It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
(female)

tanyanubin HB User
Could my Daughter have partial epilepsy? Weird Symptoms

My 17-year old daughter has been having depersonalization symptoms for several years. They come and go. They seem to be triggered by several different prescription drugs--Adderall being the worst. She described other aspects of her 'spells' to me the other night, and I think she might be having seizures. She describes several kinds of spells: one is a rush of hyper-reality in which everything is suddenly extremely vivid and clear--comes on fast, often triggered by light differences, like dark-to-light--taking her shirt off, taking goggles off, etc... it really scares her; another is a period of time when her skin is either numb or feels odd, like a conveyer belt. She can't feel things, and has been burnt by water that was too hot-she even has little scars between her thumb and pointer where she pinches herself to feel something; another is visual alterations like things looking too small, too fake, too far away, etc--she describes some of this as looking like a movie set. She only told me about these really weird symptoms 2 nights ago. I thought up til now that she was having a reaction to various medications--the depersonalization. But the physical aspects, especially the numbness, etc, made me think this might be seizures. Amazingly stupidly, I didn't think of this before-- my older daughter had complex partial epilepsy from 2 or 3 til puberty when it went away. I just didn't know how often these spells have been occuring, or all the details. I think she may have thought she was losing her mind and didn't want to tell me. I can't believe she has gone through school, done activities and kept a job, etc while having these things from 5 to 20 times a day. We have an appointment with a neurologist in 2 weeks. I can't believe I missed this for so long. Any of you know of symptoms like this?

Last edited by tanyanubin; 09-19-2007 at 11:39 AM. Reason: mistake

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
(female)

elizleigh HB User
Re: Could my Daughter have partial epilepsy? Weird Symptoms

Those could very well be partial seizures. I have some that are kind of similar. Make sure to let the neuro know about your other daughter's history and make sure he does an EEG on her. Best of luck

Old 09-19-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyanubin View Post
...another is visual alterations like things looking too small, too fake, too far away, etc--she describes some of this as looking like a movie set... Any of you know of symptoms like this?
On a medication I am on, Topamax, It will cause what commonly is called "alice in wonderland" effect. Unsure if that is a clinical term, but on here I have seen it used many times. Good example. I was watching TV and all of a sudden that wall (where the TV was) seemed to be farther away then it is. Or the exact opposite could happen and some objects could seem closer (larger) than normal. Basicly a visual seizure only. It effects the magnification perception and no other parts of the body/brain.

That is the only symptom I can help on. Best advice is see a Neurologist and see what battery of tests they will order.

--Travis

Old 09-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

Definitely sounds like partial seizures to me!

Old 09-20-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

I had experienced some of ur daugthers' symptoms before as well; I had Complex partial seizures. I experienced (auras) which occur any time of the day several times a day and u mentally battle them to stop an attack from ocuring. Its very hard to explain in words, but i know she'll b ok. Take her to the neurologist and have them do an EEG so they can clasify the type of seizure, and the best med for her. I wish her and u the best

Old 09-20-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
(female)

tanyanubin HB User

Thank you all for your kind words and advice. I'm sure I'll be here alot!

Closed Thread