It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
(female)

minner33 HB User
Question about EEG

Hi everyone! I had my MRI using contrast dye yesterday, so I hope all turns out well with that. Today I had my EEG done, but I had a couple questions about the procedure. (Just briefly, I am 35 y/o and I have had 3 seizures in the past 4 months and we don't know why. I have lost consciousness, urinated on myself, tensed muscles, feeling like I was "short circuiting"). Anyway:

1. During the EEG, does it pick up as to why I have constant headaches?

2. During the EEG, I had things that I can only describe as "tics" on occasion (like my head would jerk quickly, or hand, finger, etc...It does this alot, especially when relaxed). Whenever this would happen, I noticed the nurse would click the mouse on the computer and sometimes type something. What was she doing?

Can anyone else give me more information on EEG's? TIA!

Old 09-07-2007, 04:09 PM   #2
(female)

loveslight57 HB User
Re: Question about EEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by minner33 View Post
Hi everyone! I had my MRI using contrast dye yesterday, so I hope all turns out well with that. Today I had my EEG done, but I had a couple questions about the procedure. (Just briefly, I am 35 y/o and I have had 3 seizures in the past 4 months and we don't know why. I have lost consciousness, urinated on myself, tensed muscles, feeling like I was "short circuiting"). Anyway:

1. During the EEG, does it pick up as to why I have constant headaches?

2. During the EEG, I had things that I can only describe as "tics" on occasion (like my head would jerk quickly, or hand, finger, etc...It does this alot, especially when relaxed). Whenever this would happen, I noticed the nurse would click the mouse on the computer and sometimes type something. What was she doing?

Can anyone else give me more information on EEG's? TIA!
i dont think the eeg would be responsible for the tics etc.
the typing is just part of the procedure, the nurse or technician is probably typing in the different areas that are being tested. I wouldnt be concerned with that.
They do it all the time with my eeg's. I wondered about that at first myself the docter is the one who evaluates and determines what is normal or abnormal. The eeg just provides the data. I would mention the tics to your doctor though, he may have more input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: Question about EEG

If there's some belief that the 'tics' are simple partial seizures based on changes in brainwaves, that could explain the writing- or they might just be writing that something moved. The EEG won't show headaches.

EEGs can only pick up seizure focus areas that are close enough to the surface for the electrodes to catch them- so a normal EEG during a time when you're not seizing doesn't rule out seizures. Some seizures begin very deep in the brain and the EEGs can't pick them up- those are diagnosed mostly by witness reports.

TIAs are 'pre-strokes' and caused by a lack of oxygen to part of your brain for a brief time, and by definition resolve on their own within a few hours, but are warning signs of possible strokes in the future. I had one last month that effected my speech , swallowing, and balance. Within a few hours I was ok. They don't show up on scans, since there isn't any permanent damage. It's though that mine was from too LOW of a blood pressure (medication) and my brain not getting enough oxygen from that. It evened out eventually. But it's a wake up call to be sure I"m doing all I can (cholesterol is high- family history, I quit smoking, got rid of trans fats, watch saturated fats, eat healthy fats, more whole grains, fruits, veggies, etc.). TIAs are a chance to avoid "the big one".

Closed Thread