It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
(male)

vtsammy HB User
Bad Memory...

I have a very bad memory when it comes to my epilepsy. Whether it comes from my epilepsy or medication, I'm not sure. It's one thing if I were to forget what I did the other weekend, or where I ate, etc. But I realized that it was bad when there were certain vacations I wasn't sure that I went too, a friends wedding I didn't remember if I went to, and I forgot that my grandmother passed away. This is scary to me because I feel like it's been getting worst with age. Does anybody else have a problem w/ your memory?

Old 09-21-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
(female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User
Re: Bad Memory...

What meds are you on? I had terrible memory problems while on Topamax. Now that I'm off it, I'm amazed at all the stuff coming back to me. I even remembered something from my childhood yesterday (finding a McDonalds in Holland when I was 4!).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
(female)

valeriedl HB User

After my first sez I lost over 10 years of memory. There are some things that are still up there, but most of them are gone. Even now things that happened months or even weeks ago are gone.

My neuro said that it is because I have so many "bad spots" in my brian that is what is causing it.

It's just something that I've just learned to deal with. I also think it's funny when someone tells me something I did, that I would never think I would have done! I'm finding a lot of things out about my self that I didn't know!

Old 10-07-2007, 03:30 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

I can totally relate to the memory issues, but I can't blame it on the Topamax, as my memory problems skyrocketed back in March, when my TIA (small stroke) triggered off a round of seizures - and that was before I ever started on the Topamax. I've also found that cognitive therapy helped the memory problems to some degree, but it took ALOT of work and patience.

Backtracking to note that I was on seizure meds from the age of 17-35, then stopped them for 10 years, since I was seizure-free. So whether the memory problems stem from the epilepsy, prior years of medication, this TIA, or a combination of the three, I truly don't know the answer to that. Perhaps someone else knows the answer to that, I'm curious myself. I do know that memory problems are very common though. If you're having any concerns, you can ask your neurologist for a neuropsych eval; that test will zero in on the cognitive areas of the brain that you're having difficulties with.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

Hello everyone, memory lost for epileptic individuals are due to the loss of brain cells every time u have a spell. the closer the epileptic cells r to the memory storage in ur brain the worst it seems. I had seizures for 20 yrs and was on meds for 10, but i had developed sclerosis so my memory was not going to get any better, my only way out was surgey. Since surgery 6 months ago, my memory has gotten better and i remember many things from the past and even from my childhood. The brain does work in weird ways but there are ways to help urself; like writting a diary, to do list, journals and more, this helped me a lot b4. Sit down w ur neuro after they have ur neuro/spych evaluation done this can explain ur memory loss n any questions u may have. Good luck

Old 10-08-2007, 03:58 AM   #6
(female)

WhereIsTheLight HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 030free View Post
Hello everyone, memory lost for epileptic individuals are due to the loss of brain cells every time u have a spell. the closer the epileptic cells r to the memory storage in ur brain the worst it seems. I had seizures for 20 yrs and was on meds for 10, but i had developed sclerosis so my memory was not going to get any better, my only way out was surgey. Since surgery 6 months ago, my memory has gotten better and i remember many things from the past and even from my childhood. The brain does work in weird ways but there are ways to help urself; like writting a diary, to do list, journals and more, this helped me a lot b4. Sit down w ur neuro after they have ur neuro/spych evaluation done this can explain ur memory loss n any questions u may have. Good luck
Hi, I've read this post with a lot of attention. Since I am interested in this topic as well as your input on how to help ourselves and those caring for our health. I'd like to invite you to join me on a separate post and add as many things your mind can come up with.

Nothing has helped me so fare neither in remembering nor in improving memory that keeps on ........

WhereIsTheLight?

Old 10-08-2007, 08:34 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

I appreciate that very much, one of the reasons many of us continue to come to this board is to share our wonderful stories and help others in the same situations. I meet u there!

Last edited by 030free; 10-08-2007 at 08:57 PM. Reason: edit

Old 10-11-2007, 10:29 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

JulJul22 HB User

Hello good people!
I have had memory problems since I can remember. I havenít been officially diagnosed with epilepsy yet although I truly believe that is what I have. (See post: Giving up hope). I have to write everything down. I even have to write a lot of notes on my hands as I write so many notes, I often loose them. I didnít know that my memory problems would have anything to do with seizures. I know how frustrating it can be. I just feel stupid. I know that there has to be an underlined explanation for it.

Closed Thread