It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2007, 07:31 AM   #1
(male)

vtsammy HB User
why is health insurance so difficult?

I have had great difficulty getting health insurance so I have epilepsy. Since I have this previous condition nobody would accept me. I have my own business and the only way to get health insurance is I had to open up a group company insurance in which I am paying $800/month for myself and 1 employee. Any suggestions?

Sam

Old 09-21-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
(female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User
Re: why is health insurance so difficult?

When I was working as an independent contractor about 3 years ago, I tried to get insurance and was denied incessantly. I finally had to sign up for a High Risk Insurance plan through Blue Cross. It was about $400/month.

Vote democrat. It's the only chance that people like you and me (who cannot afford ourageous insurance premiums) will get the assistance they need. Republicans don't care about the health care debaucle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

They see people with "pre-existing conditions" as a high risk.

I went from having insurance with a known name company, to when the family tried to start up a company with others and then we were denied by the same company from transferring the policy over. We had to buy an emergency 3 month plan and apply to EVERYBODY on medical only (no dental). Out of all those applications only ONE took us. The claimed we could add dental in a few years. Well, needless to say that was a false statment.

It is a risk analysis with some medical conditions. They don't like some neurological conditions for some reason. They don't want to be the one caught holding the bag if there is a huge hospital expense (as if there's anything we could do to prevent it!)

--Travis

Old 09-21-2007, 09:32 AM   #4
(male)

vtsammy HB User

Thanks Topomax,

Right now I have Carefirst Blue Cross and I pay $800 for myself and 1 of my employees. So you received an individual membership through bluecross even though you had a pre existing condition? What kind of coverage do you have?

Old 09-21-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
(female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User

Had. I had Blue Cross of California (Prudent Buyer Plan). I unfortunately had a terrible reaction to Topamax which resulted in me losing my consulting job of five years and shortly thereafter my health insurance (I couldn't afford to pay it).

I went through a broker. That might be your best bet to find something more reasonable.

Closed Thread