It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 12:14 AM   #1
(male)

andy62 HB User
Exclamation Epilem does it work? or is it my lifestyle

Hi to you all this is my first msg on this site. I have been I have had the misfortune of having these grand mal seizures for 8 years now an when it first happened I woke up in an ambulance still in my work clobber saying I have to go to work, this was the start of a brand new era in the way I looked at me and people looked at me especially employers even friends who wanted me to "take it easy".
I went to Dr and he put me on a drug cant remember its name as it was like my brain was operating at a different frequency to my physical person. Anyway now Im on Epilem at first 500mg then a year later about the same time another seizure so 750mg and so on today I take 2000mg a day and it must be doing some good / harm.
I only know that if I get tierd or if I put too much effort into a job (stress) be it physical or mental it can bring on a siezure it has been called grand mal on awakening and I dont really know how to stop it as every father of 4 has to bring home the bacon and that meens sometimes not enough sleep or sleepless nights worried about something or other.
I didnt want this to sound like a complaint to the world I just cant get anything to work for the total control of this almost parasitic disease
I read on this site someone said a magic wand would be great to fix it.
I can say this without a doubt Tired /drink too much/work too hard/ not enough dark and too much daylight 4 me + SEIZURE ON AWAKENING but I cant not do all these things all of the time . Does any of this sound familiar to you readers out there regards andy62

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User
Re: Epilem does it work? or is it my lifestyle

Hi Andy, and welcome!

Sorry, I'm not familiar w/Epilem, but I sure have experience with some of the seizure triggers you mentioned. Sleep deprivation is my numero uno trigger. I have to sleep no less than 10 hours a night now. As a matter of fact, my epi. doc has prescribed a drug for me to assure that I sleep like a rock.

Stress can cause increased seizure activity. For me, extreme heat and too much activity, even fun activity like boating or jet skiing can bring on a seizure...as well as social situations where I'm talking to a lot of people in one night. I call it "Brain overstimulation."

The key is recognizing your "triggers" and doing everything possible to take it easy. You can't avoid them completely, but if you start to feel like you're overworked, take a step back...maybe take five minutes, find a quiet place and just relax.

Also, be sure to communicate with your neurologist. That is most important! Perhaps your Epilem dosage needs to be tweaked or you need an add-on drug? Or maybe you could benefit from a "rescue drug" like a low dose of Ativan (Lorazapam) that you can take if you feel a seizure coming on?

Talk to your doc...that's why he gets the big bucks!

Old 09-19-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: Epilem does it work? or is it my lifestyle

In the US we call Epilim (sp?) "Depakote" for the rest of the readers...

--Travis

I was on it with other meds... it sort of worked for me. Then again this was during the time they were trying to find what would control my seizures. That took YEARS to find a blend that worked.

Usually it is taken 2x/day They DO have a newer version released (thinking) 3 or 4 years ago I think that can be taken 1x/day due to it's extended release version. Greyish purple tab if I recall. Different formulation compared to the orange or pink (250/500mg if I recall). Long time since I have been on the pinks (500's).

Closed Thread