It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
(female)

nerfmom HB User
taking my husband to the doctor on Tuesday

My husband is seeing his regular doctor on Tuesday. I am going to ask about his bouts with hiccups. I am concerned that his heart is responsible for these hiccups. He has a history of heart problems and hiccups always seem to be a symptom. I am hoping the the Keppra is the cause since his hiccups returned when he starting taking the Keppra. He has no chest pain or anything else that point to more heart problems. He underwent a quad bypass several years ago. He has so many health issues besides his seizure disorder. I am going to ask for an EKG. He is 84 and at his age, most people have several health issues. At least he hasn't had any seizures since starting on Keppra and he is still his own sweet,silly self. Nothing seems to affect his personality. He is just a happy guy. He never seems to be in a bad mood.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: taking my husband to the doctor on Tuesday

The only item that comes to mind, albeit non epilepsy relayed, is the highschool student that had an elongated bout of hiccups. It made it to the national news networks a few months back. Nothing seemed to get rid of them until they went away. If I recall I thought I heard a small bit of news afterwards that said they started back up again. Did not hear a final piece on her case status.

That is the only other recent news I can think of for a prolonged hiccup situation.

I do remember the news story said her voice was warn out due to all the hiccups (similar to screaming at a concert) and was hoarse.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
(female)

momof36 HB User

How much Keppra is your husband on?

Old 09-10-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
(female)

nerfmom HB User

750 mg. twice a day.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
(male)

limeridge11 HB User

That problem for me was to much keppra I was on 3500mg now down to 3000 so yes my DR. said keppra can do that just take deep breathes and it goes away like that. Trust me use to have to do it all the time..

Old 09-12-2007, 08:17 AM   #6
(female)

nerfmom HB User

Update: The doctor said that my husband's heart sounds fine and he also thinks it might be the Keppra causing his hiccups. But, since he has had no seizures while on the Keppra, we are keeping him on it. It has been many years since he hasn't had at least several seizures during a few months time. He has so many more health issues besides his seizures that it is hard to keep track of all his ailments. But for 84, he is holding his own. He is still active and we keep busy with things. So, for right now, I am breathing easier. Our Thanksgiving trip is still on, as the doctor thought it was fine.

Closed Thread