It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
(male)

wffirefighter HB User
Depakote ER side effect ?

Hello all,

iam a firefighter that had a seizure on August 25th first one ever and i was put on Topamax for a day and a half and then the doc switched me over to Depakote ER.

I cannot work being a firefighter until iam cleared but i can go to the firehouse and chill and hangout with my crew. Well yesterday was my first FULL day on it since i take it once a day before bed time and well i was HYPER FULL OF ENERGY sort of like i was on drugs. it might have been the ONE large cup of coffee i had but i doubt it because it lasted THE ENTIRE DAY AND NIGHT!!! well to say the least i was bouncing off the walls going over the trucks and cleaning and walking back and forth throughout the station. Had a prank that went bad where i got locked in the cleaning room and i came out and the guy who locked me in there got sprayed with a apple scent spray he said it was ON!!! so i said ok and then i took a sip of water he got the idea and poured a cup of water on me well i got wet took off my shirts and was about to pull down my shorts (had boxer shorts under-neath) and got a woah cause there was a girl in the room even though shes apart of the crew and doesnt act like one but moving on. and the water that got over i cleaned it up just by mopping the entire floor and i never do that so again it seemed like i was on drugs and today i got called into the station by the chief and basically was told i cannot come back to the station until my next doctor visit on october 4th. because of the reaction last night of being so hyper or so energetic and the thought of being on drugs and the safety of others.So i was given a couple of books and was told to get a reading and do a couple of papers and have them ready when i return.

Well with that said Anybody else have the side effect of being hyper or very energetic ?

Rob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: Depakote ER side effect ?

You reacted opposite to how the drug usually causes symptoms. Drowsiness, upset stomach, and other symptoms are frequently reported. Hyperness is VERY RARE to abnormal.

You should report this reaction to your Dr (Neuro) and see what they say to you about it. Always keep your Neuro up to date about how your body reacts to medication, or if it all of a sudden acts or "feels" out of normal. It will help them in treating you.

As for your posts statement about being placed briefly on Topamax... Usually patients are not placed on Topa briefly unless they show reaction or bad symptoms to the medication (then taken off). Being you didn't explain at all (or maybe were not told) why you did remain on Topamax I canot go off in that direction. I can explain for your benefit that Topa is increased weekly in 25mg bits so the body can adapt. It takes that long for the body to readapt to this medication. Topamax is not for everybody.

--Travis

Old 09-16-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
(male)

wffirefighter HB User

to answer your question im not really sure why but i think it was something about him saying it wasnt going to work for me.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:04 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

I agree w travis in the affects it has on different individuals. I took topomax last year for about a few months and it actually had the opposite effects on me. I had slow body reactions, deppression, weakness, upset stomach and more and eventhough it takes a while for any person to adjust to AEMs, this would b one of the slowest meds to adjust to, cause it doesnt work for everyone; I had to b taken off and switched to another. I also suggest to speak to ur neuro soon if this persist because there's gotta b another AEM that would work better for u. In case u didnt know, the majority of epileptic individuals go through so many AEMs given by their neuro in a matter of years just trying to find the correct AEM that will work with the type of seizures that person has. it's not easy, but its annoying especially to the body during all the transactions from one med to another. My only way out of meds was surgery this year, but that was my solution after 10 years in different AEMs and ther type of epilepsy I had. Once again, speak to your neuro and I hope everything goes well.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
(male)

winston59 HB User

wfffirefighter,

I am on 250mg of depakote one in the am and one in the pm. I was told to stay away from caffeine while on depakote. I used to be able to drink 1/2 caff 1/2 regular but can't even do that anymore because that brings on "mini" seizures. Perhaps it was that one coffee.

Last edited by winston59; 09-18-2007 at 06:06 PM.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:37 PM   #6
(male)

andy62 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Depakote ER side effect ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wffirefighter View Post
Hello all,

iam a firefighter that had a seizure on August 25th first one ever and i was put on Topamax for a day and a half and then the doc switched me over to Depakote ER.

I cannot work being a firefighter until iam cleared but i can go to the firehouse and chill and hangout with my crew. Well yesterday was my first FULL day on it since i take it once a day before bed time and well i was HYPER FULL OF ENERGY sort of like i was on drugs. it might have been the ONE large cup of coffee i had but i doubt it because it lasted THE ENTIRE DAY AND NIGHT!!! well to say the least i was bouncing off the walls going over the trucks and cleaning and walking back and forth throughout the station. Had a prank that went bad where i got locked in the cleaning room and i came out and the guy who locked me in there got sprayed with a apple scent spray he said it was ON!!! so i said ok and then i took a sip of water he got the idea and poured a cup of water on me well i got wet took off my shirts and was about to pull down my shorts (had boxer shorts under-neath) and got a woah cause there was a girl in the room even though shes apart of the crew and doesnt act like one but moving on. and the water that got over i cleaned it up just by mopping the entire floor and i never do that so again it seemed like i was on drugs and today i got called into the station by the chief and basically was told i cannot come back to the station until my next doctor visit on october 4th. because of the reaction last night of being so hyper or so energetic and the thought of being on drugs and the safety of others.So i was given a couple of books and was told to get a reading and do a couple of papers and have them ready when i return.

Well with that said Anybody else have the side effect of being hyper or very energetic ?

Rob

Old 09-19-2007, 09:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Winston,

Caffine is a KNOWN trigger for seizures. It does not effect everybody, but it is a substance that is known to cause seizures.

Just as with some patients flashing lights can trigger seizures (photo-sensitive) , and others will be perfectly fine.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:42 AM   #8
(female)

bevin 30 HB User

hello rob my name is bevin and also take depakote er but have no hyper fits but it makes me tired and sound stoned and makes me more sensitive to any flashing or blinking lights or strobe lights. for me flashing lights, stress and lack of sleep can trigger my seizure. on ocassion i may seem hyper on depakote because i am also quick to feel anger more on this medicine. when I was about four years old I was put on phenibarbitol which i was eventually allergic too and seemed a little more active with but then came tegretol which i was also quickly allergic too and was very hyper on. I hope this may help some what. I wish luck being on depakote er . It helps control seizures but is a pain to have to deal with taking twice a day every day in and day out or however the neurologist doc prescribes it to other patients in other unique circumstances such as yourself. I am sure the hyperness from depakote er you experience can be alieviated. goodluck and good health to you as well.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:26 AM   #9
(male)

wffirefighter HB User

Just to let you guys know i havent had that hyper day like i had the first night i took it. im now up too 1000mg of Depakote ER Once a day well once a night since i only take it right before bed time.

Rob

Old 09-24-2007, 02:22 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

Rob its great to hear your system is adjusting to the medication and that ur hyperness is under control. It wasnt abnormal to have had such side affect w that med, but its great to know ur body has adjusted. Hopefuly everything keeps goign so well for u, good luck

Laura

Old 01-30-2008, 04:37 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
Smile Re: Depakote ER side effect ?

hi all thought id jump in here and tell you i just started Depakote ER i take 500mgs at 10am and another 500mgs at 10pm its working wonders for me im going on my 2nd week but i feel and see the difference allready they only side effect i had was alittle upset stomach but its past and a little dizziness but not the kind of dizziness i had with a seizure im walking around in the stores and so far i have had not one seizure and as for caffine i wasnt told anything about that i drink 2 cups of coffee and then drink pepsi and as for the hyperness i did have that the first few days but its gone now .iam able to walk anywhere now and not fall down and thats the proudest thing i have ever felt i suffered 2 yrs before i foud out it was seizures this medication seems to be working great for me before anytime id leave id fall down or passout now i dont i walked all around walmart the other day fr about a hr and never felt faint or anything i felt PROUD AND HAPPY i feel great on this medication and why the high dose i dont really know i guess maybe because i was having alot of seizures i was having alot my eyes were flickering all the time and id just drop to the floor now i dont even fall im able to take a shower and not be scared i can walk in the stores without a wheelchair and i feel i finally got my life back depakote xr seems to work great for me and most of the side effects have gone i dont even get the upset stomach as bad now either and the coffee or pepsi dont seem to bother me at all i love the way this medication works at first i was scared to take it but im glsd i did and see all the drs family practice and a few others kept saying it was panic well once my internal med dr found out it was seizures mhe has no prob giving me xanax 1 mgs he wants to switch me to ativan to see if it helps better so im going to try them and if they dont work im going back to xanax i done tried klonipins 1 mgs and they did nothing to calm me down so im hoping ativan works .but so far so good depakote xr 1000 mgs a day really works for me so far and im hoping it stays working......
gods
vickie

Closed Thread