It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 08:08 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Klonopin

Anyone just taking Klonopin as a seizure medication? If so how much do you take?

just got off the phone with my doctor and because I am in this Brain Fog (he thinks it could be anxiety and panic) he is considering just klonopin for a while as a seizure med. I told him I wanted to think about it because right noe I am not having side effects from the keppra. He also suggested maybe both. 500 mg twice a day of keppra and little bit of klonopin.

Not sure what to do. I am new this diagnosis but not to panic and anxiety

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2007, 11:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: Klonopin

I"ve taken Klonopin 4mg at bedtime (it has a long enough half life to only take it once a day, and at bedtime, the sedative effects are minimized), and it has helped to have a benzodiazepine on board. Even though it's in the same category as the anti-anxiety meds, it's almost exclusively used for seizures. I haven't had any trouble with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

Thank you for your response.

i think I am going to head for the Keppra and Klonopin. I used to take it as needed for panic but until I come to terms with seizure disorder and having to use the CPAP I am going to need the extra help.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:00 AM   #4
(female)

shellbeach HB User

Hello j2006,

I am new to this site, I have had seizures for about 5 years when I had an accident at the fair ground in the UK. I have lived in both UK and US, and currently studying the psychology of seizures [from personal insight].

You asked about Klonopin. I thought I would write a couple of lines of my own personal opinion. Klononpin will put you in more of a 'brain fog', to use your own description, which I like by the way.

Why not try this, instead. Reduce all your sensory input without the medication, and try a milder medication at night such as Nytol. I believe that some seizures are due to hyper-reactivity [sensitivity to light vibration smells etc]. Minimize all smells, limit tv and radio, soft lighting and avoid flickers, avoid anything too extreme and create yourself a dull environment in which to recover. Also avoid being alone too often, and in the company of others for too long. As you feel stronger, you can reach out for the stimuli that you need. And rest often by learning to put yourself to sleep, that helped me.

I have two coping strategies that I use, but I found meds just fogged the difficulties over and decided to go without.

Have a nice day,
Shellbeach

Old 09-03-2007, 04:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

I have had the foggy feeling with out meds. When I started the keppra it got better but not completely. I have to be on an anti seizure medication so going with out is out of the question.

Klonopin never made me feel foggy - I actually feel better with it. So I do think it is both - the seizures, anxiety and lack of sleep.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

My experience has been no brain fog with the Klonopin, so all are different with each med...and dose makes a difference. I'm on a semi-high dose. Some people take up to 20 mg/day, others only 0.5mg. I wasn't effected even from the beginning from it.

With Tegretol, Inderal, Neruontin, Zanaflex, as needed Ativan, Zocor, baby aspirin, Coumadin, 12-hour Sudafed/combination meds, new Topamax (not a factor with Klonopin), the Klonopin, and other as needed meds, the Klonopin was hardly noticed.

Closed Thread