and about how much they disagreed with her.

I don't fake any health problems. I hate hospitals and if I even schedule myself to go near one or allow myself to be taken to one it is because I feel that it is serious. I don't know how to handle this latest news. jdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevin 30 View Post
hello my name is bevin and i suffer from seizures myself and when i have a seizure and when it is occuring i have trouble with my speech because I can not say anything at all. My ability to think of what to say and have it come out of my mouth is impaired. I can only respond by nodding my head to questions like can you hear me? I can hear the person talking to me but i can not verbally answer their questions. When that happens I find my speech center has been affected so that my ability to speak to answer questions while I have had a seizure is severely hampered for some unknown reason. good luck to you and your husband.

Closed Thread