It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
(female)

ann77 HB User
Hello!

Hi, I just found this site today... I had my first (and hopefully last) Grand Mal seizure 5 months ago yesterday - I quit my job of teaching partly due to driving inconveniences... my husband has been very supportive taking me on errands... but I am so ready to 'regain' my independence. I hope to continue driving in one month from today... that will be my six month mark. I am not on any medication - the Neuro left that up to me and we decided to take the 'wait and see' method - since this was my first one. Medical world has no clue why I had the seizure... I had taken an allergy pill from over the counter that day, but had always taken allergies meds. I guess I'd like to hear from others who have gone 5 months w/o seizures... did you have another one, or any one out there only have the one? The past few days I have felt very irritable and been rather grouchy... anyone ever had feelings like this to proceed a Grand Mal?!? Thanks for your time! I feel SO blessed after reading many of your posts!

Old 09-13-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
(female)

ann77 HB User
Re: Hello!

testing reply board

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
(female)

lamac HB User

Hi ann....I was diagnosed after having several tonic clonic seizures when I was 40 years old. I was put on medication right away for a couple of reasons...I had more than one seizure at the time...and...after interveiws with a couple of neurologists...it was surmised that I had been having simple partial seizures for about 20 years...since a car accident....but I didn't know they were seizures...just strange feelings...

It is good that you are aware now of strange feelings...you said you were feeling irritable and grouchy...now, if anything did happen...like another seizure...you would be aware of the feelings pre-seizure. Let's hope you are just having a grouchy day and your days of seizures are long gone....

good luck in your 6th month

Lamac

Old 09-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
(female)

ann77 HB User

Hi - what are simple partial seizures?
Thanks for replying - yes... I trust they are gone, I want my independence back! (driving, etc) Do you drive? I do find that my memory isn't as good since b/f the seizure - and sometimes I just don't 'feel right' - have had a couple very dizzy spells, but none like that in about 4 months...

Old 09-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Hi Ann,
Welcome to the board.
I have simple partial seizures, too. They are also called "auras". A lot of times they are just the warning signs before a larger seizure happens (the simple partial seizure can be any kind of stange feelings, smelling or hearing things that aren't there, or with me, my right arm and leg shake). But some people get them by themselves where they aren't a warning of a gran mal seizure coming. I've been having simple partial seizures for about 13 years. About 6 and a half years ago, they were getting worse, and then one generalized into a gran mal. That was when I was put on meds, and I've been on them ever since. But I still get simple partial seizures a couple times a month, related to my menstral cycle.

Good luck with everything!

Last edited by SentenceDoing; 09-14-2007 at 01:44 PM.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
(female)

bevin 30 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann77 View Post
Hi, I just found this site today... I had my first (and hopefully last) Grand Mal seizure 5 months ago yesterday - I quit my job of teaching partly due to driving inconveniences... my husband has been very supportive taking me on errands... but I am so ready to 'regain' my independence. I hope to continue driving in one month from today... that will be my six month mark. I am not on any medication - the Neuro left that up to me and we decided to take the 'wait and see' method - since this was my first one. Medical world has no clue why I had the seizure... I had taken an allergy pill from over the counter that day, but had always taken allergies meds. I guess I'd like to hear from others who have gone 5 months w/o seizures... did you have another one, or any one out there only have the one? The past few days I have felt very irritable and been rather grouchy... anyone ever had feelings like this to proceed a Grand Mal?!? Thanks for your time! I feel SO blessed after reading many of your posts!
hello ann my name is bevin and i have what is called non specific seizure disorder my neurologist called it that when I was twenty one years old and i am now thirty yrs of age going on thirty one yrs of age. My seizures started at the age of four for me and back then my neurologist vists could not diagnose me the right way but suspected me to have seizures in my temporal lobe region of my brain.any time I have seizure or a break through seizure i get very irritable, nasty, bitchy, that is usually one of my warning signs besides a seizure headache , lightheadedness, dizziness, and a feeling of wanting to pass out. those are the other warning signs and actually seeing green spots flash before my eyes if i look at a wall or rug or furniture or anything in the room where I am. my seizures when i was a child would be lasting half an hour or more as an adult my seizures lasted about less than half an hour or sometimes it would last half an hour.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #7
(female)

ann77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevin 30 View Post
hello ann my name is bevin and i have what is called non specific seizure disorder my neurologist called it that when I was twenty one years old and i am now thirty yrs of age going on thirty one yrs of age. My seizures started at the age of four for me and back then my neurologist vists could not diagnose me the right way but suspected me to have seizures in my temporal lobe region of my brain.any time I have seizure or a break through seizure i get very irritable, nasty, bitchy, that is usually one of my warning signs besides a seizure headache , lightheadedness, dizziness, and a feeling of wanting to pass out. those are the other warning signs and actually seeing green spots flash before my eyes if i look at a wall or rug or furniture or anything in the room where I am. my seizures when i was a child would be lasting half an hour or more as an adult my seizures lasted about less than half an hour or sometimes it would last half an hour.

Hi, Just today I was emailing a friend and got this 'out of body' feeling... got dizzy - I just knew the big one was on its way! I got up and went to sit down, where I'd at least be safer... fortunately, nothing more happened, but it was still very scary! What a life! I'm assuming your 'feeling of wanting to pass out' might be this 'out of body' thing I felt... very lightheaded and like you're not actually in your body... does that make sense? I am within 2 weeks of driving again... I don't need another seizure to start the 6 months all over again! Good Luck!

Closed Thread