It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
(female)

dvweez HB User
Not Working

I used to work full-time and had a pretty stressful job at a surgery center. I loved the fast pace and multi-tasking. Unfortunately, I have not worked for a year. I have about 2 - 4 seizures a month (I am very grateful after reading what many of you are going through, that my situation is not worse). Between meds and the after effects of a craniotomy I have a tough time with mult-tasking, following conversations, tired...etc.
I live in a very rural area and my husband works alot, so it is just me at home. No driving... and not getting to town unless he is off. I am not going out on our property much....due to the fact I am on my own and everyone worries about seizures...falls etc. After reading your stories, I feel pretty guilty. Pity party? I hope not...but guess I am sounding like that...I always try to figure out what my purpose is...not going anywhere like this...
Any suggestions...or comments....

Old 09-13-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: Not Working

I ended up moving from a rural area when my seizures worsened (no transit what so ever) to the large metro downtown. That gave me an apartment, access to the bus system to get around, and let me get out for the first time on my own. When that area of the city was going downhill I looked what other cities in the state had mass transit (my first requirement) and I could pay for housing. I came up with three cities out of the metro. I didn't care to live in the 'burbs.

I know you don't care to move... but thats what I did. It does hold us back a little bit not being able to drive anymore. It hold me back even NOW for potential jobs being this cities system is minimal, half on saturday, and none on sunday.

The effects of medications are different for each patient. Best advice is keep a monthly log (day by day if needed). I learned to be my primary advocate and started reading up on my medications. My previous doc once told me I was one of the few patients he didn't have to be concerned about. He knew if there was something wrong I'd call in. Now I'm having issues and the new one doesn't seem concerned and I have to push to get answers or have things done.

I need to use family for transit out of the city; or once I met up with them in the metro by catching the jumper (airplane) and the hotel they were at had a free van to bring me there from the airport. Made it interesting. Isn't the best, but not a lot we can do not being able to drive anymore.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
(male)

limeridge11 HB User
Re: Not Working

I'm in the same shoes here. I have been off work for a good year. I use to be a baker and loved my job. I have had brain surgery and that made things worst in some ways for me. There is good and bad things , like memory is very bad can't remember anything so jobs don't like that. My speech is very bad like talking to people knowing what to say to others. That was never me I use to keep people laughing and chatting along. Now life is just not like that. THe only fun I get in life now is I volunteer which I love to do. I workout at the gym which is great to meet other people. I do find in life that you can make things better by just trying.

Never worry about not working if your off for a good reason. At least you try and go along with life. Keep in touch people . Limeridge

Closed Thread