It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
(female)

jlbalcer HB User
Refractory Seizures

My son (who turned 10 yesterday!) has had seizures since he was 7 months old. We went through a period of about three years of great seizure control, but the past couple of years his seizures have become uncontrollable. His neuro and I both believe that his increase in seizures, despite medications, is due to anxiety and over stimulation at school. He doesn't have near the number of seizures at home, where things are calm and not brightly lit. We placed him on Zoloft on top of his Depokene and Trileptal. This had seemed to have helped for a while, but this past week has been a NIGHTMARE!!!! On Tuesday, he was sent to the ER via ambulance from school because he had 5 generalized seizures in 30 minutes and his vitals were dropping. Yesterday he had two generalized seizures, and today he had 4. I just don't understand the sudden change. He has a history of status seizures, and has many different type of seizures.

Do any of you have experience with anxiety/overstimulation induced seizures?

Old 09-22-2007, 07:38 PM   #2
(female)

MJan HB User
Re: Refractory Seizures

I dont have any information but wanted you to know that I do FEEL for you and what you all are going through. Having been through many status seizures with my hubby I know it gets scary.

I have this wonderful chiropractor and amazing nurtritionist that can evaluate the source of illnesses, or disorders. They both have saved my life. But for my hubby he was TOXIC from meds and from stressors.

See if you can identify any new stressors. Keep him home more or home school him for awhile...wondering if that will help some.

Good luck and keep us informed,

Warmly, Jan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User

Hi,

I do know that just a few months ago when my doctor put me
on Zoloft,that my seizures increased and I too had to go to ER.
I then was taken off the Zoloft,but,in the last six weeks I have
about 36-40 seizures,which is very abnormal for me.I normally only
have about 3-6 in a months time.I also normally only have complex
partials,but,within the last few weeks I have had about 6 grandmals
and a few drop attacks on top of all of that.Good-luck,Sherri

Old 03-07-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
(female)

Aurorasmommy HB User

Hello... I see that this was posted back in September... I was wondering how your son is doing now? Have you gotten the seizures under control again?

Did he have alot of seizures in the begining? Or did they work up to that? I have been worried that even though my daughter has very Irregular seizures, that it could get bad? or does it start off that way?

Anyways, I hope your son is doing better...

Old 03-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurorasmommy View Post
Did he have alot of seizures in the begining? Or did they work up to that? I have been worried that even though my daughter has very Irregular seizures, that it could get bad? or does it start off that way?
I know I'm not the original poster, but I have some input for you on this. In personal experience I started off at age 12 or so with very intermittent simple-partial seizures. I'd only get them once in a while, and they were very minor. They actually went away for a couple years, and then they came back again and they were worse in intensity and more frequent. They kept getting gradually worse until, when I was 18, I had a grand mal seizure. I went on meds after this, but until my meds were regulated to the point where they are now, they kept spreading to affect different areas of my body (at first they only affected my leg and shoulder on my right side, but they started spreading to my wrist, forearm, toes, fingers, neck, and side on my right side) before my meds seemed to get them mostly under control to where they have a regular pattern now (catamenial- they occur with different stages of my monthly cycle) and have stopped spreading to different parts of my body.
All cases are different, but it is possible for seizures to keep getting worse until they are under control with the right meds.

Closed Thread