It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
(female)

bevin 30 HB User
can any tell me whattypeofbirthcontrolisbesttousetopreve ntpregnancywhileondepakote?

hello again i have a purely research question since most oral seizure meds can interfere with the potency of oral contraceptives which is the best form of contraceptive method to use other than oral since my depakote may interfere with an oral contraceptive when i have a child? If any one can answer this question I would appreciate your knowledge and guidance. Thank you to anyone who answers such a difficult question. bevin

Old 09-25-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
(female)

Heavensnorthstr HB User
Smile Re: can any tell me whattypeofbirthcontrolisbesttousetopreve ntpregnancywhileondepako

I am going to guess here, since I dont know for certain, but I would imagine an IUD might be the route to head to prevent pregnancy since the oral ones are risky. Other then that your options are few since all contraceptives for the most part use hormones. There are two forms of IUD a copper and plastic, the Mirena (plastic one) has little amounts of progesterone in it, the copper IUD however has no hormones. A diaphram is another option however not comfortably effective like most contraceptives. And of course condoms, which you have no reason to worry of hormones or effects with drugs. As far as any other, i.e. the shot that would have to be discussed with a dr to find out if that would be effective while on anti-epileptic medications. I hope that somewhat anwsered your question.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
(female)

bevin 30 HB User
Re: can any tell me whattypeofbirthcontrolisbesttousetopreve ntpregnancywhileondepako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavensnorthstr View Post
I am going to guess here, since I dont know for certain, but I would imagine an IUD might be the route to head to prevent pregnancy since the oral ones are risky. Other then that your options are few since all contraceptives for the most part use hormones. There are two forms of IUD a copper and plastic, the Mirena (plastic one) has little amounts of progesterone in it, the copper IUD however has no hormones. A diaphram is another option however not comfortably effective like most contraceptives. And of course condoms, which you have no reason to worry of hormones or effects with drugs. As far as any other, i.e. the shot that would have to be discussed with a dr to find out if that would be effective while on anti-epileptic medications. I hope that somewhat anwsered your question.
thank you heavensnorthstr for such a wealth of information about contraceptive methods like iud's and other types of contraceptive methods. i have a lot to talk to my doctor about when it comes to those optiond you mentioned. bevin

Closed Thread